Tesla disappointment. Need luxury EV/efficient suggestions.

Yeah, they write songs about Maserati's, but not about Tesla.

I remember when Maserati meant an exotic, now anyone that can afford a mid-range audi can lease one, and anyone on the market for a mid range japanese car can buy a used one because they depreciate like hand grenades.

I remember when Maserati meant an exotic, now anyone that can afford a mid-range audi can lease one, and anyone on the market for a mid range japanese car can buy a used one because they depreciate like hand grenades.
A friend got one of those Maseratis for dirt cheap. I don't remember exactly, but it dropped like 60 large in 3 years.

A friend got one of those Maseratis for dirt cheap. I don't remember exactly, but it dropped like 60 large in 3 years.

They are all over hollywood, buddy leased one "for the wife", gave us all ride in it, was pretty nice, but supremely maintenance intensive with lots of worn parts in real short order like before the end of a 3 year lease, and it didnt see much more than commutes the occasional drive on mulholland. She kissed a pole, and I mean kissed - it was 15K to fix.

Maseratis for everyone and like benzes for everyone - when everyone is special no one is.

Surprised that volvo hasnt come up here yet. Where are they in their ev releases? The new s60 has beautiful lines.

I owned an e-tron for about a month. I did NOT sufficiently test drive it beforehand with my wife and that was a big mistake. A few criticisms:
- The black interior really wasn't black, it was clearly grey
- The seat materials were not up to snuff for the price. They felt like cheap vinyl with poor bolstering, which I expect was avoidable if I had opted for the extended leather option? I think the one I briefly test drove months prior had that.
- Interior has a funny smell, not sure why, this vehicle was brand new
- Door trim doesn't line up well with the dash and materials where it meets look cheap
- I was not a fan of the scroll wheels on the steering wheel and the black plastic felt cheap
- Interface for managing settings and phones is a bit cumbersome. You have to do a lot of swiping and clicking to do things that are quicker on other systems
- Automatic braking and collision avoidance is a bit intrusive. I had it stop me from pulling into my butcher because it thought I was going to hit a vehicle that was turning into the next driveway up, which then had me stopped partially in the oncoming lane.
- Charging system/app needs some work. You cannot easily set it up to charge off-peak for example and the app often gets out of synch with what is actually taking place with the car, like charging. The one morning I thought it didn't charge because the app said it was at 76%, got in the vehicle and it was fully charged. App didn't update its state of charge until much later in the day. On another day it said it was charging and the next day, it clearly hadn't.

On the other hand:
- The ride is excellent, though you can tell the vehicle is heavy
- Sound deadening is amazing, the unit is coffin quiet inside
- Doors feel solid
- Stereo is very good
- Dash layout is good and gauges easy to read
- Brakes are excellent
- 360 camera is very nice and image quality on all the cameras is extremely good
- HUD works well and displays the current speed limit which is a nice feature
- Navigation is great, and shows in the cluster, this is well executed
- Headlights are amazing

If I were inclined for a do-over (I'm not now) I'd probably have also test driven the Q5 hybrid, which might have been a better fit. If they offered it trimmed out like an SQ5, that would have been even closer to the mark I think.

I may take a tour down this road again once there is a hybrid or electric Grand Cherokee. My 2016 and my 2020 both have markedly nicer interiors than the e-tron, so if you are used to your Maserati, you may find the e-tron to be a let-down in that department.
When I leave my neighborhood I meet up with an e-tron on a regular basis. Probably a '20 MY. Followed it the other day and the PS rear tail light strip was flickering.
Should be warranty, but would be interesting to see how much one of those costs to replace.

When I leave my neighborhood I meet up with an e-tron on a regular basis. Probably a '20 MY. Followed it the other day and the PS rear tail light strip was flickering.
Should be warranty, but would be interesting to see how much one of those costs to replace.

They skipped 2020, so it's probably either a '19 or a '21.

that was another reason I got rid of it. I’ll pay big money to service a Ferrari because it’s a Ferrari. but not a Maserati that you see every 2 blocks that uses Chrysler parts. Plus it was really starting to show its age at 6 years/47k miles. They really aren’t designed with durability in mind. Suspension was needing a overhaul soon. That was the deal breaker for me to keep it any longer.

I paid 36k for mine in April 2019. I got rid of it November 2020 after only 1.5 years/11k miles and took a 17k depreciation hit...Maserati is about the only used car that can depreciate as fast as a new one. I’ll never buy one again. Not even their MC20. I rather fork the extra money over for the Ferrari equivalent becuase atleast it’ll still be worth something after 5 years. Probably more reliable too.

Surprised that volvo hasnt come up here yet. Where are they in their ev releases? The new s60 has beautiful lines.

their T8 PHEV cars are nice but expensive. Don’t really trust dual charge tech for long term ownership. Will probably depreciate hard as they fall out of warranty. Polestar EVs are still alittle too expensive also. Plus there’s only like 3 stores across the US that sell them.

The XC40 EV is interesting. But life changed and I ended up getting a Tacoma. Nice little truck but the recent gas price hike has me annoyed at the pump. So I’m looking to pick up a 2nd more efficient vehicle to daily and leave the truck for when I haul. PHEV ideally, but most if not all PHEVs are boring. Driving boring cars for the past 6 months is taking a toll on me.

friend of mine is selling a mint 19 Honda Clarity Plug in which has me intrigued. Boring car, but really efficient. My other pick is a Mustang EcoBoost. I won’t mind paying for gas if it can accelerate better than my 159hp truck.

Back