Accord PCV valve replacement / detail [PICS]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been wanting to have my PCV valve replaced in the Accord for a while now. I was planning on having it done at the dealer when it hit 130K miles and have some other P/M services performed as well. After reading up on it, and watching some videos on you tube I decided I would do it myself. I had planned on getting an OEM valve from the dealer but I called ahead (thankfully) and they didnt stock it, neither did the next closest dealer (in another state, over an hour away). So I decided to wait, long story short I did some more reading up and decided to just go with the Napa PCV valve for my Accord. Bought the necessary tools for the job at AAP. Removed the old PCV valve before buying the new one to see if it was even that bad, the ball inside did not move around freely, it sounded as if it was a little sludgy in there, the spring also looked catywompus. So down to Napa I went, retail price was around $22 for a new PCV valve, but the guy said that was a little steep so he knocked a couple bucks off making it around $17. Got home, started to remove the old valve and it slipped and fell down into the engine bay!! I still haven't found it, could this cause any damage? The washer is down in the engine bay as well. After that fiasco I installed the new PCV valve and new crush washer and started it up and took a little drive, its driving fine, engine feels smooth as always, maybe even a little more smooth. But now there is a little buzzing sound that I have never heard before, its coming from around where the accesories are (PS pump, alternator etc, but the PCV valve is in that area as well) Is it normal for the aftermarket valves to have a buzzing sound? Anyone experience this? After that was all said and done, I vacuumed out the car on the way home, then proceeded to wash / spray wax / detail interior. Here are all the pics...

Old PCV valve, assuming its the factory valve
CAM004461_zps0f1c6568.jpg

New PCV valve, Napa Echlin brand. The ball in the new valve was nice and rattly. I read this is the way they are supposed to be, every thing seemed to be loose inside however, not sure if thats normal
CAM004451_zps88fbab8b.jpg

New PCV valve installed
CAM004551_zpsf587c384.jpg

The PCV valve is located above the alternator to the right, the old valve fell behind the alternator, any chance of damaging something?
CAM004591_zps0eb13f76.jpg

Cleaned the engine bay after the PCV valve replacement, main reason was because I opened the oil cap to feel if there was any blow by and it splattered drops of oil over the engine cover.
CAM004541_zpse408fc44.jpg

CAM004531_zps4c8cea19.jpg

Washed as usual with meguiars ultimate wash/wax, then sprayed with meguiars ultimate spray wax. Waxed the headlights with Meguiars gold class paste wax.
CAM004491_zpsadac53c5.jpg

Decided to forgo the usual tire dressing, and I actually kind of like the cleaner look. Main reason I didnt treat the tires was because its going to be raining for the next few days, which would wash off the dressing and give the tires a white tint.
CAM004521_zps11d8f6a5.jpg

Then detailed the interior with Meguiars Natural Shine
CAM004481_zpsed2dbc51.jpg

Originally Posted By: gregk24
The PCV valve is located above the alternator to the right, the old valve fell behind the alternator, any chance of damaging something?

Get yourself an Ullman telescopic magnet. They have them at Sears branded as Craftsman.

ullman001%20022.jpg

If your old PCV valve was free moving then it was in perfect working condition, you can always clean it with brake parts cleaner if you have doubt and let it rdy and put it back in, no reason to change a perfectly working PCV valve

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The noise you hear could be the old part making noises.

Very doubtful, wish I could share the noise with you. It wont pick up in the video, it would be drowned out by other engine noise.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
If your old PCV valve was free moving then it was in perfect working condition, you can always clean it with brake parts cleaner if you have doubt and let it rdy and put it back in, no reason to change a perfectly working PCV valve

Well its changed now so its over and done with. No big deal, plus if you read all the way through my post I do say that the spring inside was messed up. Not sure how the mechanism works together but the spring was bent sideways a little bit. Basically it was bent out of shape.

You new valve looks like it is of good quality. My replacement PCV valve purchased from NAPA for my Honda was plastic one, so I ended up reusing the old one after cleaning it with brake cleaner.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
You new valve looks like it is of good quality. My replacement PCV valve purchased from NAPA for my Honda was plastic one, so I ended up reusing the old one after cleaning it with brake cleaner.

Thats strange, and the original was metal? I thought all the V6 Hondas had a plastic one from the factory.

Always a good idea to replace the PCV valve since you can't see inside and determine its viability just by listening...$17 per 100k miles is another cheap maintenance when overlooked (as it is by many) can lead to serious problems....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back