The New Fleet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I mentioned about a week ago that my parents were talking about trading in all our cars...

Well, after a few days of talks, today we did it. We now have ourselves 3 new cars.

We traded in....

2003 Ford Expedition XLT, 4.6L, 74k mi: Needed new tires, something to do with emissions (CEL on), needed new brakes, new rotors. The front mix doors would change randomly under differen throttle conditions. Rear mix door didn't work. Front 1/2 blower speeds didn't work. Gets horrible mileage.

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 40k: Needed new tires (33" off-road tires), just had issues. Never driven.

2007 Ford Mustang: Nothing wrong with it, except it can only be driven half the year.

2011 Ford Focus: Okay car, never really loved it, but I liked it. Wasn't in my name, but I was making the payments.

So sitting in our driveway are now three beautiful new cars.

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ V6 AWD/ In Cardinal Red Metallic: My mom wanted to go all out. She got a fully loaded Equinox LTZ. I've never seen her more excited about most anything. She wasn't even this excited when she got the mustang. It's a fantastic vehicle, interior is top notch and well designed, engine is strong, smooth transmission. Extremely quiet ride, smooth and composed on the highway. It also has the NAV and Rear seat entertainment, with built in harddrive.

2011 Chevrolet Cruze 1LT/ in Black Granite Metallic: This one is mine. It's the 1.4T and automatic of course. It's the mid level version. Manual 8 way driver seat, but it has the Cruise/Connectivity package, so it has Cruise Control, Bluetooth, and USB to hook my ipod up to it. The interior is black cloth. The whole thing just exudes a feel of quality, interior materials are solid and good feeling. Highway ride is firm yet smooth and composed. Transmission will take some getting used to. No RS package. Went with the LT because it has a 3 gallon bigger tank than the eco. I love the styling. I popped the hood, and man this engine is tiny, the engine bay is practically empty. I'll post pics tomorrow when I can actually take them (was too dark when we got back). It's financed in my name so by making the payments I'm actually helping my credit, instead of my moms. Well, she cosigned for me so it will help both of ours. I'll be going into the Military, whether active duty or reserves is yet to be decided, so I'll be commuting a LOT, cross country.

2011 Chevrolet Cruze 1LT/ in Crystal Red Metallic Tintcoat

This is my dads. He was driving the Expedition 90% of the time, 40 miles a day. He got the red with black interior, but with power driver seats. His sentiments echo mine, the transmission will take some getting used to. It's not bad, just different. In december, he will be transferring back to sea duty in either Maine or Connecticut, and we will be staying here in NY, as he only has 18 months left and they want to keep my brother and sister in the same school district till they graduate. So he will be commuting a couple hundred miles every weekend, so he needed something that got good gas mileage, so he got one of these as well.

The guy at the dealership was excellent, he was fairly new, and my parents and I agree he was the best we have ever dealt with, at Northstar Chevrolet in Clifton Park, NY. They were so eager to sell us the cars that they took a huge hit on the trade in's, especially on my Focus. They only wanted to give me $13,500 for it, KBB is $16,750. We needed $16,500 to break even on the loan. We flat out told them, we need to break even on the Focus, or there is no deal. They took the hit, we were very impressed. They worked with us, and the manager handled the trade in stuff,he was very upfront and honest, and we appreciated that.

So far we are all extremely pleased with our purchases. My payment will stay about the same as the Focus, but honestly this is in such a different league in terms of materials quality, fit and finish, and overall design. The Equinox is a gorgeous car, and mom is in love with it. Again, the woman who would never buy anything but a Ford before lol. The dealer we bought them from also gives you free tires for life (OE Tires, which are the Firestone FR710 on the Cruze, Hankook Optimo on the Nox) which thus far aren't bad, but it's too soon to tell for sure as long as we get all our maintenance done at the dealer. They also gave us tons of coupons for said service. Overall the dealership experience was as good as I can possibly imagine, and my parents confirmed the best they've ever had.

My grandmother also came into town tonight from Ohio (the one who bought the malibu) so our neighbors are probably going to be confused, as we had 3 Fords, and a Jeep in our driveway this morning.... (Well, 2, as I drove back from Vermont this morning) and tomorrow morning there are going to be 4 shiny new Chevys.

So, Pics to come tomorrow, and we all think the flip key/key fob are really cool.

ADDENDUM Also, both mine and my dad's got Engines and Transmissions from the US plants, not the Austria/Mexico plants. I have Window stickers, will post tomorrow as well.

Last edited:
Well congrats on all the new cars! Seriously though, I havent heard of a family buy so many cars in 1 day before, there is a whole lotta new car smell in your driveway tonight

I was about to say, how much of a discount the dealer gave you for buying three vehicles? but I see they took a hit on the trade in of your focus. congrats

Well, I'm paying for my cruze, and we got such a good trade in on the other 3 cars that the loan on my dad's car is so small they are going to pay it off ASAP, and that will leave just the Equinox for them to worry about, and the payment on that is less than the Expedition was when it was new.

Your neighbors are going to think you moved out and someone else moved in.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Your neighbors are going to think you moved out and someone else moved in.

I know I was thinking the same thing lol.

Luckily, we got financing through our Credit Union, which is a lower interest rate than it would be through anyone else.

