The END of German Castrol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it seems the days of German Castrol may be numbered or indeed, history.

There are a couple reviews at Amazon of people who ordered Castrol 0w-30 in past week, and it was made in Belgium! I am somewhat disappointed that I never had the chance to use it. Nevertheless, I am sure the new Belgian product is of high if not higher quality just like the 0w-40 Belgian product.

Hopefully we will see a VOA or UOA eventually.

Last edited:
Why does Castrol US even continue on with both grades? Doesn't the new(er) 0w-40 now meet all the specs that the 0w-30 meets and more?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Why does Castrol US even continue on with both grades? Doesn't the new(er) 0w-40 now meet all the specs that the 0w-30 meets and more?

Based on a this PDS dated Nov 1, 2013, the HTHS of 0w-40 is >3.5 and the 0w-30 is >2.9 but they both meet LL-01? BMW requires >3.5 based on the A3/B4 spec.

Also the 0w-30 doesn't meet API SN? Are these just the [censored] pds' we've come to expect from Castrol?

Castrol Edge

Originally Posted By: LotI

Based on a this PDS dated Nov 1, 2013, the HTHS of 0w-40 is >3.5 and the 0w-30 is >2.9 but they both meet LL-01? BMW requires >3.5 based on the A3/B4 spec.

Also the 0w-30 doesn't meet API SN? Are these just the [censored] pds' we've come to expect from Castrol?

Castrol Edge

The 0w30 has to be >3.5 since it meets ACEA A3/B4. Castrol is notorious for only publishing the minimums.

Because some people only need a 30 weight, while others need a 40 weight.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

But until we know the true HTHS, both oils are both simply ">3.5".

Originally Posted By: dparm

Castrol Edge

The 0w30 has to be >3.5 since it meets ACEA A3/B4. Castrol is notorious for only publishing the minimums.
That 2.9 a blatant mistake, I saw that incorrect PDS. BP referenced the ILSAC GF HTHS spec on a A3/b4 which is a big boo boo.

Funny you guys mention it...

The 0w30 GC is one of the oils that AutoZone has on clearance (not all stores) for $3 a qt. I just bought a healthy supply. I wonder if this has anything to do with the 0w40 taking its place on the shelves. (Autozone's line on the clearance is, 'just moving slow sellers.')

Originally Posted By: wemay

The 0w30 GC is one of the oils that AutoZone has on clearance (not all stores) for $3 a qt. I just bought a healthy supply. I wonder if this has anything to do with the 0w40 taking its place on the shelves. (Autozone's line on the clearance is, 'just moving slow sellers.')

I speculated recently that the 0w30 is going to be dropped and the 0w40 will just replace it.

What are these "weights" you speak of. What are done with these weights? Are they for traction or something?

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: wemay

I speculated recently that the 0w30 is going to be dropped and the 0w40 will just replace it.

Very likely. Considering its an older formulation and almost legacy type in how long it's been on the shelves it could be the old horse is getting put out to pasture

To use my new knowledge hat I've learned from the 20 crowd...

GC was offically a 30, but in reality a heavy, nearly a 40, while the 0W-40, while being a 40, is on the light end, closer to a 30.

If the 40 shears only a little bit, it's in reality a 30 for most of the OCI.

So to all intents and purposes, they are the same.

Did I get that right ?

edit, I left out "overly" and "unnecessarily" prior to "heavy"

Last edited:

I'm willimg to bet "my left one" that the HTHSV of the BMW 5W-30 with a KV100 of only 11.7cSt (see VOA below) is less than 3.5cP.
Being an OEM oil it's not like the ACEA are going to call them on it.
My guess would be 3.35cP but since I'm betting "my left one" I'm going to hedge my bet and say 3.4cP.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3221048/Re:_BMW_High_Performance_Syn_5#Post3221048

And yes I do prefer the BMW 5W-30 to GC, not just because it is likely lighter but also because it is "better" additized with moly and Boron that GC isn't formulated with.

It wouldn't surprise me if Castrol made this change. Many cars on the road no longer are designed for API SL oils, so continuing to mass produce them may not make sense.

The BC is SN rated, so it would be considered acceptable in such newer cars. That is one of the reasons it is in my car right now.

They are not discontinuing 0w-30. It's the end of "German Castrol," because the 0w-30 is now coming from Belgium just like 0w40. They are going to continue both for now, but "German Castrol," seems to be history.

Originally Posted By: Ayrton
They are not discontinuing 0w-30. It's the end of "German Castrol," because the 0w-30 is now coming from Belgium just like 0w40. They are going to continue both for now, but "German Castrol," seems to be history.

So this means that the formula and specifications are the same, but the oil is simply produced at a different location?

Originally Posted By: Ayrton

German Castrol stopped being German Castrol long ago. It hasn't been the "magical formula" for a very long time. I don't know why people here are still so obsessed with it. Very mediocre oil on paper and in operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back