Things we see driving around - original content (pictures you snapped)

coming back from my lunch break the other day, I noticed this peculiar Ice buildup on my GF's Car... the sun hadn't quite hit it yet.. and hour later it was gone...
View attachment 205788
I got one of those pics…
IMG_7733.jpeg

Also, saw this out near the Gigafactory…
IMG_2156.jpeg

Afterward, I had to drive into the city. Coming out of the Robin Williams Tunnel and going down Waldo Grade toward the Golden Gate Bridge. In this case, the vehicle was headed towards us, leaving an extra lane for us.

While crossing the bridge, my wife took this picture of the north side of the Golden Gate with the Point Bonita Lighthouse visible as a bright speck on the lower promontory. Actually, all the pictures taken while driving around were kindly taken by my wife.

Here's a picture of the vehicle that moves the lane barrier depending on traffic.

A few weeks back I got a bug to go searching for some of the old AT&T Long Lines microwave relay towers in my area. Found one of them with some of the microwave antenna horns still up top of it. I see a lot of these now carry modern GSM antennas.

View attachment 205912
I don’t know much about radio towers, but the microwave antennas are interesting. I know of a tower with them semi local (~50 miles) to me and thought it was quite unique looking having never seen them before.

I don’t know much about radio towers, but the microwave antennas are interesting. I know of a tower with them semi local (~50 miles) to me and thought it was quite unique looking having never seen them before.
It is very interesting to learn about and kinda wild to think what we used to do with them. Here is a website, with somewhat outdated, but still very relevant info on a lot if not all of the Long Lines sites. You can probably find the one close to you.

Long story short on them… AT&T and the Federal Gvmt were close as close could be. Back in the day (40s and up) there was no breakup of AT&T (1980s) and they were THE telecommunications provider. AT&T transmitted a lot of US Military communications and data. Also you had mother AT&T with tons of resources, muscle and engineering behind it. Bell Labs, Western Electric, Long Lines, and the smaller regional Bells.

They wanted to have a system that could serve as not only additional capacity, but reliable if there was the threat of site/line/cabling/infrastructure loss during the Cold War from a target strike.

So they built hundreds of microwave relay tower sites that transmitted from site to site. Over time these transmitted tons of your long distance calls, and even a whole lot of network programming — ABC/NBC/CBS/etc.

There is something to be said for what at one time AT&T could accomplish being that large and having all of those resources under one roof. Of course being an IT professional I’m sure if they weren’t broken up the telco landscape would be miserable today and we’d have less innovation. But it is impressive to think on how fast a company could mobilize.

Now a days we have to wait days on days for Lumen to investigate why they edited BGP settings on a router at a neighboring businesses router that’s in our ring and why our Fiber’s been down for 2 weeks. :sick:

Back