These batteries are about done.

Put these in my truck around 12-17. I don't usually buy flooded batteries but I was short on cash so I got these for shop cost+ tax.

One is starting to show weak on my load tester and about 600 cca on my other tester. Rated @750 cca.

Still start it just fine but I know their days are numbered.

Pretty good run for batteries in the desert.

Attachments

• IMG_20220513_194523160.jpg
    IMG_20220513_194523160.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_20220513_194534098.jpg
    IMG_20220513_194534098.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 93
When i get to this stage i make sure to have jumper cables and run them down until the last kick.

I would replace them now. I have seen many a bad or old near bad battery take out an alternator. Cheaper to buy two batteries now vs two and alt later. Also, better to replace them on "your" time vs theirs. You got your money's worth out of them.

Just my two cents,

Dave

Five years is a good run for any standard battery. 600 CCA is still pretty good for a battery that old. Amps drop on all batteries over time. That's why they have prorated warranties. Manufacturers hope they will hold enough charge to last the warranty period. I replaced a 6-year old battery when it got down to 300 CCA, less than half the rating. It was still starting fine though, but winter was approaching and I didn't want to be surprised one cold morning. Used the old battery several more years on a lawnmower.

I know we're not supposed to use the "S" word but.........
Waiting for a battery / batteries to die and strand you is just plain stupid.
Besides the bad surprise and possible alternator damage mentioned above, it makes you look bad. That'll go double as you work in / own a garage.

You know what's funny? If one of our batteries dies we say, "Heey, I didn't think it'd be so soon". Or, "Hey, I've been looking for a sale but none has popped up".

But when you see dopy kids aside the road with jumpers out you say, "Stupid kids. Buy less beer and monitor your battery more closely as I do".

See, you get superiority points when you renew a battery in a timely manner.....and it's cheaper.

The battery on the left is a maintenance type battery with caps. You can see water oozing out. Those caps need to be removed and checked, and the battery needs to be topped up. Maybe check the level and get another year out of it. :D

When available, I think cheap batteries are worth it over the fancy ones. I got 45 months out of a $50 Walmart battery for the Camry.

If it were one battery I'd still run it-- Midtronics says 50% of OE CCA is the discard criterion.

But with a pair, shenanigans start happening-- the good one keeps trying to prop up the bad one.

You could probably get $30-35 for your old, good one, particularly since you can test it and prove it's good.

I'd go with the WM Value batteries.

Can you roll start this truck?

If it were one battery I'd still run it-- Midtronics says 50% of OE CCA is the discard criterion.

But with a pair, shenanigans start happening-- the good one keeps trying to prop up the bad one.

You could probably get $30-35 for your old, good one, particularly since you can test it and prove it's good.

Ya its a manual. Pushing it is tough though?

This - great post. important to buy them together and get the same kind for both.

OP, ya did good.

Back