The New Fleet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nick R
Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
Not a GM fan I take it?

Well I wasn't say anything further but if you want to stir the pot that's on you... and no I don't like Chevy. They have the potential of being really good vehicles but bean counters must more influence than they should.

Once upon a time, sure.

And ALL manufacturers have that problem, not just GM
wink.gif

That could be true.. I'll let you find out. The family and I have wasted to much $ on Chevy's. I'll stick with my works and has for 20+ years. I do prefer Chevy's interior and mpgs unfortunately that's not enough.

Not a GM fan I take it?

Well I wasn't say anything further but if you want to stir the pot that's on you... and no I don't like Chevy. They have the potential of being really good vehicles but bean counters must more influence than they should.

Once upon a time, sure.

And ALL manufacturers have that problem, not just GM
wink.gif

That could be true.. I'll let you find out. The family and I have wasted to much $ on Chevy's. I'll stick with my works and has for 20+ years. I do prefer Chevy's interior and mpgs unfortunately that's not enough.

This is right on. Too many people who are not as well off as the OP have been burned by cars from GM.

Life is too short to "give them another chance" as some people might say. Once you find something that works for you it's hard go back.

I thought everyone agreed to let the bashing stop? And it was further up in this thread!

To add more positive vibes to this thread, I must say I'm very impressed with Chevrolet after owning my 98 Corvette for almost 7 years now. I bought it with 32k on it and it now has 127k, and has been a very reliable daily driver! The total cost I've spent on repairs over the past 7 years is only $1234! That's an average of only $176 per year! And actually, one of those repairs was a new ECM (corrosion killed it, the original battery must have leaked acid on it, a common C5 problem) which I later found out could have been covered under the emissions warranty, so if you take that repair out of the equation, the total is just $397! (a new starter last year)

And even though this car is 13 years old, it holds it's own in the MPG department when compared to other high performance cars built today. I am averaging 22-24 MPG in my daily commute and can get over 32 MPG highway if I set the cruise control at the speed limit here. What other cars can do that and still turn the quarter mile in 12.8 seconds? (not many!)

So IMO, Chevrolet really has been making some good cars for a while now.

Originally Posted By: Patman
I bought it with 32k on it and it now has 127k, and has been a very reliable daily driver! The total cost I've spent on repairs over the past 7 years is only $1234!

That's outstanding! I bought my 530i with 30K on the clock as well... the first visit to the mechanic cost me more than $1234, and there have been many of these over the past 5 years. And it ain't as fun to drive as a Corvette either.

I have had pretty good experiences with GM products. I love them because they are cheap to fix, and parts are easy to get, and did I mention cheap?

Remember nothing runs poorer longer than an old GM!
cool.gif

Like Patman, i'll just toss in a not-related good GM story.

I got what I consider great service out of the 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier I had. I bought it with 55k on it, and honestly expected to only get about 2-3 years reliable service out of it.

I ended up keeping it 5+ years and got 100K or driving out of it. Yeah, it did need some annoying repairs/work, BUT it was a LOT less than I thought it would be, and it never left us stranded. For the work I put that little beast through, it was a trooper.

My hat's off to that car - after the disaster that was my dad's 1978 Chev Malibu and my 1985 Buick Skyhawk, GM is redeemed in my eyes.

I've always had good service from our GM cars as well. I don't really care for their current design language, but I wouldn't bet against the vehicle's reliability. Bob Lutz seemed to believe that there's nothing on a car that a stripe of plasti-chrome couldn't fix, and I think that cheapens the look the car.

But man, I've owned a handful GMs in the past ('84 Cutlass, '87 Regal, '97 SC2, '97 SLS, '01 STS), and they were all very good cars. I loved the G-bodies. And those were supposedly built in the "dark ages" (1980s). Bah.

So I guess everytime someone gets a new or new to them VW,Honda, or Nissan I should run in tell them about my HORRIBLE experince with the ones I have had. I wouldn't do that. Not very nice when someone is proud of a new purchase.

Not everyone has had trouble with their GM cars. I would like to see some of your cars survive the beating my Trans Am takes.

Why do some folks feel to need to run into a thread like this and
talk abot a car they had 20 years ago or their cousin's uncle's sister's 18 times removed car.

Now if he asked for an opinion on a car BEFORE he picked it up, I could someone putting out some info about their own experiences.

I don't post in Honda or Nissan threads unless there is a specfic question about the model I owned.

I will post in a TDI thread if someone ask about them.

No need to make someone feel bad about their new cars. He just wanted to show them off. There is a huge difference between joking and just posting because you have an axe to grind.

Cause its the internet, think of it like a bunch of 13 year old's having a conversation, than it makes sense.

Remember-if you can't afford to pay cash for a car, you can't afford the car. [/quote]

I havent heard anything like that in 40+ years when a car was $3000 new and a good used one was <$1000

I can't believe responses from pwople likr the critic. Lives up to the name. This family de ided to buy 3 cars. AMERICAN cars at that. They are helping the US economy, themselves for getting 3 nice cars and they provided jobs for Americans. Why do they have to justify themselves to you. The reason they bought the cars is immaterial and none of anyones business but theirs.

The way this site seems to go, if they bought 3 Hondas or Hyundais people would be positively giddy.

Well they bought American for whatever reason they wanted to. Just congratulate them and wish them well.

Use the cars in the best of health and I hope they bring you many nice drives.

Originally Posted By: synthetic_crazy
And now for the million dollar question ... what oil will be going into these cars after the factory fill? A synthetic I'm sure!

Still though, I think a 2011 Toyota Corolla S would have been the PERFECT car for you Nick; course, I guess I'm a little partial to Corollas. Good luck with the new fleet.

The guy wanted a Cruze, why criticize him for not getting a Toyota? If I won a Toyota I would sell it and buy a Cruze. I wouldnt be caught in a Japanese branded car.

City: ~22
Highway: ~32-34 (@75mph)
Mixed: ~27-28

Pretty good numbers, Nick.

You know, your numbers would be a little better if your foot got a little lighter...
31.gif

True enough. Well, 110 miles later, and I'm in MASS. Took 87-Rt7, to I-90.I set cruise at 70, with A/C on. I managed an impressive 37mpg (confirmed) by the time I pulled in the parking lot at the hotel in Springfield.

I can really help city mileage by shifting manually. If I start in 2nd, and shift ~2100rpm, and shift into 6th at 30, it improves in the city massively. On the highway I also have it in manual, locked in 6th. It can handle mountains perfectly well in that gear, and keeps it from downshifting and killing mileage.\

The name cruze is very appropriate too. You just cruise on the highway. The highway ride is great, and the miles just roll by. The seats are extremely comfortable too, lumbar support is excellent.

Nick did you try try the 1.8 before buying the turbo, just wondering what your impressions of it were, if you did in fact test drive it.

Originally Posted By: hemitom
Nick did you try try the 1.8 before buying the turbo, just wondering what your impressions of it were, if you did in fact test drive it.

Yeah, I'd love to know as well how the NA 1.8, with the same power, compares to a smaller turbo engine.

I didn't drive one, but my dad did and he said that overall acceleration is about the same, but the Turbo engine clearly has more torque, in more places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back