The cure for H.S Dropouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
back in the very old days... when people didnt have a choice but to fend for themselves or likely die in the winter, people who didnt live all the way in the boonies, and who were half lucky, went for apprenticeships. Sure schooling wasnt what it is today, but people learned a trade and eventually created value.

Now people go to school and a HS diploma (and even a bachelors) is barely worth the paper its written upon - far too commonplace. Yet any expect to make large amounts of money, and are disapointed and take it out on the family... or are too lazy to properly execute their work, and have issues. This, combined with distractions from cellphones, internet, less than optimal friends, girls, drigs, etc. combine and cause dropouts.

U.S. companies would never go for this. They cn train 10 Chinese Ph.D students in China for the proce of one Ph.D student in the US. They could probably train 50 workers in China for the price of one worker here. U.S. companies dont really care about U.S. workers, as much as they like to spin things... why else has a HUGE amount if U.S. R&D and manufacturing gone to China and India? Why have so many call centers for U.S. companies gone to India? They just dont care... and if they did, the shareholders would make a bigger stink.

I guess thats one benefit of the union influenced companies... they have some leverage to keep a least some of the amnufacturing base in the hemisphere.

Anyway, my suggestion is this: Repeal the all-encompasing minimum wage law. To be elligible for minimum wage, you must (a) be a U.S. citizen or legally here, (b) have grduated from high school or be actively enrolled as a student (summer break is OK). This way, dropouts and illegal aliens can do all these jobs that GWB claims exist and that Americans wont do (likely because many get paid more on elfare than they would for the jobs), and let them get paid $1/hour and compete with Mexicans or whatnot.

The problem is that we need welfare and some of these social programs to keep the dregs of society from robbing those of us blessed enough or hard-working enough to have something worthwhile. Thus my solution is more of a rant, because mark my words, if a lot of these social programs went away, those people wouldnt starve, they wouldnt go to work, they would rob you and I. Our society is based upon instant gratification... thus everyone needing no less than a V-6 engine, teenage pregnancy, the dominance of wal-mart, overstretched credit, etc. If companies actually cared about the country that made them into what they are, they might support programs like this, and give kids who arent necessarily on the college or any other sort of path, something to do where they could combine instant gratification in terms of $$$, with employment out of school, and with an incentive to stay in school, because unless they start selling drugs, they probably wont make that much $$$ as a highschool senior.

JMH

My wife is German and for years has advocated the German system of schooling, where kids are tracked into either vocational or college courses depending upon scores. Of course in the US that's never fly as 'everyone has a right to go to Harvard'. I guess we should turn South Dakota into an Ivy League school, so everyone can go.

My wife also does language translation at some local schools, and picked up a recent Time as the cover story was on dropouts, something that is a big problem. Per the article in Time about 1/3rd of kids will drop out, a rate that's evidently been steady since at least the '70s. It also caries by economic class, where the bottom quater has a dropout rate 6x that of the top quarter.

With the common practice of 'social promotion', where kids are moved to the next grade regardless of whether they've mastered their current grade, we end up with the stereotypical stories of kids graduating even though they can't read. With a large (increasing ?) population of parents that don't seem intent on keeping their kids in school, we seem to end up with a culture that doesn't value an education, and they end up with kids that do the same. This varies not only by eceonomic class, it obviously varies by race and even by region, where blacks from northern cities were scoring higher than rural southern whites on military exams even as far back as WWI.

My 'simple solution to the complex problem' is to start a two track system similar to how Germany has set up their system, to stop social promotion, and to start engaging the problem as a serious national issue. We need to identify what works, what doesn't, and to start tracking progress. The 'no child left behind' is a joke, considering how schools are currently graded.

I teach.

7-12th grade.

Thank the bureaucrats sucking at the public trough full of tax dollars for many of the problems in education.

Then, top that off with politicians who pander to voters via education for making a mess of education.

I am convinced the USA needs to divorce public education from politis AND government.

Yes, a law requiring attendance at some form of educational system from age X to age Z but, other than that, allow the kid's parent/guardian/whatever decide where to send the kid.

Get government out of education!!!!!!!!

For too long the elite class has used public schools as a venue to indoctrinate kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back