Thickest 0w20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PimTac
For those who condone cheating by showing receipts for 0w20 but running 5w30 or other grades, show some guts.
I'll show some guts right after Honda fixes the fuel dilution problems on the CRV. This engine has already been opened up once, doesn't need to be again.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Oildudeny
Don't believe it charts and numbers. 0w20 is 0w20 5w30 is 5w30.. How the oil chemically reacts in your engine will be different in someone else's engine.

????

please explain what you mean by chemically reacts, and your grade definition.

OP...there's a Volvo spec, can't quote it off the top of my head) that requires an HTHS of 2.75 minimum...it's a 0W20, and is "half way" to the min spec for a 30 (LOL, or a 0W40 ten years ago)...might suit your needs.

Castrol GTX Magnatec 0W-20

https://www.castrol.com/en_us/united-sta...-motor-oil.html

A few other's show 2.7 like Mobil1 AFE and Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
For those who condone cheating by showing receipts for 0w20 but running 5w30 or other grades, show some guts.

It’s not really cheating because we all know running 0w-30 or 5w-30 instead of 0w-20 has absolutely nothing to do with ANY potential enigine problem and any manufacture who would deny a warranty claim because of this is full of [censored].

Originally Posted by tig1
M1 0-20 in AFE and EP has been a great performer in my last 3 Ford engines with some 460K using this oil.
That record would be more impressive if you didn't have to keep replacing the engine.

Originally Posted by PWMDMD

It’s not really cheating because we all know running 0w-30 or 5w-30 instead of 0w-20 has absolutely nothing to do with ANY potential enigine problem and any manufacture who would deny a warranty claim because of this is full of [censored].

To clarify my point, run whatever you want but in the very slim chance they ask for receipts or ask which grade of oil you have in the crankcase, tell them the truth.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Go on Walmart.com or Amazon, purchased the correct stuff. Print Receipt. Then cancel the order... They'll never know!

Or... at Walmart, buy 0W-20 and 5W-30 on separate tabs, walk directly to return counter, return 0W-20. Make copy of 0W-20 receipt for records, pour 5W-30 into engine.

Last edited:

If a car maker states that 0w20 is required then they have every right to deny your warranty claim if you're running 5w30 or 0w30. That's how warranties work. (unless the owner's manual also states those viscosities are allowed) If I was to run 20w50 in my Corvette and made a warranty claim, they could certainly deny it, and I would have a hard time fighting it.

Originally Posted by Patman

If a car maker states that 0w20 is required then they have every right to deny your warranty claim if you're running 5w30 or 0w30. That's how warranties work. (unless the owner's manual also states those viscosities are allowed) If I was to run 20w50 in my Corvette and made a warranty claim, they could certainly deny it, and I would have a hard time fighting it.

Correct...my point is you and I both know using an oil a grade or two higher would never actually be the cause of a legitimate warranty claim and any automaker while legally within their right to deny the claim is completely full of [censored] if they try and use that as their reason - it’s a bull [censored] excuse not to fix some other legitimate flaw.

I have no problem using 0w-30 in a car that calls for 0w-20 and if they ask me what’s in the engine it’s 0w-20 all day...everyday...because I know that is NOT the cause of the problem.

Last edited:
I agree, it sucks that they can void the warranty when a slight change in viscosity most certainly won't be the root cause of any engine failure.

If you think you know better than the mfg and run a different oil then you should back that can nfidense up with voiding your warranty. The mfg has its balls on the table with a 60k warranty against oil related failures using what they say. You run 5w30 instead because its better them put yours up and self warranty any issues.

A uoa can't prove the viscosity. My 300ZX turned Royal Purple 20W50 into 10W40 within 3000 miles. But my uoa was impeccable!!

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
A uoa can't prove the viscosity. My 300ZX turned Royal Purple 20W50 into 10W40 within 3000 miles. But my uoa was impeccable!!

True, the UOA won't always show the viscosity but that's why they will ask for receipts for the oil that was purchased. Better to be safe than sorry, the last thing you need in the rare event of an engine problem, is to have the manufacturer deny your claim and make you fight to change their mind.

Why not just use a 5w20? While finding a current dexos1 gen 2 approved list is a real PITA, the previous dexos1 listings had 5w20 oils all over the place. And since no dealer or OEM can tell the difference between a 0w20 and a 5w20, then use the 5w20 and rest easy. Then you get a lower burn off rate and more stable oil over the long haul and you can rest easy at night.

And in almost 50 years of both personal and commercial vehicle ownership, I have yet to see a dealer ask for any receipts on oil. Not even heard of a first hand account. Seems more to be internet folklore. The odds of any dealer asking for oil receipts is about as rare as hen's teeth. Worrying about it is evidence of an enlarged paranoia gland. The only time I think it could be a possibility is if there is clear evidence of an oil related problem like sludge or lack of regular oil changes.

Originally Posted by TiredTrucker
Why not just use a 5w20? While finding a current dexos1 gen 2 approved list is a real PITA, the previous dexos1 listings had 5w20 oils all over the place. And since no dealer or OEM can tell the difference between a 0w20 and a 5w20, then use the 5w20 and rest easy. Then you get a lower burn off rate and more stable oil over the long haul and you can rest easy at night.

And in almost 50 years of both personal and commercial vehicle ownership, I have yet to see a dealer ask for any receipts on oil. Not even heard of a first hand account. Seems more to be internet folklore. The odds of any dealer asking for oil receipts is about as rare as hen's teeth. Worrying about it is evidence of an enlarged paranoia gland. The only time I think it could be a possibility is if there is clear evidence of an oil related problem like sludge or lack of regular oil changes.

Yup!

Let's remember I may have the dealer do my changes and bring my own oil. I'm guessing they are only putting 0w20 in and may refuse to put anything else.

I'll show some guts right after Honda fixes the fuel dilution problems on the CRV. This engine has already been opened up once, doesn't need to be again.

Why was your engine opened up? Was it an oil-related problem? Especially curious as I have one of these, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back