Tesla SEMI Event

This event is in celebration of the 1st SEMI being delivered to Pepsi in Nevada. The SEMI uses 3 Plaid motors, I believe. One is in use all the time, the other 2 kick in seamlessly for acceleration or when climbing a grade. The truck can climb a 6% grade at speed. Regeneration occurs on the downside. No downshifting.

Around 3:30 of the video it show a clip of the fully loaded SEMI on a 500 mile run between Fremont and San Diego, at the Donner Pass grade. Grapevine and all. One charge.
I would be curious what BITOG truck drivers feel about the way the SEMI performs vs a diesel rig. Apparantly the SEMI has 3x the power.
Thanks in advance.

Tesla SEMI Event

Around 3:30 of the video it show a clip of the fully loaded SEMI on a 500 mile run between Fremont and San Diego, at the Donner Pass grade. Grapevine and all. One charge.

Tesla SEMI Event
I must have missed something. How does a run between Fremont and San Diego (which is 475 miles south of Fremont) hit the Donner Pass, which is 150 miles or so north of Fremont?

This event is in celebration of the 1st SEMI being delivered to Pepsi in Nevada. The SEMI uses 3 Plaid motors, I believe. One is in use all the time, the other 2 kick in seamlessly for acceleration or when climbing a grade. The truck can climb a 6% grade at speed. Regeneration occurs on the downside. No downshifting.

I would be curious what BITOG truck drivers feel about the way the SEMI performs vs a diesel rig. Apparantly the SEMI has 3x the power.
Thanks in advance.

Tesla SEMI Event
Quite interesting that he specifically mentions his support for nuclear energy.

I'm interested to see how this plays out.

I like the idea of the powertain being able to disconnect 2/3 of the drive motors during constant speed situations to maximize the range.

I must have missed something. How does a run between Fremont and San Diego (which is 475 miles south of Fremont) hit the Donner Pass, which is 150 miles or so north of Fremont?
Good question.
Something was said about a longer route to make the 500 miles, as Fremont to SD is not quite that far. More likely, the Donner Pass was from another run, not part of the Fremont to SD run.

Good point Shel.

You're right. The only logical explanation is the Time Travel Teleportation Device that Tesla is working on.

1669956281531.jpg

1669956234476.jpg

1669956198008.jpg

Well we’re seeing lots of issues with emission control on “conventional” trucks.

Full torque at 0 rpm is pretty great feature-wise.

Even if they added an APU to the truck frame (trucks don’t have the stupid tax break requirements in the law like cars do), it would be a great approach.

It’s not for every application. But for certain delivery jobs, where it could probably even charge while unloading, it can make a lot of sense if cost competitive. It’s not exactly unproven if using parts from their other lines…

Well we’re seeing lots of issues with emission control on “conventional” trucks.
They're due to poor design, poor implementation, and corner cutting to save a buck.

Full torque at 0 rpm is pretty great feature-wise.
For how long?

Even if they added an APU to the truck frame (trucks don’t have the stupid tax break requirements in the law like cars do), it would be a great approach.
What kind of APU? A little more detail would be appreciated.

It’s not for every application. But for certain delivery jobs, where it could probably even charge while unloading, it can make a lot of sense if cost competitive. It’s not exactly unproven if using parts from their other lines…
The better question is: who can afford to purchase, own & operate these vehicles?

I have been involved with this business for a long time in many capacities, including as a driver. Things aren't simple, and with the way things are going now, I don't see these becoming available or even feasible to own & operate for small and medium trucking companies.

Back to emission control, that's not the only problem with modern semi trucks. The plethora of safety systems that malfunction and don't actually make these trucks safer, along with automatic transmissions that don't belong in semi trucks, complex differentials & power dividers meant to save an imperceptible amount of fuel, and other nonsense built into modern semis makes them a nightmare to own and operate for small and medium companies. The large carriers buy them, put the cheapest steering wheel holder they can find behind the wheel (no need to know how to shift these days) and run the crap out of these trucks for 500K miles, then dump them on the used market. And since we're on an oil forum, no, they don't have a decent OCI schedule. Around 40K~50K is the norm for them, which is ridiculous.

