The oil or the weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a previous thread, i detailed how my 2009 Chrysler T&C consumed a quart of oil per 1k miles. The Chrysler 3.8 is noted for this pattern of consumption. Last OCI, consumption was reduced to about 1qt/2k miles using Pennz Ultra 10W/30. For the winter, i just changed to Pennz Platinum (GTL) 0W/20. I could not find Ultra in an 0W formulation. Consumption is at one quart in 623 miles! I am not sure if it is a difference between the Platinum/Ultra or the difference between the 0W/10W. Your thouhgts?

I plan on running 10k OCIs because of the amount of top off oil, even at 1qt/2K miles. Currently using PYB 5W/30 for top offs between OCIs. If I reach 10k miles by this summer, I plan on running PYB 5w/30 one OCI to see how it performs in relation to consumption.

This summer I ran my motorhome (towing a car) 3,100 miles on PU 10-30. Did not use any oil at all for the entire trip, Still full and golden colored with a slightly darker tinge. The NOACK numbers for this oil is the lowest I have ever seen.

Your engine seems to correlate consumption with weight. I would stick with the 10w-30 unless you dare try 15w-40. With that kind of consumption I would also check PCV, and use conventional oil.

I would run the 10w-30. Those engines arent very sophisticated, but 15w-40 will hurt your mileage pretty bad unless you do long highway trips with few cold starts.

1Qt. in 2k is not bad. I'd stick with the 10w-30. My 94 3.8 was doing 1400/qt. when I bought it at 187K. Switched to T-6 5w-40 and usage dropped to 2300/qt. Good enough.

Wayne

+1. 1 qt per 2k isn't too bad. Have you tried a dino 10w30 yet? I see you're from South Dakota.. I'd run a 5w 30 regardless of consumption during the winter assuming you see (*a lot of)

Last edited:
Correction, my top off oil is pyb 10w/30. The 2005 conumption was 1 qt/2000 miles or less using Platinum 5w/30.

Yes, i will try a conventional 10w/30 during the summer months. Probably PYB.

Originally Posted By: otis24
For the winter, i just changed to Pennz Platinum (GTL) 0W/20. I could not find Ultra in an 0W formulation. Consumption is at one quart in 623 miles! I am not sure if it is a difference between the Platinum/Ultra or the difference between the 0W/10W. Your thoughts?

It's blatantly obvious to me that the consumption is due to the 0W-20, but I guess normal people don't see it that way.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
It's blatantly obvious to me that the consumption is due to the 0W-20, but I guess normal people don't see it that way.

Give us a break. It's pretty obvious to most people, even ones not as enlightened as you.

Originally Posted By: jayg
Give us a break. It's pretty obvious to most people, even ones not as enlightened as you.

Normal people are good about showing up to work everyday and paying their taxes, but when it comes to anything mechanical, they're clueless.
grin2.gif

I'm curious about something, why do some people use a different oil for top offs? In my vehicles if I'm using 15-50 synthetic, I top off with 15-50 synthetic. In the winter I drop down to 5w-30 and I top off with 5w-30. If I'm using 10w-30 I top off with 10w-30. I always top off with the same weight and also the same brand of oil that I used in my oil change. Why change the top off oil from the oil you used at your last OCI? This way I'm always using the exact same oil all the time, instead of creating the possibility of using a different additive package which may not be compatible with the oil that is already in your engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back