Tesla Fire

The environmental impact is negligible compared to the alternative. In any case mining is detrimental to the local environment. This includes the coal mines of W Virginia as well as the plethora of active and abandoned mines in the Western US and phosphate mines outside Tampa. Oh any lets not forget the mining of oil/gas. H@ll, I've seen photos of my great-grandfathers oil derricks spewing thousands of gallons of crude onto the ground.

There's no free lunch as they say but not all lunches cost the same.
I was not talking about coal mines, even though Tesla's are probably powered by them.

Still my question is what is the environmental impact? Does soil have to be removed? Any runoff testing done?

Yet nobody was found in the driver's seat :unsure:... Maybe the passenger was "applying torque" to the wheel. Maybe the driver hopped out the window?

We live in a society where the public at large can't be trusted to use ANY kind of tool in a safe manner be it vehicles, guns, knives, drugs, much less a tool touted as having a mode called Autopilot with "full self driving" in the pipeline.

This car has a suite of forward facing radar, 7 cameras, 12 sonar sensors, and millions of miles worth of data that I assume is being passed through some type of AI/ML software to improve the system yet it kills two passengers by running into a tree? Or in this example backs into a patrol car after driving on the wrong side of the road, AGAIN with no driver?

I understand fanboying for something but we need to look past Musk and Tesla's cults of personality, clutch our pearls, and be honest with ourselves that this system isn't ready for public use.
And at the rate common sense and basic intelligence are flying out the window, the public isn't likely to ever be ready. Do you suppose at some point, the engineers at Tesla considered installing a seat switch to detect weight on the bottom cushion of the driver's seat, and then said "naw, nobody will be that stupid". It's a shame that a dead man's switch is even needed, but clearly it is.

And at the rate common sense and basic intelligence are flying out the window, the public isn't likely to ever be ready. Do you suppose at some point, the engineers at Tesla considered installing a seat switch to detect weight on the bottom cushion of the driver's seat, and then said "naw, nobody will be that stupid". It's a shame that a dead man's switch is even needed, but clearly it is.
Actually there is a weight sensor but Autopilot doesn't use that sensor in its suite of sensors as shown here. Again another FANTASTIC design choice. Thoughts please @JeffKeryk?

How utterly disappointing.

Last edited:
There will come a day when you can order a ride and a rolling box will show up. You punch in your destination on the screen and just sit and enjoy the ride.

We are not close to that yet.

Actually there is a weight sensor but Autopilot doesn't use that sensor in its suite of sensors as shown here. Again another FANTASTIC design choice. Thoughts please @JeffKeryk?

Imagine that, in 1973-1974 they had seatbelt-starter interlock that if the seat was occupied and the belt was not fastened the car would not start.
They need a sensor in the seat and a touch sensor on the wheel, no hands or occupant no auto pilot. they could even use an eye sensor like they have to detect the driver nodding off.

Imagine that, in 1973-1974 they had seatbelt-starter interlock that if the seat was occupied and the belt was not fastened the car would not start.
They need a sensor in the seat and a touch sensor on the wheel, no hands or occupant no auto pilot. they could even use an eye sensor like they have to detect the driver nodding off.
They have a sensor in the seat (that Autopilot doesn't use) and the steering wheel needs to sense torque periodically (which can be defeated with a simple weight). The Model 3 even has an interior-facing camera which again isn't being used to ensure driver alertness much less driver seat occupancy.

I believe the firefighters association is keenly interested in these instances. Accidents like these are a learning experience for them. They want to develop training for their firefighters on what to do with EV fires.

The next crap..

I don't remember the news media telling how many gallons of water that was used when putting out fires in
conventional gas or diesel vehicles.
I don't think 32000 gallons is a regular amount. They say what they are told. If it is somethng unusual, they report it. I think auto pilot should be banned. Even the lane change assist etc can thwart a driver from avoiding something because the electronics, no matter how sophisticated, is no match for the brain. What if you need to go out of the lane? What if you want to avoid potholes and not be lane centered?
I would bet a percentage of the public actually see auto pilot as an opportunity to sleep in the back seat. That’s the main benefit. Just put a whole lounge back there.

I have not read much about the seat sensor. I have heard the car will not move without pressure in the driver's seat. Again, I do not know much about the seat pressure sensor use.
I would imagine it would not take too much effort to override seat pressure, if someone wanted to do so.

One thing for sure is, if you unhook your seat belt while on AP, the screen displays a large red steering wheel (AP icon) and beeps loudly at a rapid rate. The only way to turn it off is to disengage AP.

If in fact AP was on (this has not been confirmed either way), the driver had to go through tremendous effort to override it.
FYI, the police believe no one was in the driver's seat. There is much to be confirmed.
I will watch as more information comes out about this terrible accident. I try to avoid jumping to conclusions.

I also believe drivers who act so irresponsibly need to be held seriously accountable.
What if there was a child on a bicycle, a pedestrian, you name it?

Last edited:
This must have been a VERY fast burning fire. From what I read in the news, the rear seat passenger was found still sitting upright!
Nasty.

True enough, remember the Ford Ronson Pinto, a tap in the rear and you became an instant hot rodder.
Commemorative paint job.

Pinto Flame Job.jpg

I believe the firefighters association is keenly interested in these instances. Accidents like these are a learning experience for them. They want to develop training for their firefighters on what to do with EV fires.
Exactly ... I'm surprised all fire departments don't have equipment and procedures for EV fires already. This isn't the first, and won't be the last. I guess each fire department needs to learn the hard way instead of proactive planning - ??.

Yet nobody was found in the driver's seat :unsure:... Maybe the passenger was "applying torque" to the wheel. Maybe the driver hopped out the window?

We live in a society where the public at large can't be trusted to use ANY kind of tool in a safe manner be it vehicles, guns, knives, drugs, much less a tool touted as having a mode called Autopilot with "full self driving" in the pipeline.

This car has a suite of forward facing radar, 7 cameras, 12 sonar sensors, and millions of miles worth of data that I assume is being passed through some type of AI/ML software to improve the system yet it kills two passengers by running into a tree? Or in this example backs into a patrol car after driving on the wrong side of the road, AGAIN with no driver?

I understand fanboying for something but we need to look past Musk and Tesla's cults of personality, clutch our pearls, and be honest with ourselves that this system isn't ready for public use.
I agree. The event was tragic, but the system is clearly not ready for public use. What we have here are unfortunate Darwin Award runner ups.
The next crap..

Crap? You're too kind.

FYI, the police believe no one was in the driver's seat. There is much to be confirmed.
I will watch as more information comes out about this terrible accident. I try to avoid jumping to conclusions.
True ... who knows how bodies fly around inside the car when it hits a tree at high speed.

This must have been a VERY fast burning fire. From what I read in the news, the rear seat passenger was found still sitting upright!
Nasty.

The newest LIFEPO4 batteries (like hobbiests use) are inflammable

So given a few years this problem ends.

Odd part is gasoline vehicle fires are common, had two on my street alone in the last couple years.

Back