Unless these large carriers can acquire these Tesla trucks for a good deal, and can get low paid drivers to operate them, and the operational costs are feasible, they will buy them and put them on the road. However, they put rethreaded tires on trucks and don't change the oil on time and cut other corners on current trucks, so don't expect them to pay Tesla for maintenance and repairs. That won't happen. In the real world, this one is a hard sell. I'm glad though that Pepsi and other large corporations bought them, so they can look good while adhering to the Deloitte doctrine.

They're due to poor design, poor implementation, and corner cutting to save a buck.

Perhaps. But you’re marking unsubstantiated statements regarding all types of vehicles…
For how long?
Come on. That’s a ridiculous question if you are as established as you claim.

The point of at 0 rpm is because you need to get a load moving. Time will tell what the thermal performance of the battery will be, but obviously there’s a much better amount of cooling area in a truck than in a Tesla car.

What kind of APU? A little more detail would be appreciated.

again, if you’re as established as you claim, you surely know of the work on small apps for anti idle and cabin comfort, as well as some of the other approaches taken for certain vehicles, like the BMW approach on the i3.
The better question is: who can afford to purchase, own & operate these vehicles?

Time will tell if it is cost competitive. IMO the Tesla cars arent cost competitive… but the objective look at dollars and cents will get looked at by fleets, and I’d suspect that Tesla has done some due diligence on this.
I have been involved with this business for a long time in many capacities, including as a driver. Things aren't simple, and with the way things are going now, I don't see these becoming available or even feasible to own & operate for small and medium trucking companies.
neither are the latest emissions controlled trucks. There’s another good thread on that… between repairs, the highway robbery type costs for towing, etc. it’s insane.
Back to emission control, that's not the only problem with modern semi trucks. The plethora of safety systems that malfunction and don't actually make these trucks safer, along with automatic transmissions that don't belong in semi trucks, complex differentials & power dividers meant to save an imperceptible amount of fuel, and other nonsense built into modern semis makes them a nightmare to own and operate for small and medium companies. The large carriers buy them, put the cheapest steering wheel holder they can find behind the wheel (no need to know how to shift these days) and run the crap out of these trucks for 500K miles, then dump them on the used market. And since we're on an oil forum, no, they don't have a decent OCI schedule. Around 40K~50K is the norm for them, which is ridiculous.

Unless these large carriers can acquire these Tesla trucks for a good deal, and can get low paid drivers to operate them, and the operational costs are feasible, they will buy them and put them on the road. However, they put rethreaded tires on trucks and don't change the oil on time and cut other corners on current trucks, so don't expect them to pay Tesla for maintenance and repairs. That won't happen. In the real world, this one is a hard sell. I'm glad though that Pepsi and other large corporations bought them, so they can look good while adhering to the Deloitte doctrine.

Pepsi, for one . I've heard, but haven't verified, that JB Hunt has an interest. Didn't Amazon order or somehow get involved with Rivian. These trucks would be perfect for some of their applications.

The other part of your question would be answerable once the cost was known. Let's see if the costs can be compared. A new Freightliner Cascadia tickets for about $160,00 and goes up from there. $190,00 - $200,00 is not unreasonable for a nicely equipped model. The only figure I have thus far for the Tesla is $180,00 ... does anyone have something different?

This is awesome, I feel a game changer by Tesla in shipping much more than an EV automobile and one where Tesla for the moment and most likely a very long time will have a firm grip on the market. This is going to be big IF they can get the vehicles produced fast enough. Good for them.

I too! Noticed the Comment on Nuclear power. Good god I wish the "people" would wake up. Maybe Musks team could educate the country?
It will happen, just a matter of when. Start now for a smooth transition to EVs or like we seem to do, wait until its too late and then catch up?

