The New Fleet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill,

I have posted the two used and one new car we've bought in the time I've been a member.
I buy cars to suit my own taste, as I'm sure Nick's family did.
It is unfortunate that someone comes here excited about their new acqusition, and some members feel that they have to rain on the parade.
We all buy what we want that we can afford to purchase and maintain.
We should refrain from what some of my co-workers would call hating on others' choices.
I think we should also give other members credit for being car savvy enough to know what they're getting in a car, warts and all.

OT I've found this thread an interesting read, and an anecedote in human nature. Without going into detail the responses are somewhat predictable.

Also affirms in my mind, my decision not to put any specifics about my vehicle purchase back in February on the board at that time. As a couple threads recently on this board have proven to me, it was wise decision to be discreet regarding my purchase.

Nick, hope you and your family enjoy your new rides.

Nice ride Nick, I hope the cruze treats you well. Keep us posted on all the details. This might be the rebirth of a new and improved G.M

Last edited:
Congratulations on your cars; the Cruzes (Cruzei?) that I have seen around here look very nice.

I don't doubt that your Mom loves that Equinox. I bought my wife the last generation Torrent GXP loaded with everything and it is a great driving CUV. She never drives her '04 Jaguar since getting the GXP. If I could find another new one on a lot I'd buy one for myself. I'm sure the current generation is even better.

Your new fleet should be very trouble free - of the three new Pontiacs I bought when they went belly up, I have had only two issues: a software update on the G8, and a bad tire pressure monitor also on the G8. GM has really stepped up their game.

Wow...very nice Nick.

My father likes his Terrain very much, the new Nox/Terrain twins seem to be doing very well for GM.

Thanks for supporting the Detroit manufacturers!

Pop_Rivit,

You are an older wise owl trying to give some excellent advice to a younger person that hasn't been in the 'real world' and probably still lives with mommy and daddy.

Quote:
Maybe someday you'll dig yourself out of debt and understand what it means to be free from the burden of car payments and constant debt. Remember-if you can't afford to pay cash for a car, you can't afford the car.

There is no better feeling than to be debt free and have no worries about your finances. You gave some very good advice a few months ago to the guy with the Lexus IS350 Convertible.

I really dig the interior of the Equinox. Comparing it to the newer CRV (which I also like), it seems significantly nicer.

As far as the Cruz...

The 5 door looks like a really nice little car. Small sedans just aren't on my radar screen--to much stuff, too many dogs..

For the life of me I don't understand why they won't sell these here? It looks like an awesome little car. Maybe it's where I live, but I see way more hatchbacks, wagons, small SUV's than I do sedans. With gas prices continuing to escalate, I imaging there are a lot of SUV owners wondering if they can fit their stuff in a Focus 5 door. I think GM is really missing the boat on that one.

I just read all seven pages of this thread, Are there jealous people here or what? Be happy for the kid, he will learn life's lessons in time. If his family wants new modes of transportation all the more power to them. They are paying for them not you. If you want to maintain your older cars thats your business don,t shove it down someone else's throat.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hemitom
If you want to maintain your old junk thats your business don,t shove it down someone else's throat.

But half the stuff he traded in was fairly/very new:

2007 Mustang
2011 Focus

Congrats on your purchases . Can't imagine all the paperwork for those vehicles , bad enough for 2 ( new and trade ) . As for mileage it's likely to get better . Could be the computer learning your driving habits . Our 1st fill of the 2011 HONDA Fit was 28 , now it's up to 38 . Did you pick up all the cars on the same day ? Picture a convoy of used vehicles to the dealer and another of new from . Last , saving $400+ a month on gas can be used towards a car payment , partial house payment , or other to help improve the economy . Don't understand the thinking of those that have $500+ car payments a month and gas fills of equal or greater a month that could be used for other needs .

Last edited:
I can see the point on the focus, he just prolonged his payments (life lesson he will learn on own) mustang not very practical. Maintaining old junk thats a bad choice of words on my part. (edited post) In all honesty a car is the worst investment we all make, so it does pay to maintain and keep for as long as possible. Its just not for everyone. (nothing beats the smell of a new car.)

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Nick congrads on the new rides.
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for the news and members should be HAPPY to post their new rides WITHOUT the bias that has been demonstrated in this thread.

For those members who have to inject their bias in most threads consider this a warning.

How bad is it? MANY members have bought new vehicles but don't want to post their news because of the HASSLE with the narrow minded members here who have to "comment".

It will end. Either by the members choice or other means.

Bill

Bill, you'll probably have to ban half the board judging by how anal some of the deletions/"moderation actions" have been in this thread.

I made a JOKE (Nick and I discussed it in PM) and my post was deleted.

