Things I have learned on BITOG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MBCLK
1. Dont use Fram oil filters if you have a choice.
2. 3,000 mile oil change interval is a myth. Oils last alot longer than before
3. Use synthetic oil. It's the best oil for your car. It doesnt cost that much more. On average, Keep it in there for 6,000 to 7,000 miles
4. You Must Read the Used Oil Analysis Section. It's the #1 piece of information that gives you an idea of the health of your engine oil. I equate it to a doctor's check up where they draw your blood and send it to a lab to assess your health
5. Buy your own oil and oil filter and pay a mechanic $8 to put it in if you cant do it yourself!
6. Any time a repair shop changes your oil. Specifically ask them the brand of oil and filter. Make sure it's the best quality oil and filter.
7. Take a quick peek under your oil cap. It only takes 2 seconds. Know how to recognize if there is sludge there. Use AutoRx if there is sludge.
8. I thought I was an oil change freak! I now know im not the only one.

Fixed

Originally Posted By: John_K
9) You can't be a real BITOGer unless you have at least 50 quarts of oil stashed!

John
And the oil filter stockpile to go with it.

You're really hardcore if you know alternate filters that fit your vehicle if you want to increase the filter size.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: MBCLK
i do pay only $8 for an oil change! VERY TRUE! I just bring my own oil and filter. and yes they do a good job..im there watching!

Is it the same mechanic that has been putting the wrong oil in your CLK for the past year and a half?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1458525

no, the $8 oil change is for my Honda.

I have learned:

Techron is an excellent fuel treatment.
Wix/Purolator are excellent oil filters. Fram is not, shall we say, "preferred".
How to buy and install a Magnefine filter on the tranny.
What AutoRx is and how to use it.
Removing fluid from power steering/brake with the "turkey baster" at oil changes and replacing with new helps keep the fluid fresh.
It is important to change the PCV valve--this has had the largest impact on the driveability of my 97 Avalon.
Washing your engine is not difficult nor time consuming nor expensive.
Flushing your tranny, while perhaps not necessary, is not difficult.
There are more steps to changing disc brakes than simply replacing the pads, if you want to do it properly.
It is not difficult to clean the throttle body.
How to install a coolant filter (I know, some people do not think it is necessary).
Who and what Amsoil is.
There is no hard and fast rule on using synthetic oils--I think I have read more posts saying that synthetics are not necessary--superior, yes, but not always necessary.
How/where to buy a Fumoto valve and install it.

Hooray for BITOG. I have enjoyed it very much.
thumbsup2.gif

I have learned that:
- Motor oil goes on sale
crazy2.gif
Seriously, I never noticed any oil sales before joining BITOG.
- There is no such thing as "the best" oil, oil filter, ATF or whatever. Your choice is pretty much as good as anybody else's, as long as you feel happy about it.
- If you start a stash, it's hard resist the urge of making it bigger when you see oil going on sale
LOL.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back