Texas Raiders B-17 crash today

What a horrific crash and loss of life and aircraft today. I dont want to post the video, you can Google it. B-17 and P-63 midair in Dallas today. RIP to the aviators flying. So sad.

b-17.jpg

Clearly the fault of the P-63 - he hit the B-17 who was both formation lead and flying a steady path, but it's too early to say if it was pilot error per se. Could be a jammed flight control, etc. Until the investigation is done, it's hard to know.

Even harder to watch.

Fatal mistake, health issue/emergency, or hardware failure of control surfaces or controls, or ...

Both were beautiful planes and not many left.

Looks like the King Cobra pilot was belly up and blind to the Fortress... 1942 designed P63 (engine behind) are so rare that this might be the last one flying...

Last edited:
What level of confidence could be determined for a mechanical problem in an old warbird that had a mid-air collision then crashed? Look at the flight control surfaces in the videos for clues? Do most investigations come to a firm conclusion?
You would be surprised what the wreckage shows when thoroughly examined. Things that were thought to be pure pilot error ended up being a mechanical fault when the investigation was finished.

I just know that it's too early to judge.

I had a very close friend die in an airshow practice crash (flying the routine before the actual show). The investigation was able to determine flight control continuity as the aileron, elevator and rudder cables were still attached and intact, along with engine operation at power, although one engine cable was broken in the crash, the video clearly shows both engines making full power.

My friend Joe had just performed a 180 deg turn to get back to airshow center and very likely GLoc'd (G induced loss of consciousness) . I know the G loading was fairly low, but he was not an aerobatic pilot and had zero stunt plane experience. The 3 to 5G's did him in.

My friend and neighbor races a P-63 at Reno in the unlimited category.

I left him a voice mail (I was worried). He called me back after about 15 mins. It was a friend of his. He's seen the video(s).

His guess is "target fixation"?

What level of confidence could be determined for a mechanical problem in an old warbird that had a mid-air collision then crashed? Look at the flight control surfaces in the videos for clues? Do most investigations come to a firm conclusion?

Jettising of critical flight control parts would be clues of a mechanical problem that might show in a video like they did when Galloping Ghost augured at Reno... other clues would be pilots action like pulling up sky ward to gain time and maneuvering altitude or pulling power to decrease the lost of flight control...

Investigations without a firm flight data recorder or the pilot's radio call declaring the nature of a MayDay end up as the most probable cause...

"Approximately 80 percent of airplane accidents are due to human error (pilots, air traffic controllers, mechanics, etc.)"

Last edited:
My friend and neighbor races a P-63 at Reno in the unlimited category.

I left him a voice mail (I was worried). He called me back after about 15 mins. It was a friend of his. He's seen the video(s).

His guess is "target fixation"?

Oh my gosh... your friend is Patrick Nightingale of Pretty Ploy???

I know first hand that target fixation is deadly racing a motorcycle or flying an aircraft... you have to train yourself to look where want to go... not what you want to miss... because where ever your eyes fixate your aircraft or motorcycle are sure to go...

This is the best video of it yet. P-63 hit the B-17 just behind the wing, literally chopping it in half.... I have no idea who is making the commentary at the end. Or what his level of expertise is.

I remember back in 2005, 2 of the best airshow pilots in the business, (Jim Franklin and Bobby Younkin), both crashed into each other in a midair collision at an airshow up in Canada. Both died instantly.

It was a similar scenario. A lot of planes in the air at the same time, all flying low and fast. Both collided with one not seeing the other.

Looks like the King Cobra pilot was belly up and blind to the Fortress... 1942 designed P63 (engine behind) are so rare that this might be the last one flying...

Fascinating video. Is he the P-63 pilot who was killed in the collision? This is just heartbreaking. His passion for the history of this airplane is evident.

Such a tragic accident.

Back