The Official Cheapskates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being Cheap. I found a place that has $3 pitchers Monday-Thursday all night. I only go there now.

They have decent beer on tap too. Amber Bock, Killians, Widman Weizen. Yum.

"What I, and all the other Aussies on this board don't understand is Americans obsession with cheap. You have more free money than any other nation yet you never mention quality, you just want cheap. Australians want quality and insist on it whatever the cost. What drives this American obsession with cheap as it really screws our minds up?? "
-----------------------------------------------------------

Given that we are the most generous nation in the history of mankind in giving aid, pardon us if we're cheap towards ourselves. Generosity towards others and not oneself is not a bad quality .

buy oil free after rebate and stock up.
The other night we ate dinner at taco bell. two bean burritos for me, wife eats a soft taco and nachos with one large drink (we share)=$4.97
buy groceries at walmart. go to kroger during the week to hit their sales and buy sale items only. have 5% GM card rebate. started in 1999, used entire 5% earnings on 06 Ponitac vibe. almost $2300 rebate with GM card earnings. how much finance charges did I paid over seven years you ask? estimated about 70 bucks. ya, I pay off my card every month in full. I drive fuel efficient economy cars. I never eat out for lunch at work, everyone bugs me to order out. I don't want to spend 10 bucks everyday I work for food. drink tap water, no soda. Get AAA rates on hotels on vacation. dropped blockbuster membership in favor of Netflix online. we get like 20 movies a month for 21 bucks a month. that's like less than a dollar per rental. I um don't buy CDs.
wink.gif
I get haircuts every 6-8 weeks. geez, I can go on and on.
lol.gif

one place I'll never skimp out on, is my gym membership! I never go with those smaller 'elite' gyms, I rather go with the larger "city of_" memberships as they usually offer much more for the price than those smaller gyms that offer free personal trainers with membership.

The benefits gained with a gym membership (granted, you do have to actually USE IT), far outweigh the costs!

quote:

Originally posted by eljefino:
5% back using my citibank card at grocery stores, drugstores, gas stations.

Could you provide a link to that card??

For me. Never pay interest on anything. In my case..being retired and everything, I'm not in the mode of saving and skimping anymore. I don't intend to skimp so my kids have a larger inheritence.
smile.gif

offtopic.gif

quote:

Originally posted by msparks:
Wrong. sodium is not necessarily bad. (on 60 mile bicycle ride I can sweat out over 2500 mg salt)

I will disagree with that statement. While it is true that some] hypertensive people (me) are more affected by salt...Sodium in higher quantities replaces potassium throuth out the body. Just like sodium replaces calcium in water softner generation. This leads to water retension wich will cause higher bp in everyone. It causes loss of potassium and magnesium in muscle tissue. The most important muscle where sodium is a problem is the heart muscle.

Needding extra sodium in hot weather in streneous conditions is a myth. It is more important to take extra potassium in hot weather as it is also depleted. And taking the extra sodium can expedite loss of potassium and magnesium in the heart muscle.

I worked in a nuclear station and when we were going into extremely hot (heat) areas we had lots of dielectic balanced juices..no sodium tablets.

Since this could be a medical issue: Please don't take my information as gospel. Do the research. Since I have high bp, I did the research. Let me know if anything I said is incorrect.

I know that in my case eating lots of potassium foods ( cantalope,watermelon, tomato juice[low sodium], bananas, raisins, etc) keeps my blood pressure from spiking. There is a lot of evidence out there that says potassium rich foods cut strokes in half. Easy to understand why.

quote:

What I, and all the other Aussies on this board don't understand is Americans obsession with cheap.

As others have mentioned in other threads, you shouldn't stereotype or make general statements. What you say is NOT necessarily true and in my case quite wrong. Most Americans actually seek a good balance. Not buying the most expensive item nor the cheapest. Value is the key.

edit - craig's list and my wife actually seem to be a good combination. I don't have the patience to shop the list but she is good.

[ July 03, 2006, 10:00 AM: Message edited by: Pablo ]

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
It causes loss of potassium and magnesium in muscle tissue. The most important muscle where sodium is a problem is the heart muscle.

