Thickest weight oil you used

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: atikovi
I want to see someone try 75W140 gear oil just for kicks. Right before taking the car to the junkyard I suppose.

Only the adds would be incompatible with those required in engines.

Viscosity is about where this thread is talking
comparison.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I want to see someone try 75W140 gear oil just for kicks. Right before taking the car to the junkyard I suppose.

Only the adds would be incompatible with those required in engines.

Viscosity is about where this thread is talking
comparison.gif

I don't get that chart. How can the 75W have the same viscosity as 5W or 10W? Doesn't make sense.

Or 85w-140 for that matter. I use Torco 85w-140 in the diff on my GTO and I have to heat it up to get it to pump into the diff. Mobil 1 75w-140 was noticeably much less viscous when trying to fill. The Torco is non synthetic though. I couldn't imagine a motor oil of that viscosity.

I ran 20W50 in almost all of my older muscle cars/hot rods when I had them. These days seeing as I only drive new vehicles I run what the mfg calls for which has been 5W20 and 5W30 for the most part. If I ever get another muscle car/hot rod I will run 20W50 again most likely.

20w50 on an '85 Buick Regal with the 3.8L V6 (NA, not the awesome turbos). Oil light was coming on with 10w30, and had a recommendation to go up to 20w50. Did this before I knew anything about oil. 20w50 on those cold Iowa winters - yikes!

I don't get that chart. How can the 75W have the same viscosity as 5W or 10W? Doesn't make sense.

I used to think the same. Then on BITOG, I learned that the scales used for viscosity on gear/transmission oils are completely different than for engine oil.

Originally Posted By: weebl

I used to think the same. Then on BITOG, I learned that the scales used for viscosity on gear/transmission oils are completely different than for engine oil.
+1

Different types of "W"s.

Last edited:
GTX 20W50 in a '79 Caprice 305ci V-8 for 12 years. The recommended 10W30 went through it like carap through a goose. The heavier oil did not and it still started fine in temps in the low teens. The old underpowered 305 still ran as new when I sold it.

In my pre BITOG days I ran 5W-50 Syntec oil in my 1 year old 1996 Contour with the 4 cyl Zetec. Nothing horrible happened as far as I remember. I know the once free revving Zetec was not so free revving with the 5W-50. My mpg also shrank noticeably. After approximately 2 years I went back to various synthetic 5W-30's and the car revved freely again and my mpg shot way up. To this day I'm still running synthetic and synthetic blend 5W-30's and quite happy to do so. Even though my Zetec was finally back spec'd to 5W-20 I'll stick with the Synthetic 5W-30 as I really enjoy winding this engine to over 6,000 rpm a bit too much
grin.gif
. Since Ford waited some years to back spec the Zetec after back spec'ing most of their other engines to 5W-20 I'll stick with the 5W-30.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back