Tesla driver charged with manslaughter after Autopilot crash that killed two

Wasn't sure if this was an electric car topic, but I guess it isn't because there are a lot of other systems that at least partially take over for the driver. However, the driver seems to have been charged as he was responsible for the safe operation of the vehicle.

In the Tesla crash, police said a Model S was moving at a high speed when it left a freeway and ran a red light in the Los Angeles suburb of Gardena and struck a Honda Civic at an intersection on Dec. 29, 2019. Two people who were in the Civic, Gilberto Alcazar Lopez and Maria Guadalupe Nieves-Lopez died at the scene. Riad and a woman in the Tesla were hospitalized with non-life threatening injuries.​
Criminal charging documents do not mention Autopilot. But the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, which sent investigators to the crash, confirmed last week that Autopilot was in use in the Tesla at the time of the crash.​

Good it's about time we get these garbage laden vehicles off the road.

I thought this sounded a bit overdramatic, but before I said anything I googled "fatal autopilot crash." OMG.

The list is unacceptable and the causes, where they could be found, trivial. This is scary.

EVERYTHING is permissible if in the name of "Green" **** the common sense, full speed ahead!

Autopilot is more or less independent of the power source. Granted I think it would be tough to create a manual transmission version.

Some of us were able to accurately articulate the types of problems likely to happen with such systems. An autopilot simply can’t process a situation like a human
I'm not defending Autopilot systems, but your comment seems to imply that humans don't make errors. I think we all know that just isn't the case.
My gripe is with drivers who think they can fully yield driving to the autopilot system. That is nothing less than negligent. Ultimately, the driver is responsible controlling a motor vehicle. The real fault lays in the driver, not in the autopilot system. The fact that charges are being brought against the driver says that the prosecution also feels that way.

I do feel that Tesla has some level of responsibility, if for no other reason, by what is implied in naming the system Autopilot. Of course that has been discussed here on BITOG more than once.

Regardless of the make of vehicle, or any automated systems that are active at the time of the crash, the driver is still responsible. Period.

There are so many of these, and there will still be more… There needs to be some sort of law to streamline the prosecution process and hold the driver responsible, while also placing some culpability onto the manufacturer for the failure in their system.

This is not unlike blaming the auto pilot in an airplane for the crash…

Regardless of the make of vehicle, or any automated systems that are active at the time of the crash, the driver is still responsible. Period.

There are so many of these, and there will still be more… There needs to be some sort of law to streamline the prosecution process and hold the driver responsible, while also placing some culpability onto the manufacturer for the failure in their system.

This is not unlike blaming the auto pilot in an airplane for the crash…

yup.

Or the gun for the murder
or the knife for the murder.....

People will go to any length to shift burden of responsibility, the excuses have evolved over time.

My fav was the audi 500 debacle-

" The throttle was stuck wide open and the brakes simultaneously failed"
- but then both systems magically returned to working condition AFTER the crash-

One of the saddest facts about car accidents is that most of them are preventable. ... A 2016 study by the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) found that human error accounts for anywhere between 94% to 96% of all auto accidents.

encouraging autopilot abuse is how tesla was able to market it so effectively. highly trained gorillas on social media did all the dirty work for them

millions of people think these cars can drive themselves

encouraging autopilot abuse is how tesla was able to market it so effectively. highly trained gorillas on social media did all the dirty work for them

I'm curious if you have any examples of tesla encouraging this?

I am not sure I follow. Who trained these gorillas?
Tesla does not tell anyone these cars drive themselves; quite the opposite.
It is true that jackass drivers have gone to lengths to override AP controls, like keeping hands on the steering wheel. But purposely using a tool wrong is hardly the tool's fault.
A simple touch of the brake pedal disengages AP.

I am curious to find out what comes of this. Most of these Tesla stories end up being attention getters for news outlets. Anything Tesla or Elon sells...

Last edited:
Back