There is hope for the future

Status
Not open for further replies.
We hear the news everyday about job losses, piracy, our terrible congress, and the latest government bailout of every failing business known to man. I just stoped watching the news and started coming home from work earlier to spend more time with my kids. And today my daughter competed in a regional social studies fair that involved displaying a project in different subjects. She finished second in her division and I was very proud of her accomplishment. And I was also very proud of all the young men and women that competed in this fair. To see the enthusiasm and all the hard work that took place really was great. We do have hope for our future. And guess what. It is in our children! America is still great! So forget what stupid action our worthless congress did yesterday to waste billions of dollars and just look around this great country and see the next generation growing before our eyes. We will be ok, I saw this today in over two hundred competitors. No ponzi scheme here just the real deal.

Hopefully. Motivation and curiosity in children are not as rare as many people think, and should always be cultivated. Congratulations to your daughter and her peers, and here's hoping your optimism is requited.

Good show. Keep the praise heading her way for fine achievements ..and you'll get more of them.

Congrat!

Kids today are much better than the kids of last generation, and the generations before. Every grown up always thinks that the young ones are not up to the old standard of the good old days, but if you compare apple to apple, we have better educations today, and were more aware of what's broken instead of just not knowing like the older generations back then.

Schools are tougher than before, competitions are stiffer than before, but the students are also better (on average). We always hear drop out rates or school troubles on the news, but rarely hear about the high percentage of students taking AP classes, getting scholarships, and the motivation of them getting into a good college.

Last edited:
A wise man (Chuck D) once said "Don't believe the hype"

Meaning of this is that the mainstream news media thrives on negativity. Lets face it, bad news sells. I gave up on watching the TV news years ago, it's mostly garbage. "If it bleeds it leads" Give up on paying attention to the news, and focus your attention on your family and life. I can guarantee this will lead to more happiness in your life.

Good for you and your daughter, sounds like she is well on her way, keep encouraging her to be the best she can! USA is still the greatest nation on earth. We are still the most productive hardest working nation on earth. We put a man on the moon 40 years ago, anything is possible if we put our (collective) minds to it.

Panda - Kids are much better bow?
You have got to be kidding!

There is maybe more knowledge by individuals at any school level, but so what?
Morals, values, idiocy, etc. are much worse now.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
...There is maybe more knowledge by individuals at any school level, but so what?

Sounds like a parents' problem, schools can only work with what parents provide.

There is maybe more knowledge by individuals at any school level, but so what?

I would love to see the stats and correlations on that one.

I think it is both. A few are very good, but too many are in no way prepared to function in society. Too many people are incapable of recognizing nonsense when they see it, or too afraid of the thought police to say so. Look at the way Miss California got beat up for her belief in traditional marriage.

Originally Posted By: labman
Look at the way Miss California got beat up for her belief in traditional marriage.

Instead of a kid having low morals, I believe it was the judge who threw this lady a no-win question. Remember that Miss California was attending a Christian college. She was going to get lambasted no matter how she answered it. If she said she was in favor of same-sex marriage, the Christian right would have criticized her. She gives an answer that she feels is correct and the judge and the media criticize her. Why did the judge, other than to promote his personal agenda, even ask this question?
At least she stuck to what she believed in and didn't waffle.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Instead of a kid having low morals, I believe it was the judge who threw this lady a no-win question. Remember that Miss California was attending a Christian college. She was going to get lambasted no matter how she answered it. If she said she was in favor of same-sex marriage, the Christian right would have criticized her. She gives an answer that she feels is correct and the judge and the media criticize her. Why did the judge, other than to promote his personal agenda, even ask this question?
At least she stuck to what she believed in and didn't waffle.

+1

I disagree with her view but I think she did admirably. Perez Hilton should be the one on the frying pan for that farce.

Panda - Kids are much better bow?
You have got to be kidding!

Compare this generation to the ones grown up during the 70s? Sure, much fewer hippies and much more serious about colleges and grades.

Look at the way Miss California got beat up for her belief in traditional marriage.

Instead of a kid having low morals, I believe it was the judge who threw this lady a no-win question.

1) Miss California has nothing to do with education or the general population as a whole.
2) These kind of political questions should never be asked in public, let alone a competition.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

Instead of a kid having low morals, I believe it was the judge who threw this lady a no-win question.

1) Miss California has nothing to do with education or the general population as a whole....

This is just the point I was wanting to make. Our youth are being trained to attack anybody expressing politically incorrect ideas.

Eh, I wouldn't say "trained" as much as "gratified and not sufficiently guided otherwise."

Another factor is that people naturally feel threatened when someone says they believe something different. This has been true for quite a long time, especially since a lot of people have been brought up in religious institutions that are based on the idea that belief is the same as truth. It's just that nowadays, people are exposed to more opinions, and thus more opportunities to feel threatened.

Incidentally, that second point is directly counteracted by factual education -- simple knowledge, independent of morals...

I don't have any kids, nor am I an educator in an environment with a lot of kids, so my observations are limited. But whatever kids I do see (mainly offspring of my friends) in my microcosm, I see a lot of talented kids taking life seriously. We aren't doomed. There's lots of hope for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back