Thickest/largest HTHS 0W20?

hello, 2 questions.

Looking to find the thickest (at operating temp) as in the viscosity at 100 celcius or the largest HTHS oil thats a synthetic 0W20 for warranty purposes

I think redline will probably win this but I am talking about the more easy to find brands as in
Mobil 1, pennzoil, castrol, valvoline, quaker state, etc etc

Right now i feel like m1 is prob the thickest what do yall think? cant seem to find HTHS values tho
thanks!

Last edited:
I looked it up the other day. M1 EP 5/20 was at 9. I didn't see any that were heavier

sadly for some reason ESP is hard to find around here in canada.
i am probably have to choose between
Pennzoil platinum
pennzoil ultra platinum + other variants
mobil 1
mobil 1 afe
mobil 1 ep
quaker state full synthetic
shell rotella gas truck
castrol edge + variants
costco 0w20
valvolines

i think thats all

Castrol Edge is 8.7 KV100
Edge High Mileage is 8.8 with an HTHS of 2.63

Good luck finding something more easily acquired at a better price with better specs. I have been doing this same research on 0w20 recently and Castrol Edge is the all around best IMHO.

Pennzoil platinum
mobil 1
mobil 1 afe
mobil 1 ep
shell rotella gas truck
castrol edge + variants
costco 0w20
valvolines

i think thats all
That sucks! IIRC Pennzoil comes in on the thin side, although I gave up on them a couple of years ago and things might have changed. Edge gets some rave reviews here as does Mobil 1 EP. Given the choice of the oils you listed I'd go with Mobil 1 EP. Opinions are going to vary, so in the end pick what makes you happy.

Castrol Edge is 8.7 KV100
Edge High Mileage is 8.8 with an HTHS of 2.63

Good luck finding something more easily acquired at a better price with better specs. I have been doing this same research on 0w20 recently and Castrol Edge is the all around best IMHO.
yeah i think the edge is good, the only thing i found so far is mobil 1 0w20 hm which is also a 8.8 but i dont know about the HTHS

yeah i think the edge is good, the only thing i found so far is mobil 1 0w20 hm which is also a 8.8 but i dont know about the HTHS

I was previously a fan of Mobil 1, primarily because they offer rebates every year, but I have been disappointed with AFE 0W20 and EP 0W20 due to how noisy they are and how easily they get consumed, at least in my engine. If not for the rebates I would never consider buying Mobil products.

Valvoline 0w20 oils are very thin but do perform well.

SOPUS 0w20 oils are very average IMO, I am not going back to using their stuff any time soon.

I might try Warren oils (ie Super Tech, Meijer, Kirkland/Costco) but I am worried about their recent corporate activity and the potential for product degredation.

I am even open to trying out Royal Purple 0w20 after having seen others have good to great results using it.

I was previously a fan of Mobil 1, primarily because they offer rebates every year, but I have been disappointed with AFE 0W20 and EP 0W20 due to how noisy they are and how easily they get consumed, at least in my engine. If not for the rebates I would never consider buying Mobil products.

SOPUS 0w20 oils are very average IMO, I am not going back to using their stuff any time soon.

I might try Warren oils (ie Super Tech, Meijer, Kirkland/Costco) but I am worried about their recent corporate activity and the potential for product degredation.

I am even open to trying out Royal Purple 0w20 after having seen others have good to great results using it.
I like Rp however never goes on sale around here in Canada

Pennzoil platinum
mobil 1
mobil 1 afe
mobil 1 ep
shell rotella gas truck
castrol edge + variants
costco 0w20
valvolines

i think thats all
No canadian tire near you? They have it on sale with all the other mobil stuff, usually 45 to 50 % off

Just mix all 9 together and add some motor honey

Back