Thickest Dexron 3 ATF currently on sale?

I heard Maxlife has a new formula, does this mean its thinner?

I ask, since my old Dexron 3/Nissan Dmatic fluid spec transmission have run well with the older maxlife, and I dont want to rock the boat with an upcoming drain and fill. Any options that exist on store shelves that are as thick as the old maxlife? Finally dont want to get expensive fluid like say Mobil Delvac ATF $$$.

Starting viscosity is pretty irrelevant. DEXRON-III is an obsolete license and it had worse viscosity stability than DEXRON-VI has as part of the license. DEXRON-VI is the better alternative.
Thanks for the tip Do you have any recommendations for a cost effective yet quality Dex VI?

You won't really find dex 3. Dex VI is an old spec too and just about any will be fine. Get it at Walmart. https://www.walmart.com/ip/15125788

If you do find any slip there's plenty of additives for that which will do more than just band aid. I'd prefer to mix ATF type f in instead.

Last edited:
The LV fluid should be fine, but if you want thicker, there's Castrol Transmax Universal ATF/CVT, it's similar to Dexron III viscosity and says it's appropriate for Matic D.

There was never a DEXRON-IV license.
If it didn't, why did you mention it in your prior post? You stated "DEXRON-VI has as part of the license". What did you mean? I may be wrong but thought it was licensed by GM.

Castrol sells a Dexron/Mercon product for older vehicles that is still a high viscosity ATF (7,9cSt@100ºC). The Maxlife product and any product claiming compatibility with Dexron-VI is a low viscosity fluid.

While Dexron-III is no longer a supported fluid specification, there are numerous suppliers that still market the product. Just know that it is not formally supported by GM.

1674559087446.jpg

Red Line High Temp ATF.
Vis @ 100°C, CSt 9.5

Last edited:
This thread got me looking at M1 Synthetic ATF. While looking at posted specs I found this interesting review. Wonder if there is a way to find that person and see if that tranny is still alive, or if more info on usage or any additional maintenance is available. Anecdotal, but interesting, IMO... What if that's true and the guy is onto something here?

M1 ATF Review.jpg
M1 ATF 2.jpg
M1 ATF 1.jpg

This thread got me looking at M1 Synthetic ATF. While looking at posted specs I found this interesting review. Wonder if there is a way to find that person and see if that tranny is still alive, or if more info on usage or any additional maintenance is available. Anecdotal, but interesting, IMO... What if that's true and the guy is onto something here?

View attachment 137898View attachment 137897View attachment 137896
I used it in our Expedition too (which had the 4R100, the E4OD's replacement). We sold it with over 200,000 miles on it and still saw it for many, many years afterwards driving around.

That said, this is a VERY durable transmission behind a gasser because it was designed to stand-up to a diesel. So it's not unusual for them to last for this kind of mileage, regardless of the brand of fluid used.

The old licensed fluids (Dex III and Mercon; very similar) had HORRIBLE vis retension. They started out around 7.3 cSt, but fell off the cliff in a hurry, and I've seen a few UOAs where they dropped into the high 4s after 50k miles. It's not uncommon at all for them to drop into the high 5 cSt range after just 10k miles. Though those two fluids are not licensed (not since 2006?), there are still a lot of products on the market that target these applications. Large, reliable companies that make these "Dex/Merc" or "D3/M" type products are probably trustworthy; Mobil, Castrol, Valvoline, etc. Just because they are not "licensed" any longer, does not mean these fluids are junk. But, there is also no lisence to assure quality, so Caveat Emptor.

When Dex VI came out (2006), though it was "thinner" (around 6.0 to 6.1 cSt), it retains it's vis much better; incredibly well in fact. I've seen UOAs where this fluid essentially only drops a tenth or two in vis after 100k miles.

Maxlife (now called "MaxLife Multi-Vehicle") is also around 6.0 or so, and is a good "all around" product for many applications. See their website for the current "recommended for" applications. I've seen plenty of UOAs on Maxlife ATF; always a decent performer.

Last edited:
I used it in our Expedition too (which had the 4R100, the E4OD's replacement). We sold it with over 200,000 miles on it and still saw it for many, many years afterwards driving around.

That said, this is a VERY durable transmission behind a gasser because it was designed to stand-up to a diesel. So it's not unusual for them to last for this kind of mileage, regardless of the brand of fluid used.
I have a 4r100 in my 5.4 F150 as well. Although very robust (except for the diode issue in one year) there were 3 different factory build internal configurations for this transmission, from strongest to weakest, 7.3 Diesel, Lightning, 5.4 gas. The 5.4 gas 4r100 in the F250platform has a cast iron transfer case adapter, the one for the F150 platform has the AL adapter.

Back