The smoothest most quiet engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora new. It had the "Baby NorthStar" .... 4.0L twin OHC engine.

You could only hear the injectors.

Given that, I can't believe how smooth, quiet, and long-lived the Toyota 1mz-fe V6 is. For a V6, it's amazing, and I'd like to know how it's successor behaves (2GR). Currently have one with 235k miles in an ES and I don't know when it's running w/o checking the dash, AND it still performs like new and needs no oil between changes.

Although my 1MZ-FE is smooth; it's certainly not the quietest engine. I would have preferred quieter. 2GR-FE is definitely noisier; much noisier and not as smooth IMO.
I've heard it's related to engine mounted solenoids/actuators clicking.

Last edited:
For something AFFORDABLE I would say the 2.5L v6 in my old '96 contour was super smooth and powerfull and "quiet" from idle to redline. The mitsu 3.0 v6 in my 2001 dodge RT was quiet (on a mix of 10w40 and 5w30. Otherwise the prescribed 5w30 fuel conserving oil would clatter the engine when warm. Likely Rod small ends and piston turn-around slap.

unfair question.

IME it's the accessories that make over half of the noise. Pull a belt or two and everything changes.

and it varies per engine. my 2008 3.7 jeep v6 had the noisiest injectors ever. it was almost embarassing. Same engine in a co-workers dodge, same year, was whisper silent.

volvo 2.5 NA is pretty dang quiet, with accessories. with or without turbo.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
For something AFFORDABLE I would say the 2.5L v6 in my old '96 contour was super smooth and powerfull and "quiet" from idle to redline. The mitsu 3.0 v6 in my 2001 dodge RT was quiet (on a mix of 10w40 and 5w30. Otherwise the prescribed 5w30 fuel conserving oil would clatter the engine when warm. Likely Rod small ends and piston turn-around slap.

The similar V6 in our '96 626 was also surprisingly quiet at idle and moderate revs. Near redline it made its presence known, but that was fine too.
I'm amazed what good liquid filled motor mounts can do though, even the 4 in the Focus could barely be felt at all in normal driving. My switch to a solid poly torque mount revealed that its got all the normal 4 cyl vibes.

quietest I ever experienced (fun story) was a subaru 1.8 my mother and I were test driving new. It kept "stalling" at the light (tach would drop to zero)... but you'd key the starter and it would grind. I got out and popped the hood of this shiny new wagon and the engine was idling so slowly you could fix your eyes on a point of the fan blade and watch it spin in its revolution. Idle speed must have certainly been below 100rpm. It never stalled, shook, or made a peep. It was a 5spd so the idle wasn't fighting against a TC.

(I knew this was bad and told my mom, "not this one...")

also had an old 283V8 in a '57 bel aire. That engine was silent at idle as well-- had a oil-bath air cleaner and solid rams horn exhaust manifolds. There was a subtle whine to it from either the distributor gear or the timing chain, and the faint hsssh of the air passing the throttle plate. that was it...

Originally Posted By: Trav
Only one engine has stuck in my mind for years since i heard it. an old Jaguar V12.
I have owned BMW and MB V12 engines but they were nowhere near as silent as this one, even the starter had a unusual silent turbine like sound to it when cranking. It was eerily silent, almost indescribable.

When I rode in a V12 Jag I noticed no engine sound at a stop light. The quietest engine I've ever owned is the 2.7 in my 2000 Concorde.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Only one engine has stuck in my mind for years since i heard it. an old Jaguar V12.
I have owned BMW and MB V12 engines but they were nowhere near as silent as this one, even the starter had a unusual silent turbine like sound to it when cranking. It was eerily silent, almost indescribable.

My Jaguar V12 is the smoothest, quietest, IC engine I have ever been around. I am sure the carbureted versions were even quieter than my injected engine.

I think this is due to the unique way the engine was made, with the enormous water jackets around the pressed in wet cylinder liners, and only a SOHC setup with soft stock springs. Unfortunately, all that water mass is also what killed the engine - no way to make it meet modern emission regs.

The AJ-V8 in our Xj8 isn't bad as V8's go, but it's no V12.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
What are some of the quietest engines known to man? Let's make a list.

No clickety clack. No tick tick. No buzzing. You shut the hood, you don't hear it, period.

Quiet and smooth from idle all the way up to 6000 RPM.

At idle, I know a bunch, but at 6,000 RPMs? None.

re motor vs engine.

For the folks still wanting to say its interchageable, please try to find a publication from a car manufacturer [ brochures, owners manual service manual or even website ] that calls the actual ICE a motor or an electric motor an engine.

example: go look on hondas site and the spec of one of their electric cars vs their regular car. They change the column from engine to motor.
Its a term of art and not interchangeable. No car manufacturer mixes between the two. (Please prove me wrong)
The stuff surrounding it sure,as well as colloquial speak like someone saying their cruising their whip on 20in rims. But they have specific meanings for this field

Last edited:
Toyota 2GR-FE when it's filled with Redline 20w60
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: raytseng
Originally Posted By: 3800Series
A Prius, pretty quiet especially when its on the battery. Dead silent, doesn't feel right.

Technically a "motor" though and not an "engine", unless you're a redneck mechanic who likes to use motor when you mean engine?

Please inform this redneck mechanic where I said motor or engine.

All I said was "its quiet" especially when its running off the battery. This car can be ran off battery's or gasoline so please inform me where I made this mistake which has so troubled you.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
A Prius, pretty quiet especially when its on the battery. Dead silent, doesn't feel right.

Technically a "motor" though and not an "engine", unless you're a redneck mechanic who likes to use motor when you mean engine?

Please inform this redneck mechanic where I said motor or engine.

All I said was "its quiet" especially when its running off the battery. This car can be ran off battery's or gasoline so please inform me where I made this mistake which has so troubled you.

When it's running off the battery the engine is off. So it doesn't fit the OP's quote of asking about the smoothest engines. In your post you've conflated motors->engine.

Sorry, the dig at redneck mechanics wasn't directed at you, that's for the more general conflation of people who call engines->motors.

Are you also saying the prius's engine itself is pretty smooth and quiet from idle to 6000rpm? I remember renting one and it being a bit drony and puttering when needing to push it on a hill climb and the battery power got all used up. Pretty same as any other 4cyl engine

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back