The dealer auctions are shocking the hell out of me.

The current situation will make it a lot easier to move flood cars from New York and Louisiana, perhaps tempering the prices.
Many of these cars will not be resold. Others will be sold as branded or salvage, while others still will be sold as "normal" used cars to unsuspecting buyers. Hard to know what the mix will be......

Most dealers aren’t buying used at auctions or they weren’t. The cars at auction were selling way too high because Henry’s cousin was there with him bidding up that car he was buying for himself, under Henry’s license.

Toyota Tacomas have always had a really odd extremely high resale value. Now with Chevy only offering a manual transmission on the rear wheel drive Colorado if they still do, Nissan dropped the manual from the Frontier redesign, and neither the Ford Ranger, nor the new maverick have a manual transmission.

I'm seriously considering driving to the local Carvana and seeing what they would offer me for my Volt. 160k miles, needs a passenger fender and some reconditioning. Let's say $500 worth at volume prices, total. It has a clean title. I owe ~$2,500 on it. Paid $8,500 for it 3 years ago with 124k on it. It came from Iowa, so no salty roads, and I keep it garaged in the winter here in MN so it's in much better shape than most in this region, even with the mileage.

Browsing autotempest.com, similar units are going for $6-8k retail. That makes me believe that any savvy dealer would be happy to pay $3-4k for my car. I would take that deal in a New York minute. If I threw a used fender on it, I bet I could add $5-700 to those figures. Absolutely nuts.

I'm seriously considering driving to the local Carvana and seeing what they would offer me for my Volt. 160k miles, needs a passenger fender and some reconditioning. Let's say $500 worth at volume prices, total. It has a clean title. I owe ~$2,500 on it. Paid $8,500 for it 3 years ago with 124k on it. It came from Iowa, so no salty roads, and I keep it garaged in the winter here in MN so it's in much better shape than most in this region, even with the mileage.

Browsing autotempest.com, similar units are going for $6-8k retail. That makes me believe that any savvy dealer would be happy to pay $3-4k for my car. I would take that deal in a New York minute. If I threw a used fender on it, I bet I could add $5-700 to those figures. Absolutely nuts.
No salty roads in Iowa? Iowa uses over 200,000 tons of rock salt per year on their roads. I am not saying your car hasn't seen salt I am just stating Iowa, Minnesota, and South Dakota use tons of rock salt every winter. I do understand you keep it garaged in the winter. You could probably get great money for your Volt cheers! :)

This is bananas. I'd be very tempted to sell a few, but the life lessons I've learned include keeping a known good quantity/quality item even if selling is tempting. Hard and time consuming to replace a known good working reliable vehicle. The other problem is inflation. You might get $5000 today, but if you need a vehicle, you're also paying a premium and the money you receive is quickly depreciating...

I'll keep mine, but it's nutty to see used cars going for more than they were a few years ago!
I was offered 30K bucks for my 2016 Tahoe LT [luxury package] with 110K miles. I am the original owner. Tempting but all service is up to date and I will have to lay out another 30K plus bucks to find another one like the one I have now. My Tahoe has been serviced every 5K miles with Mobil 1. It is a hit and miss buying any vehicle and I know people who bought 2021 vehicles recently who have nothing but trouble with them. Decided to keep mine. Plus it is paid for.

It seems like the new favorite BITOG pastime is using the "online vehicle buying services" to find out what your vehicle is worth-and doing absolutely nothing/taking no action with the information.......

It seems like the new favorite BITOG pastime is using the "online vehicle buying services" to find out what your vehicle is worth-and doing absolutely nothing/taking no action with the information.......
"Aye could seller but im not gonna!"

Reactions: CKN
Most dealers aren’t buying used at auctions or they weren’t. The cars at auction were selling way too high because Henry’s cousin was there with him bidding up that car he was buying for himself, under Henry’s license.

we are exporting record numbers of used cars via auction overseas

never underestimate the effects this has on the market

A lot depends on where you are. A 170K Volt in a Cali dealer sale sold for $6,400 yesterday.

I’ve been told I should get $4500 for my “fair” 83,000 mile
2001 Dodge Ram Club Cab v8 1500 2wd

Responses so for are under $1000
Just because a wheeler dealer can get it doesn’t mean John Q can

The current situation will make it a lot easier to move flood cars from New York and Louisiana, perhaps tempering the prices.

Hopefully instead of sending decent cars overseas we quit and just send the flood cars there.

