Tested both Sonata and Camry,bought Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Malibu would have been another nice car to compare with before purchasing.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

I looked at the Malibu too and it is a fine car also.It just came down to personal preferance.

The V6 Fusion would have been another really nice car to compare before purchasing...I think it looks alot better then the Camry and it is just as well built if not better...Just IMHO.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

Yeah it has great styling, nice interior, quiet riding, good pricing, 100K mile powertrain warranty, and it's a domestic. To me the 4-door midsizes are all pretty similar trasportation for lack of a better wording. So I don't see what would compel someone to prefer say a Hyundai over a Malibu. It seems like whenever someone test drives a Malibu they never have a clear reason for not prefering it. I wished GM would offer a 2-dr Malibu like the Accord so it'd have an image beyond a soccer Mom's car.

I agree with CV4L. Congrats on the new car, but the Fusion V6 Sport looks amazingly exciting for a 4 dr sedan...Camry, as it has always been looks like it was styled by Sears. But for someone who's looking for a general A to B car, it's probably an ok choice.

Last edited:
Despite the Fusion and Camry sharing a similar size and layout, they're really aimed at different market segments. It was like the older Accords vs the older Camrys. Some people just drove Accords. And some people just drove Camrys. They often weren't even cross-shopped, for various reasons.

We have a 2011 Fusion Hybrid at work. And it's a fantastic car. It handles better than my Camry, but doesn't ride as nice. I don't like the center stack, or how the HVAC controls are buried at the bottom. It has a severe rearward visibility issue. I like the Fusion seats better. As with any comparison, there are things I like better about one, and there are things I like better than the other.

I think the styling of both are attractive. Each is a very cohesive and well put-together package.

One car isn't "better" than the other in the absolute sense, but each one will absolutely better suit some preferences vs others. Regarding it being an "okay choice", I'd say so; it's been the best-selling sedan for over a decade! That's a consistent track record.

IMO the Fusion is similar to the Accord compromising ride and some comfort for handling and the Malibu is more similar to the Camry with a focus on quietness and smooth ride.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
The V6 Fusion would have been another really nice car to compare before purchasing...I think it looks alot better then the Camry and it is just as well built if not better...Just IMHO.

The new Fusion is a nice vehicle however I was looking for a more luxurious ride vs the more sporty demeanor of the Fusion.

I concur with the Accord comparison mentioned here.

Quote:
I am really liking the new Sonata. Might upgrade soon.
If I were you I'd wait for a test drive until they start making the Sonata with new 2.0L Turbo GDI engine, should be soon.

To the OP, congrats on the new ride. Hey, while the styling seems somewhat dated to me, the Camry did win MT's recent midsize comparo.

Here are the pics:

new_2011_camry_006.jpg

new_2011_camry_007.jpg

new_2011_camry_008.jpg

Nice! My wife LOVES that color.

Wish they would turn the engine the other way so the exhaust went out the rear straight instead of the 180. Like the Corolla. But it works so what do I know?

Very nice!

Enjoy, Bill

Wow. What a classy-looking interior. The warm tones are so inviting. Mine also has the Bisque, but is missing the XLE's wood grain panels.
01.gif

Bill,

The older Corollas with the 4AFE and 7AFE engines were oriented this way.

I wonder if the 1ZZ and 2ZZ engines were the odd ones :)

On topic, that is a nice looking Camry. I really wish oilBabe had chosen a Camry over the Altima, but she drives the Altima every day, so she has to live with it. However, I still think it sounds like a tractor.

Very nice color combination! The XLE brings some classy additions to the base model. I like the wheels, lamps and the light colored leather interior.

And 0%, can't beat that.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Nice! My wife LOVES that color.

Wish they would turn the engine the other way so the exhaust went out the rear straight instead of the 180. Like the Corolla. But it works so what do I know?

Very nice!

Enjoy, Bill

Mrs Alan says its a "girly" color LOL but I wanted something light for a change.

The 1999 1ZZ-FE equipped Corolla I bought new was like that with the exhaust tapped on the opposite side of the intake.Made for an easy car to work on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back