Nick:

As per our PM discussion, I hope to see you in a few months, shoot the *beep* and maybe do some "Cruze"-ing, LOL!
wink.gif

-Chris

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Bill, you'll probably have to ban half the board judging by how anal some of the deletions/"moderation actions" have been in this thread.

Nick:

As per our PM discussion, I hope to see you in a few months, shoot the *beep* and maybe do some "Cruze"-ing, LOL!
wink.gif

-Chris

Don't know about your post but responding to the notify and reading the thread.

It HAS to stop. (and will) You may think it is a joke but it is stopping other members from posting their purchases as witnessed above.

Bill

Ok only positive comments on this discussion board.

If people make dumb decisions we are not allowed to call it out?

There is ALWAYS more than one side to a discussion and as long as its civilized I don't see the problem.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: silverrat

There is ALWAYS more than one side to a discussion and as long as its civilized I don't see the problem.

Reread the thread and see what I'm talking about. We don't need members showing their BRAND BIAS like above. If you want to comment RESPECTFULLY on financing or such I don't see a problem. But making comments because he just bought brand x,y or z is getting way to old and causing members from sharing info on other vehicles that they have bought.

Let's get back to discussing about Nick's new vehicles.

Thanks, Bill

Originally Posted By: silverrat

Reread the thread and see what I'm talking about. We don't need members showing their BRAND BIAS like above. If you want to comment RESPECTFULLY on financing or such I don't see a problem. But making comments because he just bought brand x,y or z is getting way to old and causing members from sharing info on other vehicles that they have bought.

Let's get back to discussing on Nick's new vehicles.

Thanks, Bill

Understood

Nick:

wink.gif

-Chris

It HAS to stop. (and will) You may think it is a joke but it is stopping other members from posting their purchases as witnessed above.

Bill

I don't think the topic of moderation itself is a joke, my point was that I MADE a joke that Nick would understand, and my post was deleted.

Your original comment made it sound like anybody who posts anything negative (like silverrat seemed to think as well) was going to be subject the power of "ultimate moderation", and an appointment with the ban hammer. Which just seems ludicrous.

Nick is a quirky guy and been talking about going back to GM for a while now. This isn't news, if you've been following some of his recent posts and topics.

As I told him in PM, I'm not surprised to see him go back to GM. He just seems to be a "GM guy". Some people are, just like others are Ford guys, Dodge guys.....etc.

While I AM a little surprised they traded their entire fleet of Ford's in on GM cars, and hence my off-the-cuff remark to him about GM (which I'm sure he had no issue with, he and I have gone back and forth enough he knows when I am making a joke, even if I'm half serious.... I know he doesn't care), I don't think that just because somebody makes a brand remark, that they have immediately made the conversation polarized and that the the thread is going to turn into a mess.

While there were so off-colour remarks made (which, given the nature of the thread.... I think are to be expected and I'm sure Nick expected them when he made the thread) I think there were a lot more positive posts and a number of good points made.... Like those about the financial sense of it all, the reasons....etc. And I doubt Nick minds discussing those things.

Now I'm not Nick, so if he doesn't agree with me, then I'm sure he'll say so. But given our past conversation history, I don't think I'm too off-base.

Nice cars.

Although IMHO you shouldn't have traded the Focus, I remember you complaining about the payments a few months ago. I can't help but think 6 months down the road you might feel your stuck in the same position. The newness tends to ware off long before the payments end.

But whatever enjoy it!

Last edited:

Nick:

wink.gif

-Chris

Bill

I don't think the topic of moderation itself is a joke, my point was that I MADE a joke that Nick would understand, and my post was deleted.

Your original comment made it sound like anybody who posts anything negative (like silverrat seemed to think as well) was going to be subject the power of "ultimate moderation", and an appointment with the ban hammer. Which just seems ludicrous.

Nick is a quirky guy and been talking about going back to GM for a while now. This isn't news, if you've been following some of his recent posts and topics.

As I told him in PM, I'm not surprised to see him go back to GM. He just seems to be a "GM guy". Some people are, just like others are Ford guys, Dodge guys.....etc.

While I AM a little surprised they traded their entire fleet of Ford's in on GM cars, and hence my off-the-cuff remark to him about GM (which I'm sure he had no issue with, he and I have gone back and forth enough he knows when I am making a joke, even if I'm half serious.... I know he doesn't care), I don't think that just because somebody makes a brand remark, that they have immediately made the conversation polarized and that the the thread is going to turn into a mess.

While there were so off-colour remarks made (which, given the nature of the thread.... I think are to be expected and I'm sure Nick expected them when he made the thread) I think there were a lot more positive posts and a number of good points made.... Like those about the financial sense of it all, the reasons....etc. And I doubt Nick minds discussing those things.

Now I'm not Nick, so if he doesn't agree with me, then I'm sure he'll say so. But given our past conversation history, I don't think I'm too off-base.

You are correct all round.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back