Tested both Sonata and Camry,bought Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wanted something newer so I went to test both the 2011 Sonata Limited and 2011 Camry XLE.

The Sonata on the outside was definatly more stylish,drove extremely nice,had pretty cool variable steering(easy in parking lots,tighter on the road)and seemed pretty well made.The new 2.4L DI engine has plenty of pep and worked well with the 6spd auto it was bolted to.It does produce that same diesel like noise i've heard from other DI engines though albeit not loud.
Inside the interior was really nicely styled however it felt a bit "small" to me.

The Camry,although not as stylish is still pretty handsome on the outside.Likewise the interior,while not as stylish it is still handsome with it's warm wood accents,color tones and dual power front seats(driver only in the Sonata).Everything seems very well built.
Interior room was the clear winner here,it just felt plain bigger and roomier everywhere which matters more to me than a smaller albeit more stylish interior.
Also the new 2AR-FE engine is the most refined Toyota 4 cylinder i've ever experienced,comparible to any Honda 4 cylinder out there.The new 6spd auto matches well with it and makes the most of of smooth power delivery.

Bought the Camry but both are really nice cars.

BTW,am averaging 27.3 mpg's so far with 70/30 city/HW driving.

Originally Posted By: Alan
Wanted something newer so I went to test both the 2011 Sonata Limited and 2011 Camry XLE.

The Sonata on the outside was definatly more stylish,drove extremely nice,had pretty cool variable steering(easy in parking lots,tighter on the road)and seemed pretty well made.The new 2.4L DI engine has plenty of pep and worked well with the 6spd auto it was bolted to.It does produce that same diesel like noise i've heard from other DI engines though albeit not loud.
Inside the interior was really nicely styled however it felt a bit "small" to me.

The Camry,although not as stylish is still pretty handsome on the outside.Likewise the interior,while not as stylish it is still handsome with it's warm wood accents,color tones and dual power front seats(driver only in the Sonata).Everything seems very well built.
Interior room was the clear winner here,it just felt plain bigger and roomier everywhere which matters more to me than a smaller albeit more stylish interior.
Also the new 2AR-FE engine is the most refined Toyota 4 cylinder i've ever experienced,comparible to any Honda 4 cylinder out there.The new 6spd auto matches well with it and makes the most of of smooth power delivery.

What was the difference in price of the 2 vehicles?
I am really liking the new Sonata. Might upgrade soon.

Originally Posted By: mareakin
You must've gotten a heavy discount for the ugly Camry, yes?

0% apr.

Originally Posted By: BigBuck

Give or take $500 pricewise.

Bought at Fitzmall in MD.

Alan, being a Camry owner, I'll obviously agree with the choice you made. It's amazing how much space efficiency comes with a modern 4-place sedan. The 2AR-FE engine with the 6AT is a great combination, and I've never wanted for more power. 0-60 in 8.4 seconds is reasonable for a large sedan that delivers the fuel economy that this car delivers (though I must say that I'm highly impressed with the EPA numbers that many of Hyundai's new powertrains develop).

I'm also getting better economy in my Camry than I thought I would. 29.6 MPG overall. I was expecting mid 20s.

Congratulations on your purchase. What color?

Congrads!

I LIKE the Camry and its on my short list if I decide to get another car soon.

You'll enjoy it. Photos please!

Take care, bill

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Alan, being a Camry owner, I'll obviously agree with the choice you made. It's amazing how much space efficiency comes with a modern 4-place sedan. The 2AR-FE engine with the 6AT is a great combination, and I've never wanted for more power. 0-60 in 8.4 seconds is reasonable for a large sedan that delivers the fuel economy that this car delivers (though I must say that I'm highly impressed with the EPA numbers that many of Hyundai's new powertrains develop).

I'm also getting better economy in my Camry than I thought I would. 29.6 MPG overall. I was expecting mid 20s.

Congratulations on your purchase. What color?

Aloe Green with Bisque interior.

It sure appears to me that the "sloopy" sonata would definitely have less utility space-wise than the more upright camry.

The camry is a pretty big car.

Originally Posted By: 5sfe91
Congrats on your new car!! Will you be using Toyota 0w-20?

Post some pictures of it!

Toyota is offering free maintenance for 2 years so I would think that they would use Toyota 0W20 but we shall see.

On my dime I plan to use M1 0W20 at the recommended 10k intervals.

Will post pics soon.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
It sure appears to me that the "sloopy" sonata would definitely have less utility space-wise than the more upright camry.

The camry is a pretty big car.

Yep,and the fatter....I mean older I get I appreciate that extra room lol.

Ha, I would be forced by my waistline to agree!

One of the things I look for in a car is the 'fit'. Meaning it can't be like an old shoe, I need some ROOM!

I'm sure you will grow to love that Camry.

Originally Posted By: ryansride2017
What was your out the door price?

A little over 27K with no trade/money down.

Originally Posted By: ryansride2017
What was your out the door price?

A little over 27K with no trade/money down.

Package 2 btw.

Originally Posted By: BigBuck

Give or take $500 pricewise.

Bought at Fitzmall in MD.

I can't understand why anyone would buy a Hyundai at a price near as high as a Honda, Toyota or Domestic. I really doubt they are engineered as well or as good quality regardless of what CU or a few auto magazine claim. I guess some people think they are an equal but I'm not convinced.

Quality is the same (in my experience better) than a recent Toyota (I used to own a 2005 Taco), 5 year BTB warranty, 10 year powertrain warranty, what not to like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back