Tesla SEMI Event

The engineering explained guy seems to think the claims are possible atleast. Nothing is defying physics. Also I don't know how many trucks in or near urban areas actually run 500 miles/day? My buddy has a 300 mile run and that's a full day with loading and unloading.
For sure, its big distributors with fixed routes, that can pay commercial power rates, that are the target market for these trucks

The engineering explained guy seems to think the claims are possible atleast. Nothing is defying physics. Also I don't know how many trucks in or near urban areas actually run 500 miles/day? My buddy has a 300 mile run and that's a full day with loading and unloading.
For sure, its big distributors with fixed routes, that can pay commercial power rates, that are the target market for these trucks

For our work in the GTA, something with this sort of range would work. We'd still need some diesels for running stateside, but this would be cheap to run (charging at HO) in Ontario.

We'd of course be looking at a smaller straight-frame config, not a tractor-trailer arrangement.

Musk said he guarantees the SEMI will not break down for 10 years, due to the electric drivetrain. Maintenance should be far less than a diesel truck. Will it work? That remains to be seen. Interesting times ahead.
These trucks are built in Sparks Nevada on the pilot line. Giga Austin will be the production line(s). Tesla expects to sell 50K SEMIs annually.
Again, we'll see.

The cynical side of me thinks Musk is covering himself with his nuclear comment. California alone would have to build something like 10 nuke plants. The likelihood of that occurring is between slim and none.
Yeah, but he doesnt really have to cover himself with CA. CA already doomed themselves with the banning of gasoline vehicle sales. Of course we know that law will get extended because we all know CA is already deficient in electricity and doomed to more deficiencies with the closing of their last Nuclear Power plant this year which was just extended for another 5 years because? Answer- they realize that they dont have enough electricity never mind shut down a nuclear plant. More or less, more poor planning (and why the gasoline vehicle ban is fantasy, heck they may have to ban EVs ! *LOL*)

Yeah, but he doesnt really have to cover himself with CA. CA already doomed themselves with the banning of gasoline vehicle sales. Of course we know that law will get extended because we all know CA is already deficient in electricity and doomed to more deficiencies with the closing of their last Nuclear Power plant this year which was just extended for another 5 years because? Answer- they realize that they dont have enough electricity never mind shut down a nuclear plant. More or less, more poor planning (and why the gasoline vehicle ban is fantasy, heck they may have to ban EVs ! *LOL*)
I always take those bans with a grain of salt. They're more akin to goals.

I bet it takes a lot of juice to charge one of those big boys up. Interesting read, since our grid is nowhere ready. I could see this happening in the summer in some places here. Blackouts

I’d still like to see a smaller version for local deliveries. Distributors like bakery drivers, beverages, and snacks would be prime customers.
Short runs would be ideal for electric trucks as a proof of concept and good testing ground for reliability and possible issues.

Having worked in Fleet with Frito for many years in a national role, I understand the game plan.
The first Tesla SEMIs will run out of the Frito Lay Modesto plant.
The trucks haul what we called "sailboat fuel" The potato chips hauled cube out way before they weight out a truck, as half of the bag of chips is "air". Actually nitrogen, but that's diving deep.
These semis will weight max 60,000 lbs CGVW.
The routes will be hand selected and monitored, to predetermine the outcome? ... not sure, but likely

As good a scenario you can get for a launch fleet.

Something like this?
1670008802606.jpg

Those must be fun to drive in a crosswind.
There's a heavy heavy battery in the floor. Not ideal, but it helps.

I agree. However, unless Tesla changes what it charges for power, which is now around 50c per KWh, I don't think it will be cheap in any way. Of course the price of Diesel fuel matters. But we must admit there is absolutely no reason that Diesel fuel should be $6-7 per gallon.

I know Tesla is claiming 2KWh per mile, but we must remember the purchased power is higher than the used power. We cannot claim $1 per mile, as the purchased power will be about 135% of used power. So, $1.35 per mile might be a good guess. Right in line with $7 per gal Diesel.

I'm very glad Musk said he is a fan of Nuclear power. That's what it is going to take to make this work.

Also of note, they made it 500 miles a large portion as slow as 54-55mph and up to 60 in cruise, but had 4% battery at the end. That's not a reasonable operational point for battery management OR TRAVEL SPEED.

Note - 55MPH is the legal speed limit for towing in Cali, but yeah not ideal for sure.

Note - 55MPH is the legal speed limit for towing in Cali, but yeah not ideal for sure.
I know CA is a bit "different", but out in the real world, Semi trucks crossing the country all go at least 70, and more than a few guys cruise at 80. A semi going 55 or 60 in the right lane on I95 in FL creates problems. As travel speed is about 80-85 in between the cities.

I know CA is a bit "different", but out in the real world, Semi trucks crossing the country all go at least 70, and more than a few guys cruise at 80. A semi going 55 or 60 in the right lane on I95 in FL creates problems. As travel speed is about 80-85 in between the cities.

I completely agree.

My issue with the stated range on this rig is that it's based on the California tow speed limit.

This rig wouldnt come close to its stated range anywhere else that has a reasonable towing speed.

I've encountered many semis in CA on Interstates 5 and 80 running at more than 70mph. California, IMHO, is not that different from the rest of the country.

I've encountered many semis in CA on Interstates 5 and 80 running at more than 70mph. California, IMHO, is not that different from the rest of the country.
It's not, here on Long Island they'll run 75 mph or more on the L.I.E. in a 55 mph zone, traffic permitting.

Back