Needding extra sodium in hot weather in streneous conditions is a myth. It is more important to take extra potassium in hot weather as it is also depleted. And taking the extra sodium can expedite loss of potassium and magnesium in the heart muscle.

I know that in my case eating lots of potassium foods ( cantalope,watermelon, tomato juice[low sodium], bananas, raisins, etc) keeps my blood pressure from spiking. There is a lot of evidence out there that says potassium rich foods cut strokes in half. Easy to understand why.

That's some awesome info. I'll do some more research and see. I might be changing my diet if that is the case.

Thanks.

quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
Given that we are the most generous nation in the history of mankind in giving aid, pardon us if we're cheap towards ourselves. Generosity towards others and not oneself is not a bad quality .

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/eco_eco_aid_don_pergdp-economic-aid-donor-per-gdp
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/eco_eco_aid_don_percap-economic-aid-donor-per-capita
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/eco_eco_aid_don-economy-economic-aid-donor

Although the above don't list the U.S., the following does, indicating that total is 0.2% of GDP, including all the aid going to Iraq. 0.2% places the U.S. at the tenth most generous.

http://usinfo.state.gov/usa/infousa/trade/files/98-916.pdf

spend less.

i spend about 5 bucks a day on food.
for breakfast i make 2 eggs and 1 toast with 2 strips of bacon, OR a bowl of cereal. thats like $1.50 for breakfast. somtimes i dont even eat breakfast.

lunch is a mcdonalds mcchicken sandwhich and water for a dollar.

dinner can be pasta, noodles etc with a piece of frozen chicken, OR just a big salad and a bottle of smirnoff twisted strawberry.

i eat for less than $5 a day. thats more than most people spend on lunch alone.

stop drinking bottled water. tap water is good enough for 99.5% of the world. if you must drink bottled water then get a gallon jug from walmart to use for refilling youre water bottles. gallon water jug refulls are only 25 cents.

another big thing is to drive a used, fuel efficent car and take off from a stop slowly. conserve fuel because it is a major expense and you can somtimes cut that expense in half if you dont drive like a jerk. i know i have heard people say they will buy a new car and keep it a really long time to make up for the cost but why not buy a used car and keep it a really long time? it works out to be alot cheaper in the end no matter how you slice it. besides, a new car is just a used car that hasnt been driven. theres no difference.

make sure to pay off any debt because debt incures interest which is like throwing money away. besides the interest, being in debt just sucks. this is probably the biggest thing i can think of.

to save on cost of clothing shop walmart for things like socks and boxer shorts. but shirts, pants shoes etc get from used clothing places like salvation army. last year i scored a entire 3 piece pin stripe gangster looking suit for $5! cant beat that. the clothes at many of these goodwill type stores are redicously cheap and they throw out the stained or messed up ones so you wont get somthing that is old and junky.

shop pawn shops or other used places for things like tv's, stereo etc. you can normally get a 1-2 year old item at less than half the cost of new. curb shopping for furnature works pretty good if you only do it in the rich neighbourhoods. you can get some pretty sweet couches and stuff for free.

another big one, and i know this is going to be contraversial but i thought id throw it in anyways. homeowners insurance, flood, fire, theft, tornado etc. the odds are greatly in youre favour that nothing will ever happen to youre house. so stop betting on the long shot and drop the ins.

install an active tempature controlled fan in the attic to ventilate during the summer. it also helps to plant shade trees on the east and west side of a house to block the sun for a good part of the day so youre a/c doesnt run so much during the summer.

shower at night and afterwards turn the hot water heater off. dont turn it back on untill you get home from work the next day. no sence heating water and subsiquently the house if no ones there.

quote:

another big one, and i know this is going to be contraversial but i thought id throw it in anyways. homeowners insurance, flood, fire, theft, tornado etc. the odds are greatly in youre favour that nothing will ever happen to youre house. so stop betting on the long shot and drop the ins.

Not sure where to start on this one....

quote:

Most Americans actually seek a good balance.

As others have mentioned in other threads, you shouldn't stereotype or make general statements.
grin.gif
cheers.gif

My saving grace is that I happen to enjoy a lot of activities that don't cost a lot, or actually save me money (e.g. working on my car, cooking meals myself, shopping for sales, etc.). My cheapskat-ery is sort of built into my lifestyle because it's naturally reinforced.

