Tesla Fire

Forget the two morons in the car they got what they ordered, the problem of putting the battery fire out troubling. Is this problem going to be commonplace with more EV on the road.

Forget the two morons in the car they got what they ordered, the problem of putting the battery fire out troubling. Is this problem going to be commonplace with more EV on the road.

If you ever saw the episode of Top Gear where Hammond wrecked the Czech supercar and it caught fire, then caught fire spontaneously for weeks after, it truly does highlight one of the big issues with batteries.

IMO still not ready for prime time.
27.gif

Imagine paying Tesla thousands of dollars for the privilege of killing yourself with their Super Mega Advanced And Totally Not At All Deadly Self Driving Feature.

As for battery fires? Yeah, probably pretty common. There must be some kind of chemical extinguishing agent that is more effective than just dousing the battery with 30,000 gallons of water.

yes, batteries supply their own oxygen, so forget about putting a battery fire out

Imagine paying Tesla thousands of dollars for the privilege of killing yourself with their Super Mega Advanced And Totally Not At All Deadly Self Driving Feature.

As for battery fires? Yeah, probably pretty common. There must be some kind of chemical extinguishing agent that is more effective than just dousing the battery with 30,000 gallons of water.
not really, you need to get the battery cold enough so it can't sustain the fire. the fuel and oxygen are in the battery. water is the most suitable coolant

Was driving the wife's Kia today on the highway. It has all that idiotproofing and "lane keep assist". I took my hands off the steering wheel to test it and showed the wife how it works since she complained about the a 'power steering' quirk. The car stays in lane pretty well. After a couple minutes or less, the "LKA" shut off and a message popup... I'll sensor it for you.. .it says something like this "Moron driver's grasp not &^%ing detected. LKA has been disabled until the idiot suicidal driver puts his hands back on the fri99ing steering wheel. Have a nice day."

Oh kewl, I can hack it just like a Tezlah. Catch me in the Kia sleeping on the highway during rush our highway traffic next week.

I just can't let my commute take away from my sleep, book reading, or my handheld video games, because I'm so with it.

Perhaps you might be interested on how AP works... The article states no one was driving. I am not sure I believe that.
The cars do not work that way. The driver was an idiot and it's lucky no one else was hurt.

Autosteer requires you to keep your hands on the steering wheel by sensing torque applied to the steering wheel.
From Tesla;:

Do I still need to pay attention while using Autopilot?
Yes. Autopilot is a hands-on driver assistance system that is intended to be used only with a fully attentive driver. It does not turn a Tesla into a self-driving car nor does it make a car autonomous.

Before enabling Autopilot, you must agree to “keep your hands on the steering wheel at all times” and to always “maintain control and responsibility for your car.” Once engaged, if insufficient torque is applied, Autopilot will also deliver an escalating series of visual and audio warnings, reminding you to place your hands on the wheel if insufficient torque is applied. If you repeatedly ignore these warnings, you will be locked out from using Autopilot during that trip.

You can override any of Autopilot’s features at any time by steering, applying the brakes, or using the cruise control stalk to deactivate.

Perhaps you might be interested on how AP works... The article states no one was driving. I am not sure I believe that.
The cars do not work that way. The driver was an idiot and it's lucky no one else was hurt.

Autosteer requires you to keep your hands on the steering wheel by sensing torque applied to the steering wheel.
From Tesla;:

Yes. Autopilot is a hands-on driver assistance system that is intended to be used only with a fully attentive driver. It does not turn a Tesla into a self-driving car nor does it make a car autonomous.

Before enabling Autopilot, you must agree to “keep your hands on the steering wheel at all times” and to always “maintain control and responsibility for your car.” Once engaged, if insufficient torque is applied, Autopilot will also deliver an escalating series of visual and audio warnings, reminding you to place your hands on the wheel if insufficient torque is applied. If you repeatedly ignore these warnings, you will be locked out from using Autopilot during that trip.

You can override any of Autopilot’s features at any time by steering, applying the brakes, or using the cruise control stalk to deactivate.
Well known in the Tesla community that all that is required to bypass the Autopilot system's nagging is a weight on the wheel. You can buy one here if you'd like. Super well thought out system🙄.

From Tesla;:

“Do I still need to pay attention while using Autopilot?”

I guess that was a real question from a potential buyer. This is what is wrong with auto pilots.

Wemay.... You aren't walking around the fact... That massive batteries made of lithium ion catch fire. Easily.... Very easily.

Nor... Are we going to ignore the FACT.... Internal combustion engines catch fire from major hard accident hits quite easily too....

I saw a HORRIBLE accident scene off Rte 273 where a vehicle hit the trees and there was a heck of a fire... People died there... And a large pine tree off Rte 5 where a vehicle hit that tree probably going 60+ mph.... And obviously had a bad fire too.

There's always a chance of a fire.... Especially after a hard impact accident. Whether it's battery powered or ice powered.

not really, you need to get the battery cold enough so it can't sustain the fire. the fuel and oxygen are in the battery. water is the most suitable coolant

I can understand that line of reasoning.

With that said, lithium is still a group 1 metal. It's not as reactive as the larger group ones(sodium, potassium, so on) but at elevated temperatures in a fire you're still going to LiOH and a lot of hydrogen from reacting with the water.

Lithium battery fires are nasty in any situation, and even when they're cell phone sized.

Nor... Are we going to ignore the FACT.... Internal combustion engines catch fire from major hard accident hits quite easily too....

Most cars have somewhere between 12 and 20 gallons of gasoline on board. Yes, it's extremely flammable, but it will also likely die if starved of oxygen and a gasoline fire isn't likely to spontaneously reignite after it's put out.

Wemay.... You aren't walking around the fact... That massive batteries made of lithium ion catch fire. Easily.... Very easily.

I saw a HORRIBLE accident scene off Rte 273 where a vehicle hit the trees and there was a heck of a fire... People died there... And a large pine tree off Rte 5 where a vehicle hit that tree probably going 60+ mph.... And obviously had a bad fire too.

There's always a chance of a fire.... Especially after a hard impact accident. Whether it's battery powered or ice powered.
100%

Back