The Sodium-Ion Battery Is Coming To Production Cars This Year -CleanTechnica

wemay

Site Donor 2023

IMO, it takes a few unnecessary swipes at the "fossil fuel" crowd so I moved past the editorializing.

Last edited:

IMO, it takes a few unnecessary swipes at the "fossil fuel" crowd so I moved past the editorializing.
My thoughts exactly. This is hardly a scientific paper. It’s a politically charged/agenda based bias disinformation website.
Mention of the New York Times takes it to an even higher level of bias and misinformation.

Sad part is like any cult. They have a significant following of people who can’t think for themselves which unfortunately is becoming more prevalent in society today.

Hina, CATL, Higee and Highstar have announced their cells, so these are coming soon.

Cycle counts are a little on the low side, probably better for solar than cars at this point
1677162772375.jpg

1681979002728.jpg

discharge curves look good, especially for cold weather
1682222282879.jpg

There is a new battery technology coming out every month. I am still waiting for smart phones that fully charge in 5 minutes and last all week. Surely these things exist in the lab but by the time the general public gets one its 5 - 10 years down the line.

There is a new battery technology coming out every month. I am still waiting for smart phones that fully charge in 5 minutes and last all week. Surely these things exist in the lab but by the time the general public gets one its 5 - 10 years down the line.
Yes, they do. At one time I worked for a large battery manufacturer and we had mechanical batteries that could do this. However, at the time the devices were truly terrifying and dangerous. A short circuit was catastrophic, this is the trade-off you got with increasing energy density in a battery.

this is the trade-off you got with increasing energy density in a battery.
Do you think we will get to these high fast charging density batteries in cell phones while being safe any time soon? Current battery tech is akin to carrying a small firework in your pocket if things go wrong, higher density, who knows. Maybe solid state?

Do you think we will get to these high fast charging density batteries in cell phones while being safe any time soon? Current battery tech is akin to carrying a small firework in your pocket if things go wrong, higher density, who knows. Maybe solid state?

A few years ago Apple sold its 2 billionth iPhone. Adding in all the other manufacturers I would guess that the problem rate is very small. One also has to take into account any unsuitable chargers that were used or smartphones that were damaged.

The power source will always be the 'weak' link as consumers constantly expect larger displays with mesmerizing graphics, insanely fast processing speed, 5G Ultra Wideband connectivity everywhere they go and then wonder why a full charge only lasts 1-2 days.

From what I understand these are already in production and have some vehicle manufactures lined up to purchase.

Personally I was wondering chemistry and if they use Nickel. In addition looking at that voltage curve I posted 2 things jump out at me.
1. The curve is not flat like LFP
2. The cell voltages range is 1.8V - 3.95V making a 16 cell battery with a voltage range of 28.8V to 63.2V. Maybe not so good for solar after all. I can't see how current inverters would deal with a range like that.

From what I understand these are already in production and have some vehicle manufactures lined up to purchase.

Personally I was wondering chemistry and if they use Nickel. In addition looking at that voltage curve I posted 2 things jump out at me.
1. The curve is not flat like LFP
2. The cell voltages range is 1.8V - 3.95V making a 16 cell battery with a voltage range of 28.8V to 63.2V. Maybe not so good for solar after all. I can't see how current inverters would deal with a range like that.
Their main use will be super cheap transport and stationary storage since they have much poorer density than lithium.

How will the current chargers, built for lithium, deal with other battery chemistries? do we need another charging infrastructure?

Hina, CATL, Higee and Highstar have announced their cells, so these are coming soon.

Cycle counts are a little on the low side, probably better for solar than cars at this point
View attachment 152260

View attachment 152261

discharge curves look good, especially for cold weather
View attachment 152262
Thanks for this information! I have wondered what the sodium ion battery specs were but hadn't seen any info. I am very curious to see how well they work in cars. As mentioned by another person, this seems to be a done deal as it has been announced this battery will be in cars toward the end of the year.

This is very interesting as this is a different battery chemistry that is coming out. 80% capacity at -40 is fascinating!

I'll be curious to see how they work. I already prefer to abuse the LFP battery over the cobalt based ones just because with their low voltage swing from low charge to full they're said to be more resistant to full charging constantly which is kind of what I need. Full charging at home saves me from using public chargers almost completely.

Their main use will be super cheap transport and stationary storage since they have much poorer density than lithium.
I’m all good with better battery technology; the issue I have here with soda ash is that it is one of the most critical components to container glass manufacturing and is already a stressed supply chain. Sucking a vast majority of this supply for battery use will not only increase its cost and negatively impact 50,000+ jobs in the glass industry across the country (and its environmental impacts of not having as much glass!), it appears we will be selling a good portion of that natural resource to China, for their enrichment at our expense.

Just my .02…

Interesting question, that would not be good.
I don’t think the medium matters much really. Keep it cool and give it the voltage it wants. There will be differences I’m sure, but that should all be controlled on board of the car. Having a cobalt free car is really no different in using it, it’s just my charging habits are actually easier. I don’t set battery percentage limiters.

I don’t think the medium matters much really. Keep it cool and give it the voltage it wants. There will be differences I’m sure, but that should all be controlled on board of the car. Having a cobalt free car is really no different in using it, it’s just my charging habits are actually easier. I don’t set battery percentage limiters.
Would the plugs be the same?

Back