Tesla driver charged with manslaughter after Autopilot crash that killed two

We don't have numbers, but I found this IIHS study on Mercedes interesting:

Distronic is an adaptive cruise control system that uses a radar sensor mounted on the front bumper to monitor traffic ahead and maintain the driver’s selected following distance. As traffic conditions dictate, the system employs up to 20 percent of the vehicle’s braking force to maintain the set following distance. The system also provides forward collision warning functionality. Collision warning is active even when adaptive cruise control is turned off. If the system detects the risk of a collision, warnings are both auditory and visual (a dashboard icon). If the driver brakes, the warnings are canceled. Adaptive cruise control is available at speeds of 20 mph or higher and can bring the car to a stop in traffic. The forward collision warning system is active at speeds of 20 mph or higher.

Distronic Plus, like its predecessor Distronic, provides adaptive cruise control and forward collision warning. It is functional at speeds of 20 mph and over if no lead vehicle is detected and at speeds of 0-120 mph when a lead vehicle is detected. Distronic Plus gets additional functionality from two other systems that are available only as part of Distronic Plus: Pre-Safe® Brake and Brake Assist Plus.

Some of the results I found interesting:
Screen Shot 2022-01-20 at 11.39.20 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-01-20 at 11.40.33 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-01-20 at 11.41.00 PM.jpg

You linked to Tesla. They also claim Plaid can go more than 200mph, but it cannot.
Software limited. I strongly suspect it actually can go that fast. clearly batteries can dump power into electric motors very quickly.

the limitation is not really the relatively brief discharge current of a top speed run, but rather the fact that the batteries empty quickly enough to limit overall distance at high speeds.

limiting the current and cooling the batteries may result in as few as 3 or as many as 5-6 laps at speed on the daytona oval. That part is not yet known.

Software limited. I strongly suspect it actually can go that fast. clearly batteries can dump power into electric motors very quickly.

the limitation is not really the relatively brief discharge current of a top speed run, but rather the fact that the batteries empty quickly enough to limit overall distance at high speeds.

limiting the current and cooling the batteries may result in as few as 3 or as many as 5-6 laps at speed on the daytona oval. That part is not yet known.
I know batteries can do it.
Limitation is not just discharg, but poor execution of suspension and braking components.

I know batteries can do it.
Limitation is not just discharg, but poor execution of suspension and braking components.
I watch rickety dragsters top 200 mph regularly. I am quite sure the car is stable enough for the task. And all of us would like good brakes at such speeds. However, aero drag is a common way to slow.

I watch rickety dragsters top 200 mph regularly. I am quite sure the car is stable enough for the task. And all of us would like good brakes at such speeds. However, aero drag is a common way to slow.
No it is not stable.
This is like buying refrigerator and saying: it is excellent, but freezer part is not working. Do you really need it? You can buy another freezer and put in garage.
I cannot remember any other company making 200mph car (and there are a lot if them) and saying: but really, do you need suspension that can handle that, or brakes?
Dodge Charger SRT burns full tank of gas in 17 minutes at WOT. But, you don’t need this suspension or brakes, bcs. you will burn gas fast.

No it is not stable.
This is like buying refrigerator and saying: it is excellent, but freezer part is not working. Do you really need it? You can buy another freezer and put in garage.
I cannot remember any other company making 200mph car (and there are a lot if them) and saying: but really, do you need suspension that can handle that, or brakes?
Dodge Charger SRT burns full tank of gas in 17 minutes at WOT. But, you don’t need this suspension or brakes, bcs. you will burn gas fast.
That’s exactly how they caught the stolen Dodge Hellcat in east Texas - sucked through all his gasoline. Not only was he leaving the LEO’s behind - but the news helicopter had to zoom his camera as it faded from the aircraft 😷

That’s exactly how they caught the stolen Dodge Hellcat in east Texas - sucked through all his gasoline. Not only was he leaving the LEO’s behind - but the news helicopter had to zoom his camera as it faded from the aircraft 😷
Yeah I remember that. And looked pretty stable at those speeds 😂

No it is not stable.
I like your analogy! Funny.

I get to drive these things from time to time. While I may be unaware of real design problems, I can tell you that I don’t see any issues what so ever with stability at speed With the Model S. As long as the alignment has some toe in.

driving a performance car at speed does require proper prep, good wheels and tires and appropriate aerodynamics. As to whether one will be slamming on the brakes at 200, or not, is another matter entirely.

Let’s keep in mind that Tesla‘s sedans have a very low CG - as good or better than a number of sports cars …

Let’s keep in mind that Tesla‘s sedans have a very low CG - as good or better than a number of sports cars …
But, M2 obliterates it on track. Reason is that while there is CG, weight distribution is not as good, and understeer is worse than Audi S3 (known understeer monster).

I like your analogy! Funny.

I get to drive these things from time to time. While I may be unaware of real design problems, I can tell you that I don’t see any issues what so ever with stability at speed With the Model S. As long as the alignment has some toe in.

driving a performance car at speed does require proper prep, good wheels and tires and appropriate aerodynamics. As to whether one will be slamming on the brakes at 200, or not, is another matter entirely.
Than there is simple solution: don’t advertise is as 200mph vehicle. Advertise it as whatever it can handle.

Yeah I remember that. And looked pretty stable at those speeds 😂

If you're going to try and outrun the police, that's the right vehicle to do it in. We had a chase here in Phoenix a few years ago involving a Smart Car...😂😂😂

I agree with several of you that Tesla needs to drop the name Autopilot. Autopilot is an industry and cultural term for able to self drive. NHTSA has been pushing Tesla for years to change the name but Musk won’t do it. The term Autopilot is a money maker for the company and Musk won’t back down from it. One of the novelties of Tesla automobiles is it’s Autopilot feature. If they drop the name Autopilot Tesla will lose a lot of its pop culture credibility. At this point it’s just Musk being too arrogant to change his views.

It will be interesting to see the outcome of the recent Tesla Autopilot accident manslaughter charge.

I agree with several of you that Tesla needs to drop the name Autopilot. Autopilot is an industry and cultural term for able to self drive. NHTSA has been pushing Tesla for years to change the name but Musk won’t do it. The term Autopilot is a money maker for the company and Musk won’t back down from it. One of the novelties of Tesla automobiles is it’s Autopilot feature. If they drop the name Autopilot Tesla will lose a lot of its pop culture credibility. At this point it’s just Musk being too arrogant to change his views.

It will be interesting to see the outcome of the recent Tesla Autopilot accident manslaughter charge.
And since this is a felony, the insurance can "step down" coverage and only pay state minimums - or at least try.

Back