Tesla Fire

Would an ICE car traveling at that speed fared any better?
Teslas consistantly get the highest ratings in crash tests. Statistically that some of the safest cars on the road.
This was a horrific crash.
I think the point is, so many jumped to the conclusion that this was an AutoPilot caused, deadly accident.
The evidence seems to not support the reporting.

Even if the car were on AP, it would have taken a huge deliberate (and stupid!) effort by the driver. That's not AP in any sense of the word.
And the passenger? Speak up, your life depends on it, right? And what about pedestrians, other vehicles, etc.?

The cop that claimed with 100% certainty that the Tesla was "self driven" and "no one was in the drivers seat" before the facts were known should be demoted to pounding a beat. Those kinds of inflammatory statements (no pun intended) soon become facts in the mind of the public who never reads or sees the follow up reports.
A known fish wrap like the Washington Post, owned by Jeff Bezos who is obviously no fan of Elon Musk was one of the first to report the accident in such a sensational way. Funny how that works with the Washington Post huh ?
No worries. I'm sure all the publishers and news outlets will publish a heartfelt correction and all the posters who crucified Tesla will admit their mistake.
Right?

I won't hold my breath...

Toyota being Toyota, they hang on to trusted and proven technology until it is obsoleted. They are reliable because of that.
On the RAV4 hybrid they state they went to Nimh in January. It could be for many reasons. I would favor Nimh given the Prius in family has one since 2007 well beyond ten years lifespan and still works fine. New isn’t always better sometimes. I hope I didn’t jinx it.

No worries. I'm sure all the publishers and news outlets will publish a heartfelt correction and all the posters who crucified Tesla will admit their mistake.
Right?

They still also say not determined yet. There doesn't need to be a correction for ongoing speculation. Maybe they will never know since it is a strange one finding no driver in the drivers seat. At least he ran away theory seems to have died. The 550 feet was from home or on a curve, that seemed unclear. There should be video of the whole thing then, and at 200 feet the driver jumps to the passenger seat and says look ma no hands I got me a Tesla.

Right?

meanwhile, in the last week 2 drivers killed themselves with stupidity while driving their ICE cars at ridiculously haigh speeds. No one thought to recall these cars....lol

meanwhile, in the last week 2 drivers killed themselves with stupidity while driving their ICE cars at ridiculously haigh speeds. No one thought to recall these cars....lol
Teslas get all the attention, both good and bad. Sensationalism sells....
Last Sunday, coming south from Petaluma on 101 north of the GG Bridge in Marin, a beautiful Porsche came flying up behind me. I was doing a comfortable 80 in our GS... He sped around; close on his tail was an Audi and then a Benz. They might have hit 110 in their chase game. All beautiful new high end performance models. Easily $250K worth of cars.

They are still investigating. An ICE car accident would be in the news if there were two burned people, no driver, had auto pilot ability even if on or off, and lithium ion batteries. Changing the subject to ICE cars doesn’t change the actual subject. ICE accidents are not really news. Imo the bottom line is Tesla has a poorly secured auto pilot system, even if it is off, the driver may not think so. You can’t underestimate the public on things they try to go around or get mixed up understanding.

They are still investigating. An ICE car accident would be in the news if there were two burned people, no driver, had auto pilot ability even if on or off, and lithium ion batteries. Changing the subject to ICE cars doesn’t change the actual subject. ICE accidents are not really news. Imo the bottom line is Tesla has a poorly secured auto pilot system, even if it is off, the driver may not think so. You can’t underestimate the public on things they try to go around or get mixed up understanding.
Yes, the investigation has a long way to go. But you are wrong; there was a driver. The owner was filmed getting in the driver's seat.
Many cars have driver assist. Tesla's driver assist has many checks and warnings; you have to go to great lengths to override them. There is zero evidence the car was on AP.

Based on your logic, no one should have a driver's license, much less be trusted with a firearm.

Yes, the investigation has a long way to go. But you are wrong; there was a driver. The owner was filmed getting in the driver's seat.
He gets in the driver's seat, accelerated in 550 ft (per your post #119) enough to demolish the car. Highly doubt he had time to get in the back seat in that case unless he somehow did it at the very last second to smoke himself on purpose. As I mentioned earlier, he probably got thrown around all over inside the car when it impacted the tree and ended up in the back seat.

Many cars have driver assist. Tesla's driver assist has many checks and warnings; you have to go to great lengths to override them. There is zero evidence the car was on AP.

Based on your logic, no one should have a driver's license, much less be trusted with a firearm.
I still can read so I know a driver entered the vehicle. They say the draw no conclusions. It’s a bit murky the description of the report. The driver could get out and move to the rear of the vehicle any time. The 550 feet is unclear too because that’s just barely getting started. A driver belted in doesn’t make his way to the back seat unless the car rolls and even then end over end probably and still stays put. It’s all just bickering now. I have no problem saying Tesla made a poor auto pilot security system I should be able to have that opinion. Its based on fact. Sorry. I’m done. Whatever it is a strange story to be burned up 550 feet from home and somehow moved to the back seat.

You want a simple, plausible answer?
The owner was driving at a high rate of speed, lost control and crashed.
He then unbuckled his seat belt and tried to exit the vehicle, but was trapped.

There is zero evidence of AP nor is there any evidence of overriding AP such as fake hand grip pressure on the steering wheel.
In fact, the evidence leads otherwise as AP is unavailable on unmarked roads.

You want a simple, plausible answer?
The owner was driving at a high rate of speed, lost control and crashed.
He then unbuckled his seat belt and tried to exit the vehicle, but was trapped.

There is zero evidence of AP nor is there any evidence of overriding AP such as fake hand grip pressure on the steering wheel.
In fact, the evidence leads otherwise as AP is unavailable on unmarked roads.
Were they even wearing seat belts? None of the linked reports mention it one way or the other. Did the video showing him getting in also show him putting his seat belt on?

Were they even wearing seat belts? None of the linked reports mention it one way or the other. Did the video showing him getting in also show him putting his seat belt on?
I couldn't tell ya if they were wearing their seat belts. Teslas warn you if you don't have your belt on.

Forget the two morons in the car they got what they ordered, the problem of putting the battery fire out troubling. Is this problem going to be commonplace with more EV on the road.
Yes, it is. The only way to stop it is to make a propagation resistant design which adds a ton of cooling between cells, severely increasing cost and decreasing density/range… or remove latent heat post event through a lot of water.

Large Li-ion arrays are in their infancy. Wait until they’ve all got 10-15 years and poor service practices…

Back