Terry cloth bonets for rotary??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I want to refresh my black 2002 Acura's paint. I have got 10" and 6" random orbit polishers with 1 foam and 6 microfiber and terry cloth benets. Yesterday I got myself a rotary polisher (7.5" Simoniz) with again two terry cloth and one foam bonets. I had in mind using Maguiar's #9 and #3 and NexTech would the stuff I own be good enough to do that??
And another question is Simoniz 7.5" variable speed rotary a good machine for a begginer?

Last edited:
I'd skip the Simoniz polisher for a DeWalt or in this case altogether for a Porter-Cable 9400 series which would be much safer for the paint.

Is this what you bought?

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18813

That machine is quite a bit different than that cheap orbital buffers you have. It can produce far better results but also can seriously damage your paint if you are not careful, and skilled at the use of it.

If you want to use it, I strongly recommend buying a velcro backing plate and a couple of foam pads for polishing. I simply would not trust a tie-on terrycloth bonnet to safely polish my car. You can pick up a backing plate and pads at a well stocked auto body paint store.

I'd rather see you switch to a plate and pads but its your call. If you want use what you have, start with the #9 swirl mark remover and the terrycloth bonnet, follow up with the #3 and the foam bonnet. Keep the bonnets clean (you'll probably have to wash them several times during the job) or consider picking up some extra bonnets.

Apply the NXT with one of the orbital buffers and a microfiber bonnet. Wipe off with a microfiber towel and you'll be good to go.

Have fun!

Quote:
If you want to use it, I strongly recommend buying a velcro backing plate and a couple of foam pads for polishing. I simply would not trust a tie-on terrycloth bonnet to safely polish my car. You can pick up a backing plate and pads at a well stocked auto body paint store.

x2

Thanx guys,

I have a lot of terry cloth bonnets but now I want to get a flex backing plate and some pads (Lake Country, Meguiars?) just wonder if my cheapy Simoniz is good enough?

Another question,
When using swirl remover like Meguiar's #3 or #9 how long do I need to "buff it in" until the compound starts to get dry and get powdery? Or stop when it is still relativelly wet??

megs polishes/compunds (and most other companies) you want to remove the residue while it is still wet or damp. You DO NOT want to let the polish/compund dry. If you polish to dry buff, you have the potential to instill more scratches and swirls. Plus it makes it that much harder to remove the residue.

Only thing that should be allowed to dry or haze are waxes and sealants.

Originally Posted By: Dominik
Thanx guys,

I have a lot of terry cloth bonnets but now I want to get a flex backing plate and some pads (Lake Country, Meguiars?) just wonder if my cheapy Simoniz is good enough?

I use the 8.5" Lake Country pads (white and black). Since you car is also black you might want to try 3M Perfect-It for dark cars for a polish.

97GTP, I just happened to have 3M glaze for dark cars and perfect it 3M wax I have heard good things about 3M stuff, wonder
how it compares to Meguiars Gold Class?

The 3M Perfect-it I was referring is a polish, I then apply Collinite 476s for lasting protection. I apply the polish by hand per panel and then polish it off at about 1500-2000 rpms with the rotary and a white pad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back