Return of the buttons?

A growing number of automakers are backpedaling away from the huge, complex touch screens that have infested dashboard design over the past 15 years. Buttons and knobs are coming back.
If true, that would be a welcome change, IMO. Nothing like having to dig through the menus to adjust your seat heaters (looking at you, BMW). I hope more manufacturers follow this.

That's what I love about my 1996 Ford Contour, it has knobs and buttons, no touch screen. It's so much easier to concentrate on DRIVING. And it's a 5 speed manual. Love to to rev it out pulling onto the highway :cool:

Hope they will have as many buttons as my Alfa does.

09.jpg

If true, that would be a welcome change, IMO. Nothing like having to dig through the menus to adjust your seat heaters (looking at you, BMW). I hope more manufacturers follow this.

One of my pet peeves about the 230i is that the climate control system has been put behind a menu. It's so ridiculously annoying. Thank god we leased this one.

One of my pet peeves about the 230i is that the climate control system has been put behind a menu. It's so ridiculously annoying.
I looked at the new X1, and it's the same thing there.

At least in the higher end BMWs, you still have the physical control wheel near the center arm rest to control the screen, but in the X1, they took that wheel away, so you have no choice but to use touch screen.

I looked at the new X1, and it's the same thing there.

At least in the higher end BMWs, you still have the physical control wheel near the center arm rest to control the screen, but in the X1, they took that wheel away, so you have no choice but to use touch screen.
Thankfully we still have the Idrive knob as well.

Redesigned trucks in 2019:

GM: We have buttons! Everyone says functions integrated into touch screens is bad, so we kept all those buttons based on your feedback!
Ram: We have the biggest touch screen of any truck!

Customers and automotive publications: OMG! Look at that the size of that glorious screen in the Ram! It makes GM's new truck look like a dinosaur.

Hate the silly flipper switches my Escalade uses for the ac. I have to physically look at them since there's no way to distinguish what is what by feel like in my old suvs.

Back