The Mother of All Computer Viruses

Status
Not open for further replies.
27.gif

I hope Norton is good!
smile.gif

I like Microsofts estimate that it took atleast 10,000 man days to program... They forgot to add that it would've have taken up 43 terrabyets if they had made it...

Couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch of guys!!
01.gif
11.gif

Kudos to the designers!!!

Reminds me of Bletchley Park, Enigma machines, and Ultra decryptions of German ciphers!

Last edited:
Not sure if this really is the truth of the story, but if it is, then it is not build in one day and a lot of its components are build into the design of all of the modules.

For example, the Siemens' controller attack most likely is the work of Siemen as a self destruct safety switch in case these components went into the wrong hand. I wouldn't be surprised that only the end users in friendly states get the good code and the off the shelf parts come with the bugs. This also goes with the parts in the network equipments, computers, security systems, etc.

Makes you wonder what would happen if someone else have this same capability to do this to us.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
That's what they get for running Windows!!

This could happen even if they run Mac or Linux. As long as they uses USB drive and engineering work from a hostile state you can contaminate it.

I just read this and was gonna post it too. Fearful, of course, that the mods would not allow it. I had similar thoughts - first - thanks Germans for helping Iran, to hey maybe it was built in.......suck thing is that they found it and the North Korean virus won't manifest itself soon enough.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
That's what they get for running Windows!!

This could happen even if they run Mac or Linux. As long as they uses USB drive and engineering work from a hostile state you can contaminate it.
Yeah, I know, that was a joke! Amazing what "they" are capable of doing-it's a new frontier in warfare for sure!

I remember contracting a company who did not want their data removed via USB drives. So put superglue into the usb port. Pretty effective....

Many people consider this worm or whatever you want to call it the most advanced malware ever developed. It probably delayed the development of Iranian nuclear weapons by a few years and perhaps is still having an effect in Iran.

The good thing is that this software helped slow down the development of nuclear weapons that probably would be used for evil. The bad thing is that it may be possible for cypercriminal organizations and cyperterrorism organizations to use this technology to develop much more effective and dangerous malware. It was a while before anybody could even detect this software.

And while nuclear weapon development may have been delayed in one country, nuclear weapons probably still will be developed in Iran and North Korea. So in the end dangerous days have just been delayed by a few years.

And some interesting points were brought up by others here. What if some countries are willing to sell expensive equipment that might be used in nuclear weapon development to some countries such as Iran, but then deliberately sell equipment that can be sabotaged or defeated. They can still make a lot of money but they make sure the stuff they sell can be defeated. After all, the T-72 tanks sold to Iraq were inferior to T-72 tanks the Russians did not sell. Just a thought.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
And some interesting points were brought up by others here. What if some countries are willing to sell expensive equipment that might be used in nuclear weapon development to some countries such as Iran, but then deliberately sell equipment that can be sabotaged or defeated. They can still make a lot of money but they make sure the stuff they sell can be defeated. After all, the T-72 tanks sold to Iraq were inferior to T-72 tanks the Russians did not sell. Just a thought.

As a BUSINESS, you are going to lose your reputation and customers very very quickly. I'd imagine the seller has a reputation to keep as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back