The old school green stuff - where to get cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.
The green I am talking about, when new, is quite “neon” but gets more “forest” green with use

In theory, water would work if it weren’t for freezing temps and rust, but I figure for the few extra bucks, grab the right stuff

This might not be an appropriate place to ask, given the title I gave the post when I started it, but what is the chemistry of Toyota read, Toyota pink, and Honda blue

$9.99 at Runnings and I am back in business. I found $525,000 worth if other stuff I never knew I needed,
Too!!!

I've ordered Zerex green off Amazon, but even O'Reilly and AZ have conventional green. The Zerex formula is still a silicated and phosphated coolant but it also has a touch of OAT to give it a longer life.

Originally Posted By: Drew1987
This might not be an appropriate place to ask, given the title I gave the post when I started it, but what is the chemistry of Toyota read, Toyota pink, and Honda blue

All of those are Asian phosphated silicate free formulas. While Toyota Red isn't a true "super long life" coolant it qualifies as one. Toyota Red uses sodium benzoate as the organic acid component(Honda and Subaru Blue also use benzoate), while Toyota Pink uses sodium sebecate or sebacic acid for the organic acid. They will mix with each other.

Originally Posted By: gomes512
Bad experience with AMAM?

they're talking about death-cool aka dex-cool clones, which the prestone amam and several others are.

Originally Posted By: sw99
I use the plain green stuff thats full strength at Walmart. Hard to beat the price.
Last time I looked at SuperTech antifreeze bottle more than a year ago, it listed 2-EHA which is typical for a Dexcool clone. If so not the best if trying to avoid Dexcool.

SV6PqQb.png

Good to know, thanks. I really never worried about it but then again I do yearly drain and fills so that might be why. I have never had any coolant related issues.

At one time I think supertec had a true old school green, but turns out that
Since I have had my 1950, even with the original engine, I’ve used autozone brand original green, which boasts the fact that it’s old school and concentrated.

Turns out the reason I had to add coolant (which is my, inherently, I started this thread) is because over tne winter, my 68 year old radiator gave up the ghost. Being that I have a replacement aluminum one, it’s already 1/2 way installed; modifications are done. Before I fill it, is the green an appropriate coolant for an aluminum radiator?

Originally Posted By: sw99
Good to know, thanks. I really never worried about it but then again I do yearly drain and fills so that might be why. I have never had any coolant related issues.

I've been doing 10 year coolant changes with both my BMW and mt Ford. No problems so far. Had both since new

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back