As far as the quality vs. cost thing, I'm probably a moderate, but I do like to think of myself as a "smart shopper" instead of a penny pincher. A couple examples:

1) I roast my own coffee, which turns out to be about $5.25/lb after you figure in the water loss from roasting and whatnot. I get top quality beans for less than half of what I'd pay otherwise, and they're fresher too.

2) Chicken thighs. Nobody buys these at the store, and they practically give them away. Why? I don't know, people are insane, this is the best part of the chicken. Madness. johnsmith will gladly take them off their hands.

3) Irish whiskey. Lol, so many absolutely amazing Irish Whiskeys available for next to nothing because all the GQ-reading yuppies are "too refined" to be drinking such filth. Their loss. Pays to know your way around the beer/wine/spirits world. Shiraz, Riesling? Great wines available for nothing. If someone wants to spend 2 hours dissecting a glass of grape juice, they can. I want to enjoy my wine with a good meal for a decent price, not make love to it. When all else fails, try some good ol water. It’s not just for bathing in you know.

4) Renting. I am a big movie/music person, and am lucky to have three very large and well stocked libraries available to me. Books, music movies for free (legally), and the movie selection in two of them is a hundred times better than Blockbuster, et al. If I can’t find it there, we have a great campus movie store that specializes in obscure films, and rents movies cheap. Most of the movies they crank out nowadays in the theater are **** anyway, so I hardly ever go. (Except to see “Cars”, good movie, took little cousin to see it a week or two ago, and “An Inconvenient Truth”… have to stay up the global warming thing ya know).

5) "Shopping" for entertainment. **** paying big bucks for a night out. We go to see local artists for little or nothing, and take advantage of special events. I take my mom to "Bach's Lunch" in the spring/fall/winter, and it's around $10 for both of us. You get a small catered lunch (get the name now? cute huh?) along with a performance from a local artist, and they're always very good. Last time it was a father/daughter violin recital (child prodigy, she was amazing). Do I need to mention local sports? Have a kid? Children's museums/parks/forests/fishing/have them make dinner with you/take them on a bike ride/read to them/attend local programs and events for kids their age. You have to look for stuff in the papers and on bulletin boards, they're not going to advertise this stuff on television. Having fun doesn't need to cost a lot, and you can soak them in "cultural capital" at the same time. Kids will only know the difference if they're spoiled.
wink.gif
When I was little, my grandparents would pack a cooler full of sandwich stuff, cookies, soda, etc. and take us kids to a hotel to spend the night once in a while. It was always a nice hotel, but nothing fancy, and we would have a blast swimming and fighting until we couldn't take it anymore, and then we would watch movies in the room and eat stuff out of the cooler. They didn't have a lot of money, and we thought living somewhere else for a night was about the coolest thing ever, so it worked out great. If you live on the coast, it would probably be something like this, except on a beach instead. (Public pools around here are not that impressive.) How did I get off on a rabbit trail again? Geez...

6) Longer OCIs with the right oil, and cost-effective preventative maintenance, duh. Thanks BITOG!

7) Buying in bulk/swallowing your pride. You're not going to stop ******** or getting dirty until you're dead, so I stock up on TP and laundry detergent. I split my shopping between different stores, and buy cheap if it's not going to be a big deal. Oooh! I got my falafel mix out of the bulk bin instead of making it from scratch myself! Call the culinary police an have them lock me up! Guess what? Everyone’s going to be half drunk when they’re eating them anyway. Don’t cast your pearls before swine. Just throw in a handful of fresh parsley, and you're good to go. Run the fryer oil through a piece of cheesecloth and use it again within a few days/weeks. No one’s going to die. Best brownie mix in the entire world is from ALDI (rock-bottom-looks-like-a-food-bank budget grocery, saw a man get attacked by a woman with a brick there once). Always in the cart on my monthly trip. Farmer's Market on Saturdays for produce, avoid the overpriced items unless it's a special occasion. $$ for making a fresh peach pie = jack **** if you buy "seconds" from a roadside stand or FM vendor. (And they're better for pie making anyway).

