Things I have learned on BITOG

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Dont use Fram oil filters if you have a choice.
2. 3,000 mile oil change interval is a myth. Oils last alot longer than before
3. Use synthetic oil. It's the best oil for your car. It doesnt cost that much more. On average, Keep it in there for 6,000 to 7,000 miles
4. You Must Read the Used Oil Analysis Section. It's the #1 piece of information that gives you an idea of the health of your engine. I equate it to a doctor's check up where they draw your blood and send it to a lab to assess your health
5. Buy your own oil and oil filter and pay a mechanic $8 to put it in if you cant do it yourself!
6. Any time a repair shop changes your oil. Specifically ask them the brand of oil and filter. Make sure it's the best quality oil and filter.
7. Take a quick peek under your oil cap. It only takes 2 seconds. Know how to recognize if there is sludge there. Use AutoRx if there is sludge.
8. I thought I was an oil change freak! I now know im not the only one.

1. no
2. no
3. no
4. no
5. doubt you'd find many "techs" who will do it for only $8
6. no
7. no. AutoRX does not fix PROBLEMS.
8. true

24 hours is not enough to learn here. Spend more time and you'll find in time your above statements are not all correct.

Take care, bill

1) yes ..but mainly for the typical price of alternatives
2) it's a safe figure for someone who can't be bothered figuring
3) use whatever oil you want as long as you get your money's worth out of it.
4) fun reading about others experiences under their circumstances
5) Schedule other work that you can't do and bring your oil along. Then you may get the $8 deal.
6) Get what you pay for.
7) Auto-Rx doesn't repair anything. It can clean some things up.
8) There are many.

You are on the right track but remember that not everything/everyone here is correct, including myself.

Stick around longer and make sure it isn't brainwash you are feeling. It is easy to get caught up in the mob of "best practice" when none of the solutions proposed are correct.

Fall in line with the rest of the Lemmings
crackmeup2.gif

Welcome aboard.
banana2.gif

There is a wealth of information here. There is also a good bit of misinformation. IMO there is more of the first than the later.

Use others experiences and results and draw your own conclusions.

Yes there are alot of us oil nuts out there that think more about oil and filters than a sane person should. I am one of those nuts.

1. True enough. Fram OIL filters are pretty junky.
2. YES.
3. Yes, indeed. Most all cars in good mechanical condition can go 10K intervals without any issues.
4. UOA will tell you some things, but not as much as you may think.
5. If they do a good job for $8, OK.
6. I guess.
7. You won't necessarily see sludge nor how much gumbo conventional oil left on your rings.
8. Plenty of psychos here.

Things I've learned since joining BITOG:

1. I am obsessed with oil, but at least I am not alone
2. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
3. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
4. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
5. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
6. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
7. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
8. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy

i do pay only $8 for an oil change! VERY TRUE! I just bring my own oil and filter. and yes they do a good job..im there watching!

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Things I've learned since joining BITOG:

1. I am obsessed with oil, but at least I am not alone

Don't tell a woman who you like that you have a fetish for motor oil. If you tell her and she still wants to be with you, I say you marry her! LOL

I do use Fram in my daily driver, but it's for a kinda lame reason. I like their no-slip grip. :^D

I wish the other mfrs would do the same

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
"Synthetic" oil is a scam.

Audi Junkie, not being a jerk, but what evidence do you have of this?

I use synthetic in my truck because the UOA's are better, the engine sounds and performs better in my opinion and I don't have lifter ticking in the cooler weather. For me it is superior to Dino in my application.

grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: tonycarguy
I do use Fram in my daily driver, but it's for a kinda lame reason. I like their no-slip grip. :^D

I wish the other mfrs would do the same

Buy yourself a can of spray on truck bed coating and then get yourself a better filter.

I have learned to get back to my old days when I was hands on and did all my own wrenching. For a long time I just let shops do all of my work. Now I do all of my oil services, tune ups, tire rotations, brakes, trans service, diff service. This has led to me working on the house as well. Now I am doing all my own painting, carpentry repair, deck powerwashing, 50% of my yard maintenence (big yard still have the landscaper cut the lawn), boat repair and maintenence.

Funny thing is I still have the same amount of time to spend with the family. Just don't watch TV much anymore as there is always a project that is "shovel ready"
grin2.gif

FWIW, if someone asks what did you get for all that trouble? I saved enough money last year to take the wife to Maui for 10 days and celebrate our 20th anniversary!
banana2.gif

So, now she no longer says a word when I start a project.
wink.gif

Last edited:
I have learned to value shop for the 5qt. bottles of conventional oil and a decent filter at WM and change my oil between 3-5K. That's all I need to know.

Originally Posted By: MBCLK
1. Dont use Fram oil filters if you have a choice.
2. 3,000 mile oil change interval is a myth. Oils last alot longer than before
3. Use synthetic oil. It's the best oil for your car. It doesnt cost that much more. On average, Keep it in there for 6,000 to 7,000 miles
4. You Must Read the Used Oil Analysis Section. It's the #1 piece of information that gives you an idea of the health of your engine. I equate it to a doctor's check up where they draw your blood and send it to a lab to assess your health
5. Buy your own oil and oil filter and pay a mechanic $8 to put it in if you cant do it yourself!
6. Any time a repair shop changes your oil. Specifically ask them the brand of oil and filter. Make sure it's the best quality oil and filter.
7. Take a quick peek under your oil cap. It only takes 2 seconds. Know how to recognize if there is sludge there. Use AutoRx if there is sludge.
8. I thought I was an oil change freak! I now know im not the only one.

The #1 lesson, to be learned or reinforced, is that if you don't care about the health of your engine, no one else is going to. The people who use Fram filters in their cars, or cheap dino oil, do not care about yours.

And what is fine for their old rust-buckets might be fine for your car too, if you also drive a rust-bucket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back