The Official Cheapskates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having blood pressure, I was topping up on Bananas, and my son Connor was certainly taking huge advantage of the increased supply in the house...he loves them.

But $12/kG is ridiculous, admittedly the same cost as Mars Bars, but we don't eat them either.

Another cheapskate idea.

Shop every day.

We found that when we shop for a week, we throw out a lot of stuff. We also live less than 10 minutes walk from a shopping centre, Woolworths, the train station, and main street. 10 minutes each way is a good tire out for a 3 year old.

Shopping every day:
* stops us throwing out stuff at the end of the week that we oversocked;
* helps the kids use up some energy;
* gets us out and about for 20-30 minutes of walking;
* saves us 20% in meat costs, as we get the stuff with 2 days to go for 20% off.
* means we eat what we feel like, rather than planning a week's worth of meals.

$5.50/Kg at Canberra Region Farmers Market. Tweed Heads guy drives a truck down every 2nd Saturday. Our local Organic shop 'As Nature Intended' has 'em for $12/kg. Your paying too much IMO.

Where are aussie bananas grown? All those numbers seem really high. Interesting thing is sometimes here organic and regular are the same price. I will say the organic bananas taste better!

Organic always tastes better. Never understood Avocado till I tried an organic one. Anyway bananas are currently expensive as the cyclone that hit Nth Qld wiped out nearly the entire crop. Will be Xmas at least before theres a recovery.

Pablo, they were plodding along at the usual $1.99-$2.99. per kilountil the aforememntioned cyclone destroyed almost the entire industry.

Oz will not allow the import of bananas at all, so the distributors are having a field day. The bananas take some time to ripen, so the distributors had a few months supply that they'd paid squat for, and could raise wholesale prices 1000% or so.

Don't get sick. Bring high health cost family members to a socialized medicine country and leave them there. (only joking. But health care costs can blow any budget away)

Ride a bicycle instead of driving for errands that can be completed on two wheels.

I have a Chase credit card and participate in the "Chase Ultimate Rewards" program. I run as much of my expenses as possible through this card. I can qualify for up to $600 per year in CASH! The program costs $39 a year, so I am $561 a year ahead.

Shop for clothes in overstocks areas on web sites, such as Lands End.

Comparison shop on the internet. Here in Vermont where we are at least 20 miles from anything, we do a lot of internet/home shopping, and comparison shopping helps a lot.

i have an uncle that raised chickens in a 60x200 foot 2 story chicken barn. they have gone through many millions of them, and ate their fair share of chicken too. his neighbor grew free range chickens for the organic market.

they would swap off chickens to eat once in a while. neither could ever tell the difference between free range and commercal chicken.

neither could tell any difference between brown and white eggs either.

Not hard to tell the difference between chicken and real organic chicken. They are not even the same colour and they sure don't taste the same. With the list of people dying from superbugs in their hundreds if not thosands (hospitals don't want/have to give statistics) from mainly eating chicken laced with the same anti-biotics the hospital/doctor gives you when sick. You eat anti-biotics every day or 2nd day and you build up a resistance to it. Not for this family that's for sure.

I rarely buy supermarket chicken I think its aborhorent plain unless well marianted. I grew up (in Kuwait/Egypt) where you bought chicken fresh and were supposed to butcher yourself at home but my mum would have the seller butcher it.

In my paper mill When the millwrights have to stay overtime, the company buys them a great meal from a choice of local restraunts. Usually a millwright will be chosen to go round and pick the dinners up and bring back for 5:00.
The guys would eat/break from 5~5:30. After the guys would go back to work for a few hours, this old millwright would always slide off the job and take a backway up to the lunchroom and go thru any leftover lunches left on the table. With a bag, he'd take a leftover sandwich 1/2 here, a 1/2 eaten sandwich there, apples or a bisquit, even cold french fries left on a plate.
The old millwright would hide out and eat them up on the roof and/or take them home after work. [a bunch of us started watching him for fun]

If the company brought a buffet in, he would load up a plastic shopping bag with lettuce/cold cuts, fruit...Im surprised he never went thru the garbage can. Now this guy makes tradesman wages which ain't half bad $$$ at all, i'll tell ya!

Elvor ticked off a few guys by eating their leftover lunches that would be finished eating on next coffee break.

...so one guy got smart and put "Never-Seez®" in his own sandwich and left it in his lunch take-out tray, baiting Elvor. The whole crew knew what was up.
Elvor grabbed that take out tray, opened up took the sandwich and as-usual went up to the roof and ate it. He ate the whole thing, unbelievable, never even flinched, I think being dark out he could not see the grey sludge of Never-Seez® all over his sandwich/hands/mouth...what a mess.

Back down to the job he went and guys were asking him howcome he had a "silver smile" or "tin grin"
HAHA...the ticked-off millwright put the can of Never-Seez® in Elvor's lunch bag.

...needless to say Elvor never did that again.
...soon after he retired.
...he still lives with his mom.
...he still drives a 76 impala
...he is supposedly a millionaire
...he still wears rubber boots from the mill.
...he quit fishing because it got too expensive
...he took up birdwatching because it's cheap to do!....and interesting? bwaa haa ha hahaa

...his picture is in the dictionary under "cheapskate"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back