TH400 fluid recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buddy is putting a TH400 on his well-warmed 402 Olds and wanted recommendations on fluid.

He was thinking of going Redline D4-ATF, but at 90 bucks it's a little pricey.

My idea (run it up the flagpole) is to run Pennzoil or Chevron Supreme for the same time as an OCI, and decide if the fluid is getting burnt in that 3k miles.

Really i wouldn't have thought twice, but the non-locking torque convertor has me stumped. How much pounding do these TCs give the fluid? Heat is the killer of fluid and trannies, so it can't be good at all.

thanks much

ferb!

A good synthetic, would probably be a benefit. A tranny cooler is almost mandatory with a high-stall TC.............I am going to assume that the TC isn't stock, if the engine is beefed up.

quote:

Originally posted by sbc350gearhead:
A good synthetic, would probably be a benefit. A tranny cooler is almost mandatory with a high-stall TC.............I am going to assume that the TC isn't stock, if the engine is beefed up.

The TC is a 2500 street/strip. The guy's end goal is to shovel a blown 383 in the bay and put around 500 ponies out the rear.

Any brand recommendation on the synth ATF? I know 'Kule likes the #204S, but the guy wants something locally available. I would LOVE if Schaeffer's stuff was locally available, but seems more of a pipe-dream out here.

ferb!

ferb!

Go with the Amsoil ATF. It is great in Dexron III applications like this. I have it in my GM truck trannies and have been very pleased. Don't let him cheap out for the 99 cent Walmart stuff when building up a car/toy like this one.

The stall torque converter for the 400 is going to be the major heat generator, so I would go with at least a semisynthetic or Blend, such as Schaeffer's 204S. Since you are racing, order a 5-gallon pail from Tim Mills and you'll save $$. Best bang for the buck.

How much "slam-into-gear" do you want? If you want a hard slamming gear changer, mix Schaeffer's #204S 50/50 with O'Reileys Ford Type-F.

If you do not intend to rebuild the tranny after a couple of "engagements" then use Schaeffer's 204S only.

Next down the line would be the Chevron Supreme Dexron III/Mercon fluid.

I assume you have a valve body gasket that has reprogrammed the tranny for quick gear changing, because slow shifting also generates a lot of heat.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:

How much "slam-into-gear" do you want? If you want a hard slamming gear changer, mix Schaeffer's #204S 50/50 with O'Reileys Ford Type-F.

I assume you have a valve body gasket that has reprogrammed the tranny for quick gear changing, because slow shifting also generates a lot of heat.

The valves have already been 'configured' for quick and firm shifting, so Type-F is unnecessary. I'll definately pitch the 5 gallon pail to him. You happen to know a round-about price of those? I've been wanting to try out the #204S in my GTP, so this might be the 'best time'.

And i'll make sure he gets the bggest tranny cooler that will fit in the nose of his truck.

ferb!

quote:

Originally posted by Chris142:
In your first post you said it was a 402 Olds. Did you mean 403 Olds engine? Or a 402 Chevy?

FWIW the TH400 from a B.O.P.C. car wont bolt to a shivvy engine w/o an adapter.

Yeeip.. Typo. The engine is a 403 from a '78 Olds Custom Cruiser. The tranny is a uni-bell TH400. He was originally going to get a Chevy TH400 and the TCI B-O-P adaptor, but the auto swap had a rebuild TH400 with the rare "mates to anything" bell housing.

Funny how that one number can confuse everyone. I didn't even notice.

ferb!

Ferb seez,

quote:

The valves have already been 'configured' for quick and firm shifting, so Type-F is unnecessary. I'll definately pitch the 5 gallon pail to him. You happen to know a round-about price of those? I've been wanting to try out the #204S in my GTP, so this might be the 'best time'.

And i'll make sure he gets the bggest tranny cooler that will fit in the nose of his truck.

Excellent on the mods.
cool.gif

Call Tim Mills at that 1-800 number, since I don't know what the latest price would be.

[ March 04, 2004, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:

Call Tim Mills at that 1-800 number, since I don't know what the latest price would be.

Yeah, but i KNOW that when i call Tim i'm gonna be getting a lot more than just ATF.. *shakes fist at Schaeffer's* Darn them for making such cool stuff!!

ferb!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back