The long term cost of using conventional motor oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to see you here Steve
smile.gif
How's the Probe going ?

Don't tell the guys n gals back on Probetalk Losiho, but I had to sell it. The Probe is a really fantastic driver's point to point car, but it sure ain't a family car when your son is gowing too tall for the back seat. Got a H#### CR-V now for my daily drive and have only one complaint - the roofrack is a long way up to put the surfboard on.

quote:

Originally posted by SteveS:
What a load of B.S. Jelly.

The performance of an engine oil, PCMO or HDEO, comes mainly from its additive package. Of course a mineral oil "might" oxidise more than a synthetic, "might" produce incrementally more sludges or varnishes, but if the additive package is strong enough, especially in dispersant, then those effects will be controlled and the engine will stay clean.

Look Steve...if you've had good results with mineral based PCMO's, then hats off to 'ya.

Like I said though, I know what I've seen with my own two eyes, and I've never (not even once) seen a high mileage gas engine, that spent it's life on mineral PCMO's, be anything close to what I'd consider clean in comparison to other engines that have been ran on HDEO's and synthetic PCMO's.

Frankly, I'm not concerned with oils of old. They've came a long way in the past five years, let alone the last 30+.

I do agree with you that the performance comes from the additive package...mineral based PCMO's and HDEO's use the same basic base oil, but the additive package of the HDEO makes it a completely different animal.

YES...a mineral oil will oxidize more than a synthetic.

YES...a mineral will produce more varnish.

Your last paragraph makes my point. At least in regards to mineral PCMO's commonly used in the U.S.A. (5w-30, 10w-30, 10w-40), the additive package is simply, IHMO, NOT strong enough to keep the engine clean.

FROM DAVONF:
Rainman,

At what stage did you start using the syn 15W-50? Any leakage problems?

Dave.
Didn't particularly have a method to my madness. Didn't have BITOG back then. When I expected especially hot weather or was planning to haul my 21-foot bay boat around a good bit, I'd put either one or two quarts of synthetic (usually M1 15-50 but sometimes Syntec 5-50) in the six-quart sump. Seemed to work well, so I've been doing that for probably the last seven or eight years.
Didn't use any synthetic during the ARX cleaning and rinse phases, but I'm back to my mixture again. With a truck as old as White Lightning there is some gasket and seal leakage, but I really couldn't say the synthetic changed the amount. Ol' WL uses (seeps) about 1 quart about every 2,500 miles.
After the ARX treatments, it's running like a champ. I especially like pegging the speedometer going across the Bayway.
Don't know if that helped, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Rainman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back