Thinking about jumping back in--Ninja 1000?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm tall also and can't get comfortable on a sportbike. I have a Harley Dyna with forward controls. Very comfortable with the H-D "Tallboy" seat. I think the Street Bob can be ordered now with fwd controls, but the Wide Glide already has them.

I don't care for the new (4 pipe outlet) Ninja 1000. A riding buddy has one and he does not like it either. It's fast, but does not have all that much torque. It's jet engine smooth too. But, it's heavy steering, a bit cramped and reasonably uncomfortable.

I recently purchased a used SV1000. I like it because it's mine, but it's not really up to modern standards, either in power or comfort. It is reasonably light feeling though. Unlike the ninja 1000.

I much prefer the FZ1.

Speed Triple,of course! I am 6'4" and bought an inexpensive set of lower footpeg mounts and cheap spacers that raised the handlebar just a bit. Installed all of it in under an hour. TORQUE!!

Originally Posted By: hal2626
Speed Triple,of course! I am 6'4" and bought an inexpensive set of lower footpeg mounts and cheap spacers that raised the handlebar just a bit. Installed all of it in under an hour. TORQUE!!

One good thing is to be able to modify a bike if it doesn't fit well. Triumphs, Harleys have an almost infinite selection of seats, footpegs, etc to get you comfortable. I'm 6'6" 270# BTW. Was very hard to find a bike that fit right.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I'm tall also and can't get comfortable on a sportbike. I have a Harley Dyna with forward controls. Very comfortable with the H-D "Tallboy" seat. I think the Street Bob can be ordered now with fwd controls, but the Wide Glide already has them.

Sorry, just not a Harley guy. I actually stopped in a HD dealer last Sunday. I was a little intrigued by the V-Rod because of its Porsche designed, liquid-cooled engine. I threw a leg over and uuggghhhh! What a pig! I checked the specs and I think it weighed 680 lbs dry! How do you turn this Queen Mary?

I guess I'm just in love with bikes that go fast and handle.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I don't care for the new (4 pipe outlet) Ninja 1000. A riding buddy has one and he does not like it either. It's fast, but does not have all that much torque. It's jet engine smooth too. But, it's heavy steering, a bit cramped and reasonably uncomfortable.

I recently purchased a used SV1000. I like it because it's mine, but it's not really up to modern standards, either in power or comfort. It is reasonably light feeling though. Unlike the ninja 1000.

I much prefer the FZ1.

I believe I mentioned in the first post that I liked everything but the stock exhaust. I've checked and there are a LOT of aftermarket megaphones and full pipes for this bike. In all the bike rag comparos, the writers rave about the torque of the 1043cc Kawi engine. The only complaint has been a slight buzz at high rpm. The uncrouched riding position and bar will naturally require a bit more input to turn but at street speeds 10ths it reportedly handles great. You may prefer the FZ1 but the magazine reviewers sure don't. It finished dead last in one comparo I read. If you want a lack of torque, the Yamaha apparently defines it. The seating position certainly isn't as comfortable as the Ninja. I wanted to like the FZ going into my research but it just doesn't measure up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Originally Posted By: Silverado12

Sorry, just not a Harley guy. I actually stopped in a HD dealer last Sunday. I was a little intrigued by the V-Rod because of its Porsche designed, liquid-cooled engine. I threw a leg over and uuggghhhh! What a pig! I checked the specs and I think it weighed 680 lbs dry! How do you turn this Queen Mary?

I guess I'm just in love with bikes that go fast and handle.

Not a pig, but a hog :^)

Inline 4s aren't known for producing a lot of torque, though there have been a few acceptions. If you want torque you'll probably have to look at something with either a v-twin, or v-4 engine configuration....

I got a Yamaha Super Tenere and to me at least it's perfect. I'm tall, the bike has lots of room, gobs of torque from the twin, does everything I ask of it very well and is reliable as all heck from what I've read. I only have 6400 miles on it. I'm sure Multistrada would be faster, Suzuki cheaper, but them are chain drive. I'm so done with chains, no more.

New Suzuki V-Strom DL1000 due out in 2014...probably still chain drive
2014-Suzuki-V-Strom-1000-concept-01.jpg

Always interesting to read the suggestions. I bought my V-strom from a guy who'd just bought a new Triumph Tiger cub 800. He was overjoyed. I sat on it, and it wasn't right for me. A friend sold his Triumph Tiger 1050 and bought a V0strom 650, and is happy. Another friend sold his V-Strom 1000 and loves his Super Tenere. Sit on a lot. Demo all you can. Buy the one that puts the biggest smile on your face. One more thing--don't get stuck on litre bikes. Try 600s & 650s & 800s, and check your smile size.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver

I believe I mentioned in the first post that I liked everything but the stock exhaust. I've checked and there are a LOT of aftermarket megaphones and full pipes for this bike. In all the bike rag comparos, the writers rave about the torque of the 1043cc Kawi engine. The only complaint has been a slight buzz at high rpm. The uncrouched riding position and bar will naturally require a bit more input to turn but at street speeds 10ths it reportedly handles great. You may prefer the FZ1 but the magazine reviewers sure don't. It finished dead last in one comparo I read. If you want a lack of torque, the Yamaha apparently defines it. The seating position certainly isn't as comfortable as the Ninja. I wanted to like the FZ going into my research but it just doesn't measure up.

I suppose I was not clear. I don't care for the way the Ninja 1000 rides. I don't find it comfortable and I don't care to spend any time on it (when we swap bikes)

While my bike is nothing great, I much prefer it.

Happy FZ1 owner here. I have made a few changes to fit me like bars and the seat. IIRC I'm at around 16,000 miles on it. My favorite bike to ride solo. The Gen II has been out since 2006, so it's getting a little long in the tooth as the market goes.
The good thing is that there are a lot of choices out there. I'd like to take a spin on the honda CB1000 or the VFR1200.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back