The Dakar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I'll be watching.... as always!!!

Note to Speed Channel: Less coverage of ------- Robbie Gordon would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a note, Silber, Dakar is NOT on Speed Channel. They abandoned the Dakar before they abandoned WRC and a lot of other racing several years ago.

The Dakar is on Versus (including HD if you have it in your area).

Or, you can follow the progress on-line:

http://www.dakar.com/index_DAKus.html

The FIA should really put Monte Carlo back on the WRC schedule!!!
I miss the top teams not being at that grandaddy of all performance rallies!
frown.gif

But yes, thanks for the heads up on Dakar.
thumbsup2.gif

At least VS still shows some form of rallying!
cool.gif

Based on the first show, I'm less than impressed by Versus' coverage. Too much of the "on-air talent" flapping their jaws and not enough actual action. I'm hoping tonight's show will be a big improvement.

Note to Versus: JUST SHUT UP AND SHOW THE BLASTED RACE!!!

Yes, I'm less than thrilled with The Today Show format.

They only have 30 minutes to report on the progress of some 400 competitors, the topography of the day's course, the weather, etc ...

They didn't even have a pre-event show to run down the top 20 or so competitors in each category.

And so far, I haven't seen any mention of the big trucks! Not my favorite class ... but the Dakar would not be the Dakar without them.

Spoiler Alert.

Halfway through Dakar 2011 and we are already seeing some thinning of the field.

Whiney Robbie Gordon is out ... his style of pounding a square peg (his 2WD, V8 Hummer) into a round hole wasn't as successful this year as it was last year. The winning formula is a light-weight, 4WD, turbodiesel truck/SUV ... that hasn't changed in years. They are supreme in the twisty, technical bits and are plenty fast enough for the wide open running.

Versus coverage leaves a lot to be desired. They did NOTHING to publicize this event. I checked their site for a month prior to the start ... not a word that they would be broadcasting it this year. That info was hidden on the official Dakar website.

Now that the event is on, Versus is showing promos for it ... during the coverage. How does THAT make any sense?? Hello? We're already watching!!

What about an hour pre-event show that talks to the competitors, shows close-ups of their vehicles, etc ...

Ines Sainz is a smokin' little thing ... but I'd rather have the couple of minutes they spend on her devoted to more coverage of the days' stage.

This is a hardcore event with a capital H ... so why are they covering it using a format more suited to The Today Show?

Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
Ines Sainz is a smokin' little thing

Did she give up on Jets locker room reporting?
lol.gif

In all seriousness I love the Dakar, wish the webpage gave a little more info though. Awesome article a few months back in either Racecar Engineering or Race Tech about that VW.

No, no relation to Carlos Sainz, the current leader in the "cars" category.

Ines is the model-turned-reporter that was the subject of cat calls while interviewing NY Jets team members in the locker room a few months ago.

Google her name and click "images" and you can see what all the hootin' 'n hollerin' was about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back