Techron Question

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
What is the difference between Techron Fuel System Cleaner and Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner?

266703163-1-300wx300h.png
1678710705814.jpeg

They both go into the gas tank, run through the same lines, go through the injectors, and end up being burned in the cylinders. Wouldn't they do the same thing? Since the injectors are part of the fuel system, wouldn't the fuel system cleaner clean them as well as other parts of the system?

Guessing the complete fuels system cleaner is more potent as it's "concentrated?" Other than that I'm :oops: myself!

I pulled the SDS some time ago and the complete has an additional ingredient which is listed as "proprietary" and has only a chevron number describing it. How that help us or if it does at all is anyone's guess.

I pulled the SDS some time ago and the complete has an additional ingredient which is listed as "proprietary" and has only a chevron number describing it. How that help us or if it does at all is anyone's guess.
It doesn't help in this instance, and it shows that an SDS is produced for a very different reason. The proprietary ingredient isn't likely relevant for that purpose.

Beyond that, no manufacturer ever reveals trade secrets in a PDS.

The best guess is that Techron Complete contains more PEA, with "Marine" version being the highest concentration and the Fuel Inj Cleaner is the entry level product. That is all speculative though...

It doesn't help in this instance, and it shows that an SDS is produced for a very different reason. The proprietary ingredient isn't likely relevant for that purpose.

Beyond that, no manufacturer ever reveals trade secrets in a PDS.
It is relevant.
The proprietary ingredient is PEA, which Chevron had some of the earliest patents on.
This would only be in the complete fuel system cleaner.

Fuel Injector cleaners typically don't have PEA or very low concentrations.
The mechanism for keeping injectors clean is very different from keeping the whole system clean including valves, cylinder head/walls, etc.

So, bottom line is yes they are different products.

It is relevant.
The proprietary ingredient is PEA, which Chevron had some of the earliest patents on.
This would only be in the complete fuel system cleaner.

Fuel Injector cleaners typically don't have PEA or very low concentrations.
The mechanism for keeping injectors clean is very different from keeping the whole system clean including valves, cylinder head/walls, etc.

So, bottom line is yes they are different products.
Not for the purposes of an SDS.

What is the difference between Techron Fuel System Cleaner and Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner?

They both go into the gas tank, run through the same lines, go through the injectors, and end up being burned in the cylinders. Wouldn't they do the same thing? Since the injectors are part of the fuel system, wouldn't the fuel system cleaner clean them as well as other parts of the system?
What are you running for gasoline? You don't want it or need it. It may loose the hounds of ^$#!

Last edited:
So, if the requirements for fuel injectors are different from those required in the rest of the fuel system, might the Complete Fuel System Cleaner have a detrimental effect on the injectors? Or would the injector cleaner have little or no effect on the rest of the fuel system?

Ok, I guess what I'm saying is it is relevant that the ingredient is on one SDS but not the other.
I'm not really sure what you're point is otherwise?
My point is that an SDS is for firefighters, shippers and first-responders to assess safety hazards with a product. Manufacturers are allowed to hide trade secrets on an SDS if it isn't relevant to the safety of the product. If it is on one but not the other, then it really comes down to who wrote the sheet. Back in another life I used to write them for a company, and if I was directed to not disclose some compound that didn't affect firefighters or medical personnel then that's what I would do. SDS do not have to disclose everything in the product.

My point is that an SDS is for firefighters, shippers and first-responders to assess safety hazards with a product. Manufacturers are allowed to hide trade secrets on an SDS if it isn't relevant to the safety of the product. If it is on one but not the other, then it really comes down to who wrote the sheet. Back in another life I used to write them for a company, and if I was directed to not disclose some compound that didn't affect firefighters or medical personnel then that's what I would do.
I feel we've had the same discussion/disagreement on other posts. For reference I have written them as well, fairly recently.
You can use 'trade secret' and 'proprietary' on anything you don't want to disclose yes. And in general, yes, an SDS is not the ideal place to get composition information.
But in this instance if one product has 'trade secret' listed and the other does not...the same manufacturer...Can we not make some kind of conclusion?
Especially when we have some general knowledge of what a fuel system cleaner is vs. fuel injector cleaner?

And an amine (PEA) is a bit different in chemical composition and safety consideration from petroleum/naptha (and related compounds).
So, that's why we see it generally included.

So, if the requirements for fuel injectors are different from those required in the rest of the fuel system, might the Complete Fuel System Cleaner have a detrimental effect on the injectors? Or would the injector cleaner have little or no effect on the rest of the fuel system?
The fuel system cleaner will take care of the injectors as well. The fuel injector cleaner will have no effect on the rest of the fuel system.

Just some sage advice. Don't put Techron in you old Camry. I had problems with many vehicles using this stuff. If you are using top tier fuel, this is completely unnecessary.

Just some sage advice. Don't put Techron in you old Camry. I had problems with many vehicles using this stuff. If you are using top tier fuel, this is completely unnecessary.
Thank you for your advice. I don't use the product nor do I intend to. I only use Top Tier fuel.

Can't speak to Techron FI cleaner efficacy or difference. However, of the Techron engine system cleaner products, Techron CFSC has been considered their 'gold standard' product. Used it many times, including older vehicles. Prefer to 20oz size. In lieu of that, also like Gumout Regane High Mileage FSC.

FAQS

1) Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner:
Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner cleans harmful deposits from clogged fuel injectors and dirty carburetors in one tankful.
https://cglapps.chevron.com/sdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=422702&docFormat=PDF

2) Techron Complete Fuel System: Techron Concentrate Plus, Complete Fuel System Cleaner, is recommended by many major automakers, the world over. It is an unsurpassed, complete fuel system cleaner, that can help: • Clean deposits from fuel injectors, carburetors, intake valves, and combustion chambers • Cleans, restores, and protects the entire fuel system, including sulfur-contaminated fuel gauge sensors One tankful of fuel treated with Techron Concentrate Plus, Complete Fuel System Cleaner, can help: • Maximize fuel economy1 • Restore lost power and performance • Restore and protect operation of the fuel gauge sensor • Minimize harmful exhaust emissions • Relieve cold start problems • Minimize deposit-related knock and ping • Restore lost acceleration • Remove deposits from two-stroke engines
https://cglapps.chevron.com/sdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=511612&docFormat=PDF

>>>> If I'll choose between the two, I'll pick Techron Complete Fuel System.

FAQS

1) Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner:
Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner cleans harmful deposits from clogged fuel injectors and dirty carburetors in one tankful.
https://cglapps.chevron.com/sdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=422702&docFormat=PDF

2) Techron Complete Fuel System: Techron Concentrate Plus, Complete Fuel System Cleaner, is recommended by many major automakers, the world over. It is an unsurpassed, complete fuel system cleaner, that can help: • Clean deposits from fuel injectors, carburetors, intake valves, and combustion chambers • Cleans, restores, and protects the entire fuel system, including sulfur-contaminated fuel gauge sensors One tankful of fuel treated with Techron Concentrate Plus, Complete Fuel System Cleaner, can help: • Maximize fuel economy1 • Restore lost power and performance • Restore and protect operation of the fuel gauge sensor • Minimize harmful exhaust emissions • Relieve cold start problems • Minimize deposit-related knock and ping • Restore lost acceleration • Remove deposits from two-stroke engines
https://cglapps.chevron.com/sdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=511612&docFormat=PDF

>>>> If I'll choose between the two, I'll pick Techron Complete Fuel System.
About the only thing it doesn't cure is cancer :eek:

Back