If the all-in costs are cheaper or comparable does it matter?
I agree. However, unless Tesla changes what it charges for power, which is now around 50c per KWh, I don't think it will be cheap in any way. Of course the price of Diesel fuel matters. But we must admit there is absolutely no reason that Diesel fuel should be $6-7 per gallon.

I know Tesla is claiming 2KWh per mile, but we must remember the purchased power is higher than the used power. We cannot claim $1 per mile, as the purchased power will be about 135% of used power. So, $1.35 per mile might be a good guess. Right in line with $7 per gal Diesel.

I'm very glad Musk said he is a fan of Nuclear power. That's what it is going to take to make this work.

Also of note, they made it 500 miles a large portion as slow as 54-55mph and up to 60 in cruise, but had 4% battery at the end. That's not a reasonable operational point for battery management OR TRAVEL SPEED.

Last edited:
I'm happy to see them finally in production and being released. And I believe the long delay has been that Elon wanted to make sure that (hopefully most) of the bugs had been worked out and he wasn't rushing a flawed product to the market just to be the first or just to have some kind of EV available, something that can't be said for all of the competition.

Let's hope Tesla's resources can now be concentrated on getting the Cybertrucks in full production and shipped to waiting customers soon. We really need something to give TSLA shares value a kick in the pants again.

I agree. However, unless Tesla changes what it charges for power, which is now around 50c per KWh, I don't think it will be cheap in any way. Of course the price of Diesel fuel matters. But we must admit there is absolutely no reason that Diesel fuel should be $6-7 per gallon.

I know Tesla is claiming 2KWh per mile, but we must remember the purchased power is higher than the used power. We cannot claim $1 per mile, as the purchased power will be about 135% of used power. So, $1.35 per mile might be a good guess. Right in line with $7 per gal Diesel.

I'm very glad Musk said he is a fan of Nuclear power. That's what it is going to take to make this work.

Also of note, they made it 500 miles but had 4% battery at the end. That's not a reasonable operational point for battery management.
The cynical side of me thinks Musk is covering himself with his nuclear comment. California alone would have to build something like 10 nuke plants. The likelihood of that occurring is between slim and none.

The cynical side of me thinks Musk is covering himself with his nuclear comment. California alone would have to build something like 10 nuke plants. The likelihood of that occurring is between slim and none.
Like it or not, mankind is going to have to learn to love nuclear power.

As we move towards electrification, the wonderful "free" hydroelectric power that is so often touted as being so "green" will be an ever diminishing percentage of overall energy production. In fact I predict that hydro will be replaced by nukes in 50 years.

After watching the video again, I am of the opinion that the Tesla Semi is going to need a 40% larger battery to do the job of a real 500 miles at real speeds, without running it below 10% state of charge. I hope those 4680's turn out to be incredibly robust.

Perhaps. But you’re marking unsubstantiated statements regarding all types of vehicles…
I was referring to the emission control systems in Diesel semi trucks. I quoted you when I replied so there shouldn't be any confusion. These systems have been problematic for a long time. I should add that improper uses/user error exacerbates the problems that companies experience with these emission control systems. The introduction on EGR for truck Diesel engines for the 2007 model year wasn't even that bad. What followed after that was painful though. May I point out how stupid it is to burn even more diesel fuel via injector number seven to "pollute less"? These systems could have been done better. However, they were rushed to market, and in the years after they kept getting patched up without actually being thoroughly overhauled. And probably, they never will.

Come on. That’s a ridiculous question if you are as established as you claim.

