The week of annoying engine replacements

Status
Not open for further replies.
The week started with a bang, in the form of a comeback! I had finished installing a brand new GM crate engine in a Park Avenue this past Saturday, which promptly returned misfiring about 3 hours later. GREAT. A few quick scans and some diagnosing later, I found no compression in cylinder #5. This engine has MAYBE 40 miles on it, mind you. So we call GM powertrain Monday, they ask what diagnostics were done (spark, fuel, compression, leakdown etc.) and decided to just send out another engine and pay the bill. Turns out, upon tear down, the #5 intake rocker bolt hadn't been torqued at the factory and had backed out. Very odd, since I swear I saw the intake valve open on my boroscope but oh well. Slammed the new-new engine in and she purrs like a kitten. Just for fun, I looked up the build date on the failed engine. It was built on a Monday...

Project #2 was a 2017 Honda Pilot engine replacement. This one was a fluke, the oil filter came loose (we did the last oil change. Oops) and the customer didn't stop until he ran the engine dry. 24k miles on it. We found a used engine with the exact same mileage on it, and I installed it today. Complete cradle drop to get that bad boy out. However, it was very simple: there's hardly any cables or hoses anymore. There's no shift cable, no power steering hoses, no firewall wiring harness, nothing. It's 4 or 5 plugs, 3 vacuum lines, 5 coolant hoses and 2 A/C lines. The whole thing comes out the bottom with 4 bolts and hardly a fluid mess anywhere.

So anyways, something like 40 hours billed between last Saturday and today, with Sunday and Tuesday off. Not including the other jobs done in between. "Be a mechanic" they said... "It's a great trade" they said...

Sleep will come easy tonight, at least!

I used to enjoy working on cars. Not any more. The thought of swapping an engine makes me cringe. I was so slow and tedious that I never made any money on those jobs. I just can't put greasy parts onto a new engine. Then spend 2 days trying to get the engine and trans lined up. Now most problems are electrical. I never dreamed that I would be doing this many electrical repairs. I'm good at doing the repairs but awful at finding the cause.

Some guys can find it in minutes. It may take me days before I throw in the towel.

Funny thing is I know older cars. Shop 2 doors down hired me to put points in a Chevy. They had no idea how to do that.

Originally Posted by Audios
Weve all been there with #2. Did the shop eat the motor?

Oh yea, we're eating it. The boss wasn't thrilled... but it is what it is. Cost ~$2,500 for the engine, shipped.

Originally Posted by A_User55555
You can still buy new Park Avenue engines from GM? I thought all they'd have were reman ones.

You're absolutely right. It's a reman, made for GM. When I get engines and transmissions from the dealer I tend to refer to them as "new". None of them actually are.

Originally Posted by A_User55555
You can still buy new Park Avenue engines from GM? I thought all they'd have were reman ones.

It really depends on the engine, year, make, model & WHEN you want said engine.

For the longest time.....You could get brand new 5.7L L31 engines for $2,000.
About a year ago, I installed a new L61 2.2L Ecotech in a 2007 HHR, This engine was not only new.....But NOS from 2007 per the date codes on all the components, It even had oil in it which crate/replacement engines don't have normally.

When I worked at the Hot Rod shop.....Bruce Lowrie Chevrolet had 16 NEW 2004MY 5.7L LS1 GTO crate engines for $2,300 each. We bought all 16 of them & sold them sans Intake, Throttle Body, Injectors, Ignition Coils, & Oil pan for $5,500 each.
We sold everyone of the oil pans on E-bay for $200 each (BMW 3-series swaps), The loaded LS6 intakes went for $550-$650 each after GM discontinued them.

Some replacement GM engines are remaned....Especially the V6's for some reason, Don't really know why that is?

Picture of the new Ecotech....New Injectors, Fuel rail, Cam sensor, Crank sensor, MAP sensor, Ignition Coils, Plugs, & Intake came with it!

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back