8) Hmmm… this list could go on for a while. I think you get the point. As someone once sang though “you just can’t have it all”. You have to get out your wallet for some things, and the real trick is knowing the when and where to do that, and when to move on I think. Anyway, sorry, I haven’t dumped a big steaming pile on this board for at least a week or two now, hope you forgive me.

quote:

Originally posted by simple_gifts:

quote:

Not sure where to start on this one....

Let me tell you about my experiance with homeowner insurance. August 1989, Wife had taken the kids to a movie. I was at the bowling alley, 1st. night of league bowling. House got hit by lightning, set fires in the soffet both front and back. Upper floor was 90% destroyed, lower floor was heavily water damaged. State Farm ended up paying around $90K, 1989 dollars. I think I'm still a few $$ up on the ins. co.

quote:

Originally posted by njc:
We often dilute juices to a 50:50 blend. I don't need that much liquid sugar when I drink although I don't care for plain water.

When I'm at work I drink only water but once I get home I like to drink juice but I also mix it 50/50 to cut down on the amount of sugar I take in. And the juice I buy already has a very small amount of sugar to begin with (10g of sugar per 250ml, compared to 30g per 250ml for most other juices)

I pretty much never hire anything done....drywall, electrical work, carpentry, fences, locks, doors, etc....Tools? (high quality) bought years ago (good yankee ingenuity and balance). Skills? Sure the first jobs were slow, but always done RIGHT. Now it's just a matter of getting mass in gear.

This saves thousands of dollars.

Pikers, pretenders, phonies, spendthrifts. Who else has a cheap little 77 truck as their daily driver? Having outlived Jack Benny and his Maxwell, I am now king. Of course any truck you don't have to have is an indulgence. Still, even around town I get over 20 mpg. A truck also facilitates saving money in many ways. A bigger truck than you need is a stupid waste of money.

Money I don't spend on a nice, new, large truck is money I can spend elsewhere or save to spend later.

Most of our food comes from Aldi's. You really have to shop there to see the difference. One big item is a pound of frozen ground turkey for $1. We use it like hamburger in spaghetti, chili, etc.

I will pay more for quality. That does not always mean an expensive, well advertised product, Fram. Much of my clothing comes from Penny's, St. John's Bay, Towncraft, etc. Few name brands and no designer wear. I haven't bought any Levi products since they dropped support of the Boy Scouts. Years ago I drove past a place offering Izod at 60% off. My first thought was what a deal. Then I thought, ''What if somebody thinks I was dumb enough to pay regular price?''.

I expect things to hold up, and when they break, I fix them one way or another. I hate not being able to buy parts. A welder, tap and die set, and some imagination can go a long ways. Still using the dryer we bought in 1973. It helps to buy the simpler models without so much to go wrong.

Avoid fads. Much of our furniture dates back to the 70's. At first Mediterranean was a big fad, then as 1976 approached, it was early American. We bought traditional designs that still don't look dated.

Plant a garden, but don't get carried away. Some people have a shed it cost as much to fill as a garage full of Snap On. And don't let it become too much work. We keep it simple and use a lot of mulch. Corn, beans, tomatoes, squash, parsnips, rhubarb, mostly things hard to buy good stuff. We can buy nice peas and carrots at Aldi's.

If you want a dog, check the shelter. Get it good vet care including spay/neuter, but don't waste money on super premium chows. Dry Pro Plan is absolutely as high priced as any dog needs. If cleaning up stools isn't a big deal, go cheaper. More details?, PM me.

As they burn out, I as replacing incandescent bulbs with compact flouresents. Home Depot has cheap ones the come on almost instantly.

Dump your phone company. My kids don't have anything except cell phones and cable internet. I am still clinging to almost a land line, internet telephony. Unfortunately the Feds and the states have discovered VOIP and are adding a bunch of taxes. Still my Vonage phone costs me just over $30 for complete, full featured, local service plus unlimited long distance to all of the USA, Canada, and now much of Europe.

Stay healthy.

Pick wild berries. I picked about 2 quarts last night on public game lands. No license needed. Usually I take the dog and let her run. That means sticking close to the river so she can cool off with a dip.

Plan ahead and make fewer trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back