The Ranger is finally giving up

My 2003 Ranger with a M5OD is finally done. She’s headed to the transmission shop tomorrow to have it rebuilt. It never shifted great but a fill of John Deere Low-Viscosity Hygard solved almost all the issues except 5th gear whine. It is popping out of first and giving a harsh grind into second, it acts terrible in reverse. It feels like it tries to lock up when in reverse, grinds, bangs, the truck shakes and then moves fine for a bit. Told the shop to do everything, I don’t know how bad the damage is yet but I don’t want to open the transmission again after this for anything but a fluid change. I’ll post carnage pics here if there’s anything worth posting.

Maybe the use of "tractor" lube contributed the the demise of your M50D, who knows? . It may have had issues long ago if you couldn't get good shifts using the recommended Mercon or (V).

Last edited:
How much is it going to cost? There is a 50/50 chain the shop will correctly rebuild it I bet. Do they know the TSB's this transmssion may have had?

I would research this company. They seem to have an overstock on rebuilt ones with updated parts discounted at $695 + core + shipping.
Use an American Express card to order it if you have one or a good card with fraud protection if it worries you.

Sounds like an M5OD. Had a coworker with an F150 that was a 4.9/M5OD combo and I don't know who taught him to drive manual but when he downshifted the rhythm was:
Clutch
Shift from say 4th to 3rd
Basically drop the clutch while mashing the gas

I really don't how it made it to 200k flawless miles. Still shifted fine, no whines, no grinds.

I've driven a couple M5OD and I hate the way first and second are spaced out.

How much is it going to cost? There is a 50/50 chain the shop will correctly rebuild it I bet. Do they know the TSB's this transmssion may have had?

I would research this company. They seem to have an overstock on rebuilt ones with updated parts discounted at $695 + core + shipping.
Use an American Express card to order it if you have one or a good card with fraud protection if it worries you.

I was thinking the exact same thing...there’s a chance they aren’t going to rebuild it right, charge you, and you’ll only get a year out of it. I’m sure there’s a “warranty”, but I’ve seen some places give the old “tail light warranty”. When you drive away, the car is only under warranty for as long as they can see your tail lights.

The M5OD is overrated. The one in my 94 4x4 shifted like absolute garbage, though I think one of the previous owners ran it low on fluid due to the infamous shift rail plug leak. I greatly prefer automatic Rangers. Please give me an A4LD or 5R55E over an M5OD any day.

How many miles on the tranny?
It is the original tranny?
It the mileage the same for the tranny & the engine?
Unknown on the miles and if it has been touched before. I would guess it has been touched given their reputation and the fact that it was a Coke fleet truck for the first 200k miles of it's life. It currently has 235k miles or so.

Maybe the use of "tractor" lube contributed the the demise of your M50D, who knows? . It may have had issues long ago if you couldn't get good shifts using the recommended Mercon or (V).
I don't think it hurt anything at all and honestly I would run it again. I am of the opinion that it bought me another 30k or so miles.

Looking at about a grand were thinking. It is a local shop with an old school guy that really knows his stuff. I have used them before and trust them 100%. It may cost a little more but I know what I am getting.

I feel your pain. My 03 3.0 rangers transmission took a crap after 14 years, got rid of her in 2017, cost to rebuild transmissions on an island was just not worth it. I’d still be driving that ranger if the tranny was in good shape.

I feel your pain. My 03 3.0 rangers transmission took a crap after 14 years, got rid of her in 2017, cost to rebuild transmissions on an island was just not worth it. I’d still be driving that ranger if the tranny was in good shape.
Mine ended up costing a lot more than expected but I feel better about the in-house build rather than a salvage or outside "reman" unit. It ended up being roughly $2350. All name brand parts went back in along with new U joints and they balanced the driveshaft.

I had an F150 with the M5OD and I hated it. I wished I had gotten an auto. **** thing made every noise in the book and liked to shift rough on the 1-2 shift if I didn't have the clutch nailed to the floor.

Mine ended up costing a lot more than expected but I feel better about the in-house build rather than a salvage or outside "reman" unit. It ended up being roughly $2350. All name brand parts went back in along with new U joints and they balanced the driveshaft.
Imagine double that. That’s what I was working with, there were only 2 reputable transmission shops on island.

Does it shift good now? That's the important thing.

Back