The point of at 0 rpm is because you need to get a load moving. Time will tell what the thermal performance of the battery will be, but obviously there’s a much better amount of cooling area in a truck than in a Tesla car.
It's a legitimate question. Driving up long steep grades requires a lot of torque. For how long can it sustain it before it runs out of juice? It's an electric vehicle after all.

again, if you’re as established as you claim, you surely know of the work on small apps for anti idle and cabin comfort, as well as some of the other approaches taken for certain vehicles, like the BMW approach on the i3.
I thought we were talking in the context of semi trucks. There is more than one type of APU when it comes to trucks. Idling a Diesel engine for cabin comfort is only one problem, there are other situations where a truck has to generate power using the engine.

This is the second time when you said "established", and at least the third time that you twist my words. I said "involved", not "established". Big difference.

I'm trying to have a conversation, and share what little bit of information I have, and maybe learn something new in exchange. Maybe a debate, if you will. But when I have to re-explain and re-word what I previously said because someone else is getting emotional about my post and starts twisting the meaning of what I wrote, literally on the same page, then it becomes an unpleasant chore. I'm not here for that. Cooler heads...

Time will tell if it is cost competitive. IMO the Tesla cars arent cost competitive… but the objective look at dollars and cents will get looked at by fleets, and I’d suspect that Tesla has done some due diligence on this.
It will ultimately come down to fleet managers to gather the data. Usually when a new technology is involved, trucking companies convert a small percentage of their fleet to the new technology. In the past it was for automatic transmissions, super single tires, etc. That way they can gather data and decide if the switch is cost effective. However, this data collection can take a few years. The initial purchase cost of the vehicle is one aspect. Maintenance and operational expenses is what it comes down to. Medium and large trucking companies can't run to a Tesla dealer for every little thing, many of them have their own shops. Staff needs to be either trained, or new staff hired to work on these trucks. There is a lot that goes into this. Not one fleet manager will okay the purchase of any equipment based on the cool factor alone.

neither are the latest emissions controlled trucks. There’s another good thread on that… between repairs, the highway robbery type costs for towing, etc. it’s insane.
Trucks are being towed for many reasons. You'd be surprised how many are towed because of a plugged fuel filter. Many of the steering wheel holders today don't check them, don't keep spares, and don't know how to replace them on the road. Neither are they trained to do so. Also, many of the reasons why trucks are being towed are preventable. I learned a lot about highway robbery and you can get fleeced out there, believe me.

Pepsi, for one . I've heard, but haven't verified, that JB Hunt has an interest. Didn't Amazon order or somehow get involved with Rivian. These trucks would be perfect for some of their applications.
Yes, I did include them in my previous reply. I hope it works out for them. As rich as they are, they don't really care. If nothing else, it's a good PR move for them because they're making an effort to go green.

The other part of your question would be answerable once the cost was known. Let's see if the costs can be compared. A new Freightliner Cascadia tickets for about $160,00 and goes up from there. $190,00 - $200,00 is not unreasonable for a nicely equipped model. The only figure I have thus far for the Tesla is $180,00 ... does anyone have something different?
Diesel semi truck prices are insane. As an owner operator there is no way to buy one of these rigs, maintain it, make the payments, and stay out of bankruptcy court for very long. Large companies have different types of purchase agreements, and they have contracts in place for the freight they haul.

To make a long story short, I'd be shocked to see owner operators buying into electric trucks. It's a dying trade.

There is another change coming into effect, and that is shorter hauls. Unless something has to make it fast from one coast to the other, that freight will spend some time in a consolidation warehouse. I can see electric trucks working out for this type of hauling for short routes. Sleepers probably won't even be needed.

Change is coming to the transportation sector. Not all of it is good. If up until a short few years ago the average family was spending about 1/4 of their income on transportation, give or take, things have gotten worse, and we the advent of electrified vehicles it will become even worse. The other thing is the proprietary nature of these vehicles. It would help everyone if we, at the very least had a universal battery technology in place that was compatible across manufacturers, by vehicle class of course. And then having easily replaceable batteries would have been a big plus as well. However, the reality is that the industry is profit driven first, and solution driven second. We may accept this as the norm, but it hurts us tremendously in the end.

Back