The New Fleet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Nice cars.

Although IMHO you shouldn't have traded the Focus, I remember you complaining about the payments a few months ago. I can't help but think 6 months down the road you might feel your stuck in the same position. The newness tends to ware off long before the payments end.

But whatever enjoy it!

At least with the current model Focus I'd maybe agree, but with the prior generation sub-par Focus I think he will enjoy the Cruze a lot more.

All I can say right now is

Torque, torque everywhere. This engine is just amazing to me. The amount of torque at pretty much all RPMs is astounding, it just pulls, especially at 2-4k rpm.

good for you, Nick! Someone has to stimulate the economy.

Everyone here needs some thicker skins. Like Overkill said, even if I'm HALF serious he doesn't care! We all need to step back and take a breath.

Originally Posted By: Nick R

Torque, torque everywhere. This engine is just amazing to me. The amount of torque at pretty much all RPMs is astounding, it just pulls, especially at 2-4k rpm.

Does the transmission need a downshift to access it all, or is it there immediately? The Eco 6MT I test-drove needed a downshift or keeping it in a higher gear to make the turbo spool to make torque, and was a gutless wonder without the turbo's assistance. Once it got going, it just kept pulling like a much larger engine. I'm guessing the AT in yours is making the turbo spooling much more seamless than the same engine with a MT attached to it. Also having the torque converter doing its bit to make the most of available engine RPM's probably has something to do with it.

IIRC, the turbo starts spooling at 1800 RPM or so, and makes full boost by 2k RPM's.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Thanks to Nick and his family, GM will now be able to pay off the balance of their loan.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: sciphi

Does the transmission need a downshift to access it all, or is it there immediately? The Eco 6MT I test-drove needed a downshift or keeping it in a higher gear to make the turbo spool to make torque, and was a gutless wonder without the turbo's assistance. Once it got going, it just kept pulling like a much larger engine. I'm guessing the AT in yours is making the turbo spooling much more seamless than the same engine with a MT attached to it. Also having the torque converter doing its bit to make the most of available engine RPM's probably has something to do with it.

IIRC, the turbo starts spooling at 1800 RPM or so, and makes full boost by 2k RPM's.

It's not perfect, but accelerating from a stop, you would never believe there is only a 1.4L under the hood. When it upshifts, it just pulls that much better, under light-moderate throttle.

Even in higher gear it does have a good bit of torque, but once it downshifts and the turbo spools it goes like stink. I'd agree that the turbo spools by about 2k or so yeah.

It takes a little getting used to, but once you do, it is probably my favorite engine that I've driven before, and that is saying something because I loved the Engine/tranny in our mustang.

Everyone here needs some thicker skins. Like Overkill said, even if I'm HALF serious he doesn't care! We all need to step back and take a breath.

Precisely. I know Nick can take a joke. And he has confirmed on the previous page what I had thought about his ideas as to where the discussion was going to go when he started the thread in the first place.

Nothing wrong with a little heat in a discussion as long as the banter is kept civil and the OP is OK with it taking place. And of course nobody is making personal attacks.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
I can't believe your family even considered buying vehicles without The Critic stepping in as a Shatner-esque "New Car Negotiator"
lol.gif

Pbbbt. Didn't he say he paid almost sticker for his Prius? LOL.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Let me put it this way, my mom refused to drive it in winter. She wanted something a bit safer in the winter.

...Therefore, there was absolutely nothing practical about the decision--you guys just wanted new cars, there is nothing wrong with that, but don't say it was a "practical" reason because it wasn't.

I think Nick and his family did a good job of analizing numbers. MPG and payoffs aren't the only vairbles in owning a car. Nick said in his very first post the Ford, aside from being a gas pig needed lots of work.

Nick congrats on the new fleet! And thanks for the service.

Critic: I have to respectfully call you out. I don't want you take this as a personal rebuttal. True to your screen name you kept harping Nick numbers etc,etc. If owning vehicles was strictly a numbers game we'd all be driving Prii like you. But it's not.

...esp at full Prii MSRP (okay that was a friendly jab).

Agreed!

Nick congratulations to you and your family. You seem to have a tight family which I think is great. Im just curious if you all had thought about dad just driving the mustang for the 18 months and let mom drive the Expedition? I am just curious? I really like all the cars you guys got and the colors are just what I would get too. Did you test drive a Cruze with a stick? With that much torque it might be a great car for a stick. I want to test drive one myself. Thanks and again congrats. Oh and you could have put the loan in your name on that focus......im just sayin.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: synthetic_crazy
Nick, what mpg numbers are you attaining in the Cruze?

In the 400 miles driven thus far, these seem to be the initial numbers before break in, with A/C on 90% of the time.

City: ~22
Highway: ~32-34 (@75mph)
Mixed: ~27-28

Not bad at all. City mileage is a bit low I think because the transmission is supposed to be learning for the first few thousand. Also, because I'm having a hard time not getting on it to feel the powerrrrrr.

Last edited:
Congrats Nick! Hope you all enjoy, they look good!

Yes I'm a GM guy too! And yes, would have made the same comments if you had gone to another brand.

As far as the other stuff going on....people lightn up! I gotta scrape to make ends meet sometimes, what do I care about Nick and his families financial situation? Would I like to trade my two cars in on two new ones? Yup! Can I? Nope. Does it bother me that they did, not in the least!

How does that mileage compare to the Focus Nick?

Mileage should go up a bit as the car loosens up. You need to put 20k-30k on it to really loosen everything up.

I did a drive on the highway just now, slowing down to 70 (75 is normal up here for us) I managed between 36-37 according to the DIC which is supposed to be fairly accurate on the Cruze, and this is with A/C on. Not too shabby. It is also what it is rated for on the highway.

Last edited:
Not a GM fan I take it?

Well I wasn't say anything further but if you want to stir the pot that's on you... and no I don't like Chevy. They have the potential of being really good vehicles but bean counters must more influence than they should.

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
Not a GM fan I take it?

Well I wasn't say anything further but if you want to stir the pot that's on you... and no I don't like Chevy. They have the potential of being really good vehicles but bean counters must more influence than they should.

Once upon a time, sure.

And ALL manufacturers have that problem, not just GM
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back