Tesla driver charged with manslaughter after Autopilot crash that killed two

Tesla clearly states who is responsible for driving the vehicle. To get into an accident while on AP, you have to be negligent. A simple tap on the brakes disables it.

By the way, there are many examples of Tesla preventing accidents, but they don't get headlines.
Every vehicle that arrives at it's destination intact is 'preventing accidents'. Self driving or no self driving.
Most of us are out there for hours & hours, thousands of miles, preventing. So, no story for committing to common sense.

Maybe MB? They have the first, and only, Level 4 system and it is only good up to 60 km/hr. Everything else, like Tesla, is max Level 3. They should call Level 3 Cruise Control Plus or something similar.

Levels is one issue, open reporting is another.

I wish MB made their stats public on the usage of it like Tesla does.

A much as every wreck a tesla has stands out the overall risk is reduced with the use of " autopilot"

Every vehicle that arrives at it's destination intact is 'preventing accidents'. Self driving or no self driving.
Most of us are out there for hours & hours, thousands of miles, preventing. So, no story for committing to common sense.
That's not the point. Tesla, and other cars with accident avoidance, can see around the car 360* and react. No human can do that.
Perhaps you know Elon Musk makes headlines; this sells news media.
The car did not cause this accident; the driver did.

There is an average of accidents per X mile driven in every country.

Any assist device either adds or subtracts from that.

Of course you need to be able to collect the data to begin with to start to measure that.

That's not the point. Tesla, and other cars with accident avoidance, can see around the car 360* and react. No human can do that.
Perhaps you know Elon Musk makes headlines; this sells news media.
The car did not cause this accident; the driver did.
The driver 'trusted' autopilot. or at least the sales concept of it enough to engage it.
Suppose it's a matter for the courts ?
Would I think an auto pilot could safely depart a highway & stop at a red light at the off ramp?
No. But I wouldn't buy/test drive a Tesla to test whether it could or couldn't. The fact the current gov't agencies
let this late-stage beta testing go on on the highways & byways of the US speaks to the current 'Stupidity of the Age'.

The driver 'trusted' autopilot. or at least the sales concept of it enough to engage it.
Suppose it's a matter for the courts ?
Would I think an auto pilot could safely depart a highway & stop at a red light at the off ramp?
No. But I wouldn't buy/test drive a Tesla to test whether it could or couldn't. The fact the current gov't agencies
let this late-stage beta testing go on on the highways & byways of the US speaks to the current 'Stupidity of the Age'.
No. What is stupid is drivers using the product stupidly. Tesla states you are to maintain control of the car.
Hands on the wheel and eyes on the road. What is so hard to understand about that?

How do you know what the driver did, what he trusted? I sure don't. All I know is he made a deadly mistake.

No. What is stupid is drivers using the product stupidly. Tesla states you are to maintain control of the car.
Hands on the wheel and eyes on the road. What is so hard to understand about that?

How do you know what the driver did, what he trusted? I sure don't. All I know is he made a deadly mistake.

There are loads of stupid drivers out there driving all kinds of cars and not just Teslas. They seem to have the attention span of a gnat and don’t really care.

Put these drivers behind any wheel and they will be dangerous.

Any driver with hood sense knows that if a car with adaptive cruise keeps getting closer and closer to the semi truck in front of them then it’s time to turn off the cruise and drive without it.

I don’t like the way Tesla calls their system Autopilot but nobody should be using it while they are engaged in other activities. This driver deserves the punishment he or she gets.

I'm curious if you have any examples of tesla encouraging this?
Of course. That idiot in charge of Tesla just few days ago tweeted that reason why they hid defrosting features etc. is that only possible error can come from driver.
Tesla was always pushing autopilot mire than EV thing. I just hope DOJ knocks on his door with list of questions.

Of course. That idiot in charge of Tesla just few days ago tweeted that reason why they hid defrosting features etc. is that only possible error can come from driver.
Tesla was always pushing autopilot mire than EV thing. I just hope DOJ knocks on his door with list of questions.

As usual lots of drama and arm waving around this.

Thing is from what I can see only tesla makes public the data around driver assistance, and the numbers speak for themselves.

Screen Shot 2022-01-20 at 7.31.32 AM.png

Thing is from what I can see only tesla makes public the data around driver assistance, and the numbers speak for themselves.
No, no. Tesla says it is autopilot, not driving assistance. They purposely advertise like that.
Maybe people figured that they don’t want to be Guinea pigs in those rolling coffins, so accidents dropped. But I have witnessed death of two people bcs. autopilot in Terra Heute, IN. I will never understand how that thing was legally sold and especially people who actually buy it thinking it is excellent idea to give control of vehicle to software developed by person who is basically despising driving and with that it is questionable even does he/she has DL.

No, no. Tesla says it is autopilot, not driving assistance. They purposely advertise like that.
Maybe people figured that they don’t want to be Guinea pigs in those rolling coffins, so accidents dropped. But I have witnessed death of two people bcs. autopilot in Terra Heute, IN. I will never understand how that thing was legally sold and especially people who actually buy it thinking it is excellent idea to give control of vehicle to software developed by person who is basically despising driving and with that it is questionable even does he/she has DL.

Show me where they say that.

Here's their description of it.

Is Oliver Schmidt still in jail?

Show me where they say that.

Here's their description of it.

Is Oliver Schmidt still in jail?
So the title says Autpilot and you are asking me where it says that? Hint: it is in the title.

I think so. Can you imagine sentence for purposely killing people with autopilot?

So the title says Autpilot and you are asking me where it says that? Hint: it is in the title.

I think so. Can you imagine sentence for purposely killing people with autopilot?

The first sentence reads.

Autopilot is an advanced driver assistance system that enhances safety and convenience behind the wheel.

Is this still confusing to you?

The first sentence reads.

Autopilot is an advanced driver assistance system that enhances safety and convenience behind the wheel.

Is this still confusing to you?
So they still advertise as Autopilot, hinting to customers it is "auto."
To me, it is not confusing. Their marketing intent is more than obvious.

So they still advertise as Autopilot, hinting to customers it is "auto."
To me, it is not confusing. Their marketing intent is more than obvious.

A small % of any group are always confused.

Like Mark Train said: The man who does not read has no advantage of the man who cannot read.

View attachment 85200
Tesla sucks compared to trained driving professionals. Maybe paying attention works better than being on Autopilot.

Finally, UPS trucks were involved in 2,344 accidents in a 24 month period. In 2018, its trucks drove 2,919,242,771 miles. Its drivers were effectively in one accident for every 2,499,354 vehicle mile traveled, making UPS a comparatively safe trucking company. UPS accident is getting hit while parked, broken mirror etc. Anytime a UPS truck is hit it basically counts as an accident.

Last edited:
Tesla sucks compared to trained driving professionals. Maybe paying attention works better than being on Autopilot.

Finally, UPS trucks were involved in 2,344 accidents in a 24 month period. In 2018, its trucks drove 2,919,242,771 miles. Its drivers were effectively in one accident for every 2,499,354 vehicle mile traveled, making UPS a comparatively safe trucking company.

Not surprising pro drivers are better than autopilot or the "public".

Which manufacturers offer an improvement for " the public" ?

Back