The Decline Of Rock Auto

AAP needs it because they are a joke. I can buy oil and other items much cheaper at my local drug store.
Their prices aren't much different than Autozone, O'Reilly, etc from what I've seen. Good thing is, AAP offers pretty decent discounts with online coupon codes.

I haven’t had to return at RockAuto item in over 10 years, so I can’t speak for their current return policy behavior, but I still get a better value from them 9 times out of 10. I do compare prices with the local auto parts chain stores. I’m also very diligent about limiting the amount of warehouses my items ship from, which is why my ‘85 GMC has NGK spark plugs and not ACs, etc. Closeouts can really be helpful. I scored 50+ Fram Ultra Pro oil filters for a small block Chevy for $1.04 apiece and less than $20 shipping.

This has been gone over, believe it or not.
I've been happy with their service (one smooth return experience), prices inclusive of shipping, speed of shipment and website layout.

Once Bosch included incorrect O-rings with 2 oil filters which I didn't inspect until months later when I went to use them.
RA affirmed that the time limit for returns had expired. Bosch wouldn't even provide correct O-rings.

Not getting magnets with my strut order, those mistaken Bosch O-rings and a grossly mistaken serpentine belt kit (smooth experience mentioned above) have been my only RA wrinkles.

On a separate note: Where would you sell your stack of RA Collector magnets? I hear the market is heating up.

Last edited:
My last two purchases were less than stellar. A control arm that had been previously installed and then resealed to resemble new, and an oil filter that was dented due to poor packing/shipping techniques. Still ended up using them but not optimal.

No issues here, but I usually just buy maintenance items (oil/air/cabin filters) in bulk once every few years. So I don't really use them that often. I have bought a few parts here and there when my mechanic was having trouble getting things from his normal sources and have never had an issue with anything from there.

Since you asked, nope hadn't noticed. Last two orders shipped in a timely manner and well packed both times. Last one I ordered some oil filters that have become my go to, added an air filter and shipping cost didn't increase. Shipped FedEx ground, received quicker than expected. In short, no complaints, no issues.

When I need something for one of my vehicles, I start at RA to get part numbers, then do online pricing. The RA price is almost always cheapest but the shipping tips the scale toward Amazon, eBay, Advance, etc. Sometimes RA comes out on top, but not often.

That's the same thing I do. On my last order, RA was still about $100 cheaper than anywhere else even with two different shipping charges. Shipping speed lately for Rockauto has been far quicker than almost any other vendor in my area. .

Shipped FedEx ground, received quicker than expected.
One positive aspect of Fedex Ground (for recipients) is they deliver 7 days a week in some areas (mine, for example). I've had ETAs for something like a Tuesday and it shows up on Saturday or Sunday.

I recently ordered a set of spider gears for my ram 1500. They came well packed and quickly. Never really had trouble. Once I got a radiator for a Honda CRV and got the wrong one by one year. I sent it back and got credit and they shipped the correct one.

Now I feel I should list my bad RA experiences
1) The open, mish-mash of serpentine hardware mentioned: resolved happily
2) The Bosch O-ring incident: OK, I should inspect each component of each part I buy even if it's for my personal stash. Got it.
3) 2 dented oil filters came with a strip of paper saying, "We know these filters are dented. There is no return on them". That rankled a bit.
4) RA sent hood assist cylinders for an Acura RT instead of an RL. I modified them.

I buy large, core return items locally. If it's valuable enough to be returned and rebuild, it'll cost enough to warrant having a local representative who should get paid.

Had some customer service issues with them about 2 years ago and when I complained they blew me off with some Bullcrap. Never ordered from them again.

A year ago I ordered tons of parts from them as part of my suspension rehab on my 2008 Pathfinder (rust from upper midwest on components)

I love they they offer kits like "front end kit" which includes almost everything, ships together and saves major money.
Also ordered wheels bearings rear shocks, rear springs , front struts/spring assemblies.

Among those dozens of parts and components all shipped in timely fashion got only one my installer didnt like.
he said the Moog springs looked used to him as one of them had some paint peeling off already.

I think that was just due to the decline of Moog using cheap paint.
I fluid filmed that spot of missing paint an it went on the truck.
been working fine.
Saved serious money via Rockauto and car drives like a brand new SUV.

I love they they offer kits like "front end kit" which includes almost everything, ships together and saves major money.
I'm willing to bet this comes from the fact that their suppliers (the auto parts store's warehouses/distribution centers) market these "kits" to local repair shops.

My issue with RA has always been shipping. If parts ship from two warehouses, you pay two shipping charges.

I look on RA, then see if I can get the same part from Amazon with free Prime shipping. Especially for heavy items like a brake rotor.

Back