THE dumbest PCV Valve Location - Corolla!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Lima engine Ranger had it in a pretty tricky spot. It was under the intake manifold on some kind of oil separator. I was able to fish it out with no tools and no disassembly of other parts though.

Must have had the same engineer that put the PCV on the Duratech 4cyl engines that Ford and Mazda used. The same dude must have put the flame trap on my S60R under the intake.

Most Hondas have a stupid PCV location. For example, most Integras have it in a separate box thing behind the block under the fuel rail in between a couple injectors. And instead of a simple grommet, there's this hose that's impossible to replace, but you need to replace it because it's a 20yo piece of rubber that froze to the old PCV valve!

Originally Posted By: SumpChump

VIDEO of Toyota Pcv Replace 2AR engine

Just a slight correction. That's the location of the 2ZR-FE, not the 2AR-FE as stated in the link. A and Z are next to each other on the keyboard, could have been just a typo, but Toyota actually does have a 2AR series engine.

The earlier Honda Fits needed to have the Intake removed as well, but it wasn't as involved as what you posted.

2009+ I believe you only remove a wire harness clip out of the way and use a 17mm deep socket with a flex head or U-Joint to remove it from just below the Intake.

So it is a big improvement.

Why would you have to change it, unless it fails. I haven't changed one in a decade.

Some people on here are to OCD with these things.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Most Hondas have a stupid PCV location. For example, most Integras have it in a separate box thing behind the block under the fuel rail in between a couple injectors. And instead of a simple grommet, there's this hose that's impossible to replace, but you need to replace it because it's a 20yo piece of rubber that froze to the old PCV valve!

The PCV valve on my 2006 Accord is metal and screws right into the block, took about 5 minutes.

Have yet to change one.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Just an FYI the pcv valve on the 09-13 corolla is UNDER the intake manifold. Now, I'm sure that a BMW is more difficult but man this is crazy. one even has to drain the coolant, according to the factory steps.

How often do you change yours on a modern car?

VIDEO of Toyota Pcv Replace 2AR engine

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Why would you have to change it, unless it fails. I haven't changed one in a decade.

Some people on here are to OCD with these things.

Agreed, they need to be spending more time figuring out how to replace a headlight BULB without removing the front bumper/actual said headlamp.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn

Sometimes it's hard to get it out of the rubber grommet in the intake manifold, but I find that if you warm the car up first it pulls out easier. I have yet to replace the rubber hose as mine is still pliable with no tears. I admit it does make it easier if you use a pair of pliers instead of your hands.
smile.gif

....its the same on my Camry
....Same on Tauruses
....My Villager its on the rear rocker cover, so more work

This began being commonplace when you had to pull the plenum to do rear plugs, I don't understand the outrage?

In 25 years of playing around with cars, I think I've replaced 2, and they were in customers cars. One was an aftermarket metal one, installed when the car had been fitted with an LPG conversion a couple of years earlier. As LPG vehicles tend to do, this one had a backfire, and the PCV valve blew apart, sending a metal fragment into the timing chain, and then being spat out via a freshly made hole through the timing cover... If it had just been the original plastic type PCV, it would've simply been chewed up by the chain and caused no further damage.

But, until I started visiting BITOG, I'd never heard of people replacing them as a maintenance item.

Ah another reason to love the 5VZ-FE in my 4Runner. You literally just remove the hose and pull it straight out of it's grommet in the upper right hand corner of the left bank of cylinders.

Piece of cake unless you let the grommet get dry and hard.

Just replaced the PCV for the 2000 Accord 4 cylinder, 5 mins job. Most difficult part was unclamping the rubber hose. The old one was probably good anyway, it still rattles. But new part was only 4 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back