The term 'oriental'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
A person who is a citizen of that country is _____ese, just like someone who is a resident of this country is American.

So you say that people from Korea are Koreaese?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
Well, isn't the company the one getting Oriented when it brings on an Oriental new hire?

It's a Japanese company. We're already well and thoroughly Oriented.
^_^
......COME ON PEOPLE!
This isn't Reddit!
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Well, isn't the company the one getting Oriented when it brings on an Oriental new hire?

It's a Japanese company. We're already well and thoroughly Oriented.
^_^
......COME ON PEOPLE!
This isn't Reddit!
smirk.gif

I've never used that site. I don't know how they operate. What are you talking about?

Okay. Well.. I don't know.. would you prefer that this forum not have funny banter? Remember obbop? I'm just trying to make this place livelier.

Okay. Well.. I don't know.. would you prefer that this forum not have funny banter? Remember obbop? I'm just trying to make this place livelier.

Understood. It was sarcasm.

Don't pull a Sheldon Cooper on me
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
[
People from countries in Europe are called Europeans all the time. Thats it, i now find that offensive. LOL

No need to be offended my good man, Europe is a continent. European, Asian, (North/South) American, Australian, African, Polynesian etc etc -- all good. Calling various people the "thems ,thar that ways" or equivalent is kind of dumb and unspecific IMO

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Why say 'oriental' when you can say Asian?
21.gif

This. While I asked a few Asian friends out of curiosity, they don't seem to notice or care.
I've always used Asian when referring to the geographical region and its inhabitants, because well..... It's Asia.

Has anyone noticed that Vietnamese and some other esteemed southeast Asian people like to call themselves Asian, whereas Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, all refer to themselves by their country of origin specifically?

21.gif

I can't recall ever having referred to someone as Oriental, or to eastern Asia as 'the Orient'... but I can see some logic in referring to persons of the Mongoloid phenotypes as Oriental. Indians are also from Asia, and I've often heard them referred to as Asian, but I don't picture an Indian person when someone says 'Asian'. I definitely picture a person of Chinese, Korean, or Japanese ancestry when I hear the word 'Oriental', though.

21.gif

I can't recall ever having referred to someone as Oriental, or to eastern Asia as 'the Orient'... but I can see some logic in referring to persons of the Mongoloid phenotypes as Oriental. Indians are also from Asia, and I've often heard them referred to as Asian, but I don't picture an Indian person when someone says 'Asian'. I definitely picture a person of Chinese, Korean, or Japanese ancestry when I hear the word 'Oriental', though.

just as like calling a native american a redskin cause their skin is kinda red looking, or a black person can sometimes be called a coon if they look like a racoon?

I mentioned it before, words are more than just words; they also have historical baggage. It just shows ignorance if you don't want to at least understand the history and background and the reasons why before deciding if you still are fine with it.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/oriental

I believe that when the word oriental is used to refer to an Asian person, it is generally not meant to be degrading in any way whatsoever; it's just a descriptor, like middle eastern.

Given the international nature of this forum I'm sure every country has 'geographic insults' withIN their country...the most ubiquitous likely being..."You're not from around here, are ya."

...and excessive/defensive pride of place as well...as in "I'm 100% _____ (fill in the blank)!"

Last edited:
Its funny, the first time I heard of this was when a Chinese coworker asked me if "oriental" was offensive. I told him I did not know. I just now asked my wife, also Chinese. She ALSO asked me why it would be offensive. So at least two Asians in the world don't find it offensive or understand why it would be.

Perhaps this is more of an issue with U.S. born Asians?

Originally Posted By: joaks
Its funny, the first time I heard of this was when a Chinese coworker asked me if "oriental" was offensive. I told him I did not know. I just now asked my wife, also Chinese. She ALSO asked me why it would be offensive. So at least two Asians in the world don't find it offensive or understand why it would be.

Perhaps this is more of an issue with U.S. born Asians?

Different time period...far east technology and standard of living has improved post WW11. Education is of higher standard even higher than in America.

Newer generations so it kind of lost itself(Oriental) most have better things to do than dwell on it.

Oriental slang was referring to lower labor a stereotype the street type of people.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Oriental is no more offensive than Caucasian.

Correct if one takes it personally no one wants to be labelled.

Has anyone noticed that Vietnamese and some other esteemed southeast Asian people like to call themselves Asian, whereas Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, all refer to themselves by their country of origin specifically?

No, it all depends on with whom they're surrounded. A large Vietnamese community, and each refers to him or herself as Viet. When a Vietnamese person is raised and lives around mostly non-Asians, he or she may refer to him or herself as an Asian, or Vietnamese, if the person inquiring is interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back