Though if you could get the rust free antique Louisiana cars before they set a month, wash then replace the drivetrain/interior you might have a better looking car than most 5 year old Wisconsin vehicles

Last edited:
It seems that a lot of the insane bidding depends on where you're at. Little rock, Ar. auctions are bringing clean-extra clean wholesale for a rig that's below average and has been sabotaged (by unscrupulous buyers) to the point of not running very well if it'll run at all. Tulsa, Ok auctions are a little more reasonable in both pricing and getting vehicles that have not been tampered with.
We don't do "buy here-pay here" at our car lot, so we don't mark them up to the insane prices and then finance at the insane interest rates that some other car lots do. This makes our battle with the "buy here-pay here" guys at these sales a tough one. CM is one of the worst offenders when it comes to paying too much for a vehicle at these sales. We even have some of these places come to us and pay us well for some of these cars after we've gone through them and made them front line ready at our lot. That's all fine with us, if they want to pay, we want to sell.
The one thing that we've noticed that hasn't gone down too much are trucks, it's still hard to buy a truck right now,...well for us anyway.

earlier today sold our two owner 2008 BMW 335i coupe, 34k miles, every option, exclusively BMW dealer maintained to include $2300 in preventive maintenance last month to include OEM tires, battery etc. for $16,800. We have owned the car for ten years, never driven in winter, etc.

KBB said private party value $13,500
KBB said Dealer trade in $9700

If used car market was not so hot, we would of kept the car. We don't have garage space and I was unable to find a garage for rent in the Columbia, SC area.

Don't feel great about selling the car, as it was mint condition. Needed not a thing. In today's market- can one can a nicely equipped low mileage car for 17k....????

That is why all these appraisal tools are just that.

It makes you feel smart when the car you bought for $15k would sell for $20k to carvana.
Nobody was smart buying a house 20 or 30 years ago-to see it quad triple in value. You bought it because you needed a place to live and raise your family. So-I guess it's cheap entertainment value. If Vroom or Carvana charged for these estimates-the cheapskates on here wouldn't be doing it.

It seems that a lot of the insane bidding depends on where you're at. Little rock, Ar. auctions are bringing clean-extra clean wholesale for a rig that's below average and has been sabotaged (by unscrupulous buyers) to the point of not running very well if it'll run at all. Tulsa, Ok auctions are a little more reasonable in both pricing and getting vehicles that have not been tampered with.
We don't do "buy here-pay here" at our car lot, so we don't mark them up to the insane prices and then finance at the insane interest rates that some other car lots do. This makes our battle with the "buy here-pay here" guys at these sales a tough one. CM is one of the worst offenders when it comes to paying too much for a vehicle at these sales. We even have some of these places come to us and pay us well for some of these cars after we've gone through them and made them front line ready at our lot. That's all fine with us, if they want to pay, we want to sell.
The one thing that we've noticed that hasn't gone down too much are trucks, it's still hard to buy a truck right now,...well for us anyway.
Trucks are a strong market in all but the big metro areas-where parking is an (MAJOR) issue.

There is a always a rise and a fall. Look at the lumber prices a couple of months ago. Wait until the fall and buy buy buy! This could take a couple years to settle again. There might be some good new car and truck deals once all the parts arrive to finish them at the factories. .

You always see the dogfights and helium high valuations, but a few from yesterday really took the cake.

15 year old base model 2006 Toyota Sienna CE sold for $10,400 plus the $400 buy fee. It did have only 28k miles but where is the profit from here?

19 year old 2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser with 67k went for nearly double the price of one I bought last month. About $4000 when you add the buy fee. It wasn't anything special other than a documented timing belt replacement.

Finally, this is the one I wrote about 24 year old Jeep Wrangler with the tin worm that has spent its entire life in Massachusetts. Sold for nearly $10,000 even if you include the auction's buy fee. A rust free example from down south would have been worth at least $5,000 more. This one will need rose colored glasses once it's put on a lift.

Still, a Sahara with the 5-speed, four-wheel-drive and hard top is a great overall package. I rarely see these TJ models on the road anymore. Most spend 97+% of their time in a garage.

They are like the XJ or ZJ. A clean specimen is now rare. That TJ seems reasonable. Poor photos of the rust, but they make things to fix that. Body panels are still available too. Chances are whoever buys it will retire it from salt use.

I gotta wonder if every flood damaged 1982 Celica will be a $15000 vehicle

would be interesting to make a site that aggravates all the copart end sales amounts during this time, too bad the export status is so manual to determine

My friend's son, dismayed with his 2019 Frontier's gas mileage, is seriously considering trading the truck in for a more economical something.

It's a 2019 Frontier w/
Well, my neighbors sold their 2014 Frontier S - base model fleet special. I did some upgrades(power locks and new Sony CarPlay deck) and maintenance on it. Sold for $15K. With about 60K on the clock.

Back