The Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame Nominees

The DJ on the radio today announced the nominees and to ignore calls to change the name of the HOF for now. At a certain point you run out of worthy nominees. MLB is ok with no inductees if that is how it is.

Iron Maiden for sure should be Hall of Fame.

Im surprised Willie Nelson is not already in…. ?

not that I keep up, but what is the proposed name change for R&R HOF, and why?

The DJ on the radio today announced the nominees and to ignore calls to change the name of the HOF for now. At a certain point you run out of worthy nominees. MLB is ok with no inductees if that is how it is.

Well I agree he certainly should be in somebody's hall of fame. I guess the question would be, did he play rock n roll?
And to answer that, we kinda need a definition of rock n roll. Good luck with that one.....

Iron Maiden for sure should be Hall of Fame.

Im surprised Willie Nelson is not already in…. ?

not that I keep up, but what is the proposed name change for R&R HOF, and why?
I think they implied it would be called the Music HOF since they've expanded beyond R&R people for induction.

I think they implied it would be called the Music HOF since they've expanded beyond R&R people for induction.
That's exactly what I was thinking and eh, no objections from me. I don't dislike the music of the non-rock and roll artists/bands listed, they just aren't rock and roll, so why call it that ? I don't know what some of them really "contributed" though, i.e. Cindi Lauper. She had what, 2-3 hit songs ? Never heard of The Spinners or Joy Division/New Order.

And to answer that, we kinda need a definition of rock n roll. Good luck with that one.....

Which is really the point, right? Since the inception of the term, rock and roll has eluded all forms of definition. It has morphed and shifted to describe an artist in nearly every genre of music, so much so that rock and roll is no longer a genre at all.

Realistically, rock and roll hasn't been a genre since the early-60s. You could even make an argument that rock and roll died on February 3, 1959.

Every artist or group that came along after that was some type of hybrid-genre. That's how it's been for the past 60 years.

Years ago I heard an interview with a very angry Chubby Checker that he is not in the HOF, and I assume still is not.

I guess somebody doesn't like him.
t

Chubby Checker didn't have a very prolific career. He had exactly two #1 singles. One of them happens to be the most successful single on the Billboard chart ever, but he is dangerously close to fitting the definition of a one-hit-wonder.

The way he acted after his perceived snub from the R&R HOF probably didn't win him many people willing to support his nomination, lest he throw another tantrum if he didn't win his nomination.

I've been to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. There is a Great Lakes Freighter and the WWII Sub USS Cod you can go on and a Coast Guard PX within walking distance of the RRHOF.

Which is really the point, right? Since the inception of the term, rock and roll has eluded all forms of definition. It has morphed and shifted to describe an artist in nearly every genre of music, so much so that rock and roll is no longer a genre at all.

Realistically, rock and roll hasn't been a genre since the early-60s. You could even make an argument that rock and roll died on February 3, 1959.

Every artist or group that came along after that was some type of hybrid-genre. That's how it's been for the past 60 years.
Just a reminder..........Dolly Parton was nominated last year .

I've been to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. There is a Great Lakes Freighter and the WWII Sub USS Cod you can go on and a Coast Guard PX within walking distance of the RRHOF.
and the Great Lakes Science Center! (kind of a hands on science museum), also right next to the Football Stadium..
CLEwaterfront.jpg

Back