The New Fleet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JOD

As far as the Cruz...

The 5 door looks like a really nice little car. Small sedans just aren't on my radar screen--to much stuff, too many dogs..

For the life of me I don't understand why they won't sell these here? It looks like an awesome little car. Maybe it's where I live, but I see way more hatchbacks, wagons, small SUV's than I do sedans. With gas prices continuing to escalate, I imaging there are a lot of SUV owners wondering if they can fit their stuff in a Focus 5 door. I think GM is really missing the boat on that one.

Cruz 5 door?
confused.gif

Congrats! I would like to buy a (1) new car, but the one I want costs more than all my other vehicles values combined - I just can't justify it, so I will be happy for you while I enjoy my not-new rides.

BTW - the tire/battery for life deal usually isn't worth much. When I bought the G35 they offered a lifetime engine warranty if I did all the req'd (severe schedule) service through them. I did the math and realized that with the savings of DIY, I could pay for a new engine around 100K. I figured I would take my chances.

My last Toyota had free tires/batteries for life - same deal, but the tires they would put on were not what I wanted, and the battery would have saved me $80 every few years...Not worth driving to the dealer for the service.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
I didn't drive one, but my dad did and he said that overall acceleration is about the same, but the Turbo engine clearly has more torque, in more places.

Any turbo lag noticeable compared to the NA??

Originally Posted By: johnachak
I didn't drive one, but my dad did and he said that overall acceleration is about the same, but the Turbo engine clearly has more torque, in more places.

Any turbo lag noticeable compared to the NA??

There is a tiny bit of turbo lag, but the transmission contributes to that a little bit, with the torque converter in coast mode.

Overall, I like the car. I've averaged 28mpg since I've owned the car, which is mixed city/highway. I've slowed down to 65-70mph, if I have the A/C off I'll be getting 38-39mpg or so. Speed up to 75 and turn on A/C, it's down to 31-32 or so.

The seats are still very comfortable. Manual shifting really helps city mileage. The transmission has "learned" since I got it, and it has improved but still shifts a little higher than what I'd prefer, but that's a minor complaint. It just isn't programmed to take advantage of the engines torque.

Overall, I like the car. I've averaged 28mpg since I've owned the car, which is mixed city/highway. I've slowed down to 65-70mph, if I have the A/C off I'll be getting 38-39mpg or so. Speed up to 75 and turn on A/C, it's down to 31-32 or so.

Wow, that is quite a hit in fuel mileage with just 5mph increase. I guess you gotta watch the boost and 75mph seems to be the tipping point for that engine.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

Wow, that is quite a hit in fuel mileage with just 5mph increase. I guess you gotta watch the boost and 75mph seems to be the tipping point for that engine.

Well, also with A/C. But yes. With the current gearing, it turns ~2900RPM in 6th, so it isn't the slowest spinning engine. On acceleration, it starts spooling at ~1800, and will reach full boost at about 2000rpm. Once it hit's boost, the mileage drops like crazy.

65: ~38-39
70: ~36
75: ~32

Window sticker for my car. I don't think they adjusted the Domestic parts content to the US made engine/transmission. Because the Austria/Mexico cars are also 45%. I would guess domestic parts content in the 60s-70s, maybe higher.

IMG_0680.jpg

And the little stickers on the doors. Not for really any reason other than because I can.

IMG_0678.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

Originally Posted By: santov

Critic: I have to respectfully call you out. I don't want you take this as a personal rebuttal. True to your screen name you kept harping Nick numbers etc,etc. If owning vehicles was strictly a numbers game we'd all be driving Prii like you. But it's not.

...esp at full Prii MSRP (okay that was a friendly jab).

He does mock me at times for my reasoning, so I figured that I return the favor.
wink.gif

I didn't buy the Prius, someone else did. And I'm not keeping that car for more than a year, as the car will likely replace the van and become my dad's daily driver. Also, at the time of purchase, a few hundred under MSRP was actually a very good price for the vehicle considering supply and demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back