Last edited:
Darn! You just went all-in on the new cars. Enjoy the new-car smell!

I'll be listening closely to what you have to say about the Cruze, as I'm darn sure that's my next car after having test-driven a few of them.

Congrats man, but the timing of a new car purchase seems odd prior to a military commitment. Also, I probably would've put school before buying a new car, but to each their own.

Nonetheless, congrats.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Congrats man, but the timing of a new car purchase seems odd prior to a military commitment. Also, I probably would've put school before buying a new car, but to each their own.

Nonetheless, congrats.

Don't even get me started. There is a whole up there that my school did, that I don't even want to talk about. Needless to say, that is a huge part of the reason that the Military is in the cards right now.

Trading in one 2011 car for another? Some things leave me shaking my head.

I guess you made some car salesperson's day. To top it off you were thrilled about the Focus when you bought it, then you lamented about making payments on it and wanted to trade it for an old police car, now you've stretched yourself out on another loan on another brand new car? You're what-still in high school?

Perhaps the older Ford I understand, but a 4 year old car and a brand new one traded in just to have something newer? And to top it off you're making payments on at least one (my guess is all three)?

With all due respect, that sound like a financially irresponsible move. I'm glad my parents instilled a different set of financial values in me when I was your age.

Maybe someday you'll dig yourself out of debt and understand what it means to be free from the burden of car payments and constant debt. Remember-if you can't afford to pay cash for a car, you can't afford the car.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Trading in one 2011 car for another? Some things leave me shaking my head.

I guess you made some car salesperson's day. To top it off you were thrilled about the Focus when you bought it, then you lamented about making payments on it and wanted to trade it for an old police car, now you've stretched yourself out on another loan on another brand new car? You're what-still in high school?

Perhaps the older Ford I understand, but a 4 year old car and a brand new one traded in just to have something newer? And to top it off you're making payments on at least one (my guess is all three)?

With all due respect, that sound like a financially irresponsible move. I'm glad my parents instilled a different set of financial values in me when I was your age.

Maybe someday you'll dig yourself out of debt and understand what it means to be free from the burden of car payments and constant debt. Remember-if you can't afford to pay cash for a car, you can't afford the car.

I'm sorry, but apparently you didn't read my post.

I'm making payments on ONE car. The payment is the same as my Focus, or close to it. This time however, I'm making payments, but it's actually helping MY credit, not my parents. Like i said, the mustang was not being driven in the winter, and the Jeep was hardly driven at all. And my parents needed more fuel efficient cars. We figured it since we were doing 3 for 2, we might as well go 4 for 3, get the car in my name so I can start building credit history.

The whole reason for trading the Mustang/Jeep/Expedition is to get new, PRACTICAL cars, that get good gas mileage, and can be driven year round, and be reliable. Hence my mom's equinox, and my dad's Cruze.

Like I said, we also told the dealer to make the loan on the focus go away, or no deal. So focus loan is null, it has absolutely no effect on anything we have now.

The expedition needed new tires and a whole host of other stuff, and the Jeep too. It made sense this way.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick R
and we all think the flip key/key fob are really cool.

Welcome to VW circa 1999. Chevy is just now getting on the bandwagon?
smile.gif

Just kidding. Congrats on the new rides! That's one heck of a switcharoo.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
and we all think the flip key/key fob are really cool.

Welcome to VW circa 1999. Chevy is just now getting on the bandwagon?
smile.gif

ROFL! I was thinking the same thing...

Congrats on the new wheels, Nick.

Interesting move with the cars, I guess with the far better fleet mileage, and no maintenance bills for quite a while, its not as expensive as it initially seems.
Hopefully they all work well for you, it will be interesting to hear how they all do over time.

The whole reason for trading the Mustang/Jeep/Expedition is to get new, PRACTICAL cars, that get good gas mileage, and can be driven year round, and be reliable. Hence my mom's equinox, and my dad's Cruze.

People drive Mustangs all year. Just get some snow tires. Fixing all of the issues with your old cars would have made them reliable, you just chose not to.

The expedition needed new tires and a whole host of other stuff, and the Jeep too. It made sense this way.

New tires and fixing the issues wouldn't have cost you more than a few grand. The cost of those new cars was certainly more than that. And fuel? Fuel is cheap...and you'll realize that once you had done those calculations.

Sorry, not to be a jerk, but the arguments you are making to justify the purchases are silly. There's nothing wrong with buying new cars, but don't use bogus reasons to defend your decision-- just be honest and state that you wanted new cars.
blush.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The payment is the same as my Focus, or close to it.

And is it the same NUMBER of payments remaining?

+1
sick.gif

Last edited:
The payment is the same as my Focus, or close to it.

And is it the same NUMBER of payments remaining?

Some decent cars. Good choices.
Still find it funny though to bring up new tires as a reason for trade in. I've always just put new tires on my cars when I need to, but I understand getting rid of an Expedition for fuel economy reasons. It is an unnecessary pig of a vehicle.

A truly strange thing indeed for neighbors to see. All Fords to all Chevs overnight. People will do a double take for sure
smile.gif

Been there, done that when the wifey's old car died one day. With the work the old car needed to even turn over much less be safe, it was time to cut our losses on it and get her a new car. She maintains (well, tells me what to look at) this one far better than